Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordsmith Software updated - 08/21/10 08:19 PM
Bulletin board software is updated. If something doesn't work, please post its details here.

This is mainly a bug-fix update. A new feature is Facebook and Twitter buttons at the end of a thread to enable an easy way to share the thread on those networks.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Software updated - 08/21/10 08:57 PM
Something wrong with the formatting. A CSS problem perhaps?
Posted By: Zed Re: Software updated - 08/21/10 09:32 PM
It looks odd for me too. The index has a biiig gap on the left of the screen and print scrunched into the right.
Then when i open a topic everything is on the left with a blank right of the screen. But the reply box is again way over to the right.

Usable but awkward. Though I must say I'm glad it's not just my computer (or my lack of computer skills.)
Posted By: Wordsmith Re: Software updated - 08/21/10 09:52 PM
Perhaps the stylesheet you've chosen isn't working well with the update. Try a few different stylesheets and see if that makes a difference. Here's how to change it:

My stuff -> Edit Preferences -> Your preferred stylesheet
Posted By: Faldage Re: Software updated - 08/21/10 09:57 PM
I see no problems. I'm using the default style sheet.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Software updated - 08/21/10 11:00 PM
the GooG_v2, infopop, and ebay styles (others?) are broken; i.e., all those which don't put up the Forum Stats etc. along the right-hand side. (personally, I have no use for that stuff and feel it just takes up space.)

edit: 6 of the 10 Top Posters no longer post here, and the number one is deceased. I don't need to be reminded of all that all the time.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Software updated - 08/22/10 02:19 AM
sad that "sunny_dropshadow" is broken. frown

you can also change the stylesheet right on the Front Page, on the bottom left.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Software updated - 08/22/10 02:23 PM
Back to the default. That seems to work.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Software updated - 08/22/10 05:17 PM
but, with a normal font size, I can't even see all the forums above the fold with the default style. /continued whinging
Posted By: BranShea Re: Software updated - 08/22/10 08:15 PM
The default is closest to the old layout. - Bye bye blue GooG_v 2.- Never mind. The other choices are just to unpractical to use. Too much scrolling. Ah well... progress, you see, progress I guess. ( have the forums above the fold in full view.)

Posted By: beck123 Re: Software updated - 08/23/10 01:31 AM
I forgot how to remove the info boxes on the right of the screen (Top Posters, Newest Members, etc.) Any help will be appreciated.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Software updated - 08/23/10 02:52 AM
I did not know they could be removed.
Right now I don't have them, seems they have not been there all
day: first day of this. I thought something was wrong with the
site. On this screen right now I have nothing but this box
in which I am typing and the smiley thingies above it. Is there
something wrong with the site???
Posted By: Faldage Re: Software updated - 08/23/10 10:37 AM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

A) They don't show up on the Reply screen and 2) if you're far enough down in a thread they'll be up at the top where you'd have to scroll up to see them.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Software updated - 08/23/10 01:57 PM
..and there used to be 3 or 4 screen styles that didn't display them at all, thus freeing up space for forums -- which is what I've been whinging about!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Software updated - 08/23/10 03:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

A) They don't show up on the Reply screen and 2) if you're far enough down in a thread they'll be up at the top where you'd have to scroll up to see them.

Sho'nuff, alright! Thar they be!
Thanks. I did not scroll down far enough. But never took them
too seriously anyhow, on the right side of the screen, so out
of sight out of mind. But the screen still looks like it is
missing something, only half there or something.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Software updated - 08/24/10 09:30 PM
I switched from GooG_v2 to default, and now it all lines up fine.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Software updated - 08/25/10 12:21 AM
I just did as well, per your suggestion. Things definitely
look better, tho' the blues are lighter in hue.
Posted By: Zed Re: Software updated - 08/28/10 12:00 AM
Thanks, I'd forgotten all about stylesheets. Much better now.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Software updated - 09/12/10 02:18 PM
While we're on about changes to functionality on the board. Whenever I respond to somebody's post, my answer appears as a response to the opening post, and is sorted, in the view I have, at the bottom of the threads. I would say it has become contextually dethreaded.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Software updated - 09/13/10 01:46 AM
Huh. I had just posted in response to eta in the Hardware thread when I read your post, zmjezhd, so I went back to look, and sure enough it read that I was replying to Wordsmith. I couldn't remember if I had clicked on the Reply button in his post or simply used the quick-reply box at the bottom, which used to show that I had responded to the last post. SO--I deleted that one after copying the content, then went back and clicked Reply in his post. This time it showed as me responding to him.
I clicked the Reply button in your post, and...

Edit: it shows I have responded to your post.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Software updated - 09/13/10 10:48 AM
I clicked the Reply button in your post, and...

Let's see if this (as outlined by you) works. I hadn't even noticed the Reply vs Quick Reply. I simply responded as I always have. Ah, well, things change.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Software updated - 09/13/10 02:13 PM
is there a difference between the two(2) 'quick reply's; i.e., the link in the post box viz the box below the posts?
-joe (can't be arsed to try all the vars at the mo) friday
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Software updated - 09/13/10 02:14 PM
test
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Software updated - 09/13/10 02:15 PM
test
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Software updated - 09/13/10 02:17 PM
okay, so I lied. but they are different!! - the first test was via the link, the second via the box, which actually makes some sense to me. maybe I was a programmer in a previous lif.. hey!
-joe (shaking head at programming details, but they still can't get the basics right) friday
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Software updated - 09/13/10 04:02 PM
maybe I was a programmer in a previous lif.. hey!

Well, I have been a programmer in this life and it makes no sense to me, but then that may be why I went back to writing. wink
Posted By: tsuwm making sense? - 09/13/10 04:15 PM
if you click on the Quick Reply within a post, you obviously mean to reply to that post. post a reply via the Quick Reply box below all of the posts, you obviously are replying to the thread; i.e., the OP. neh?
-joe (why do I always end up having to splain myself here?!) friday
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: making sense? - 09/13/10 04:27 PM
post a reply via the Quick Reply box below all of the posts, you obviously are replying to the thread; i.e., the OP. neh?

Yes, that is its functionality now after the software/hardware upgrades, but what I am saying is that was not its functionality since I have been posting here. I almost always have used the Quick reply box under the post I was responding to, and it always ended up under that same post. Feh! I won't lose any sleep whinging over it, now that I know the trick.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: making sense? - 09/13/10 04:35 PM
yep, you have that choice now. and all's i'm saying is it does make some sense from a programmer's perspective.
-joe (and yes, I were one in my pre-retirement life) friday
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: not making sense - 09/13/10 04:56 PM
Well, you're welcome to your opinion, and all I'm saying is it does not make sense to me. The Quick Reply box appears directly under whatever posting you happen to be reading, and the old functionality is the one that makes sense to me. Why attach the Quick Reply to the Opening Post as it is not visible at the time? Also, the other board software I have used works the way I would expect this boards software to work (i.e., the way it did until recently).

Of course, it dawns on me now that I may be in a different situation than you as I use Threaded View and most everybody else on board seems to use the unthreaded one.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: not making sense - 09/13/10 05:29 PM
>it dawns on me now..

I had thought of that also, but I use unthreaded so I virtually shrugged. {g}
-joe (angle brackets get me every time) friday
Posted By: Jackie Re: not making sense - 09/14/10 02:39 AM
Holy cow--I can't believe I taught you whiz kids something!

Edit: zmjezhd, I'll bet Faldage still reads in threaded mode. He told me he did, lo these many years ago; and I had no idea what he was talking about.
Posted By: Faldage Re: not making sense - 09/14/10 10:21 AM
Waiting to see if Nuncle takes the bet.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: not making sense - 09/14/10 12:08 PM
I'll bet Faldage still reads in threaded mode. He told me he did, lo these many years ago;

I was thinking of Faldo as one of the prime examples of anti-threadedism as I understand it. But, who knows?

and I had no idea what he was talking about.

So do I, sometimes. wink
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: not making sense - 09/14/10 12:11 PM
Waiting to see if Nuncle takes the bet.

No, I'm not really much of a gambling man.
© Wordsmith.org