Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordsmith board software updated - 02/25/09 08:16 AM
The software for the bulletin board has been updated to the latest version. If anything doesn't work, please respond to this post. Thanks.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: board software updated - 03/21/09 05:23 PM
Anu, somewhere along the line, in one of these updates, we have lost the ability to post Unicode in these forums. Now it all comes out like this: Я ‽ etc.
Posted By: Wordsmith Re: board software updated - 03/21/09 06:55 PM
If your post includes Unicode, make sure you choose one of the last two options in the pull-down menu:

using UBBCode
using HTML
using HTML and UBBCode

In other words UBBCode does not support Unicode.

(Here are the Unicode characters that you included in your post: Я ‽)

While this was not a bug, there were some other bugs in the software update and the developer has released a bugfix that I'll apply over this weekend.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: board software updated - 03/21/09 07:08 PM
There are no choices other than "using UBBCode" in the dropdown for me.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: board software updated - 03/21/09 07:21 PM
yes, that menu gives us peons no options.
Posted By: Wordsmith Re: board software updated - 03/21/09 08:16 PM
Thanks for catching this! Fixed now.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: board software updated - 03/21/09 08:44 PM
Я ‽

ah! ¡muy bien!

Posted By: Faldage Re: board software updated - 03/21/09 09:16 PM
Upgrades "Я" Us!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: board software updated - 03/21/09 09:49 PM
धन्यवाद!
Posted By: latishya Re: board software updated - 03/21/09 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
धन्यवाद!

हाँ जी, शुक्रिया! Quoted Unicode is still mangled. I can't see a way to select that recommended option before replying to a post including Unicode and maybe that's why I get the values above in the quote box.
Posted By: latishya Re: board software updated - 03/21/09 10:00 PM
Originally Posted By: latishya
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
धन्यवाद!

हाँ जी, शुक्रिया! Quoted Unicode is still mangled. I can't see a way to select that recommended option before replying to a post including Unicode and maybe that's why I get the values above in the quote box.

This is a bit disconcerting because it seems that when you make a reply to Unicode characters you see their value, like & # 2 3 3 2 without the spaces but when the reply is posted the character displays and not the value. This is good if you remember not to think the quote has been mangled like I did.
Posted By: Avyy Re: board software updated - 03/22/09 02:44 AM
यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ. (I am trying out the Unicode)

How did you get it Latishya/Zmejhd?
Posted By: Wordsmith Re: board software updated - 03/22/09 03:04 AM
OK, I've applied the latest release v.7.5.1 (a bugfix) I mentioned earlier. If anything appears not to be working, post a message here. Thank you.
Posted By: latishya Re: board software updated - 03/22/09 03:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Avyy
यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ. (I am trying out the Unicode)

How did you get it Latishya/Zmejhd?

You have to click on the little drop-down box below the posting window and select "using HTML and UBB Code" as in this photo
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: board software updated - 03/22/09 11:25 AM
यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ

too bad it doesn't show when you use Preview.

and what does this read, Avyy? cool
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: board software updated - 03/22/09 01:26 PM
what does this read यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ

yunīkoḍ ājmāṃ rahī huṃ

My Hindi is not that good (and it may not even be Hindi), but the first word is Unicode transliterated, it's a woman speaking in the first person, and it's the progressive (i.e., -ing) construction.
Posted By: latishya Re: board software updated - 03/22/09 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: etaoin
यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ

It could be translated simply "testing Unicode" or "trying Unicode". I tested a theory about current spelling by googling for "आज्माँ" and only found this thread. the ज, "j" can be made into a "z" by adding a dot, or nukta, like this ज़ and that makes the word easier to find, especially in its infinitive form. The nukta is often omitted both in spelling and speaking but an acquaintance tells me that in rural backwaters of Uttar Pradesh a sort of hypercorrection, using ज़ "z" when it should be ज "j". I spend most of my time around Punjabis so I almost never say "z", always "j". I also know some people who refuse to pronounce ज़ as "z" because the sound is a Persian import via Urdu and is offensive to their nationalist sensitivities. They don't like the word "nukta" for the same reason because it isn't "shuddh" or "pure" Hindi. Silly people.
Posted By: latishya Re: board software updated - 03/22/09 07:48 PM
यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ

It could be translated simply "testing Unicode" or "trying Unicode". I tested a theory about current spelling by googling for "आज्माँ" and only found this thread. the , "j" can be made into a "z" by adding a dot, or nukta, like this and that makes the word easier to find, especially in its infinitive form. The nukta is often omitted both in spelling and speaking but an acquaintance tells me that in rural backwaters of Uttar Pradesh a sort of hypercorrection, using ज़ "z" when it should be ज "j". I spend most of my time around Punjabis so I almost never say "z", always "j". I also know some people who refuse to pronounce ज़ as "z" because the sound is a Persian import via Urdu and is offensive to their nationalist sensitivities. They don't like the word "nukta" for the same reason because it isn't "shuddh" or "pure" Hindi. Silly people.
Posted By: BranShea Re: board software updated - 03/23/09 05:18 PM
The board's software update has led to Hindi and Urdu writings.
I hope you will let me share this with you:

I took part in a "Kites for Kids" benefit project.
School children from all sorts of immigration background delivered an idiomatic expression
in their native tongue. 150 painters of our Society chose one or two to set this to image on a large kite. I could not hand-copy this complex writing, enlarged it and transmitted it in the oldfashioned transparent-sheet way.
I chose Urdu: "Friendship is like a plant, if you don't take care of it, it will die".
Amazing how many words come out of these rather few signs. (enhanced signs)
Urdu text
(it's too big an image so I linked it)They will be hanged in City Hall and after that they will go to hospitals for chronically ill children.

A link to the ones already done in the virtual Hall. Click any number in the sideline and a kite will come up front: collection

Posted By: Jackie Re: board software updated - 03/24/09 02:33 AM
That sounds like a neat event, Branny!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: board software updated - 03/24/09 07:10 PM
Spreuk 35 was my favorite, after having clicked on them all.
(Hey it was better than searching dead threads on the site.)
Very beautiful works, and some are works of art. Thank you
for sharing them.

We had three tornadoes set down in the immediate neighborhood
last night. Very scary night.
Posted By: BranShea Re: board software updated - 03/24/09 10:04 PM
You past the tornado time going through 150 spreuken? Wow!
I gave up round 100. But when it's dark how does one know there are tornado's when you can't see them.
Posted By: Jackie Re: board software updated - 03/25/09 02:46 AM
You hear the wind!
Posted By: BranShea Re: board software updated - 03/25/09 04:07 PM
Saw one once your side of the ocean and from a safe distance, but I never heard the sound of it. That's why I asked. We only have miniature ones (seldom) in the river district. They never touch ground.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: board software updated - 03/25/09 10:04 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
I gave up round 100. But when it's dark how does one know there are tornado's when you can't see them.

Yes - you hear the wind! It sounds like a freight train passing overhead. Frightening. The sound was
terrible on Monday. At night these days we have radar. The meteorologist have a picnic, each tv station
trying to outdo the next. They trace it down to the point where they tell which neighborhood and
people living on what streets when to hit the shelters. I was in my basement, when it passedover.
Of course the radar is only effective as it comes, the tornado does not respect the radar, and can
change immediately.
The worst we had here was in 1975 (tho' the 1913 one killed over 150)killing 4, one was a dummy standing
on his roof watching it. The tornado swept thru ripping off one side of a hospital, roof off a high
school, leveled three elementary schools. Cars found miles away. Screen from a drive-in movie never
found, undoubtedly shredded. Etc. Very frightening
Posted By: PastorVon Re: board software updated - 03/25/09 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
Originally Posted By: BranShea

Yes - you hear the wind! It sounds like a freight train passing overhead. Frightening. The sound was
terrible on Monday. At night these days we have radar. The meteorologist have a picnic, each tv station
trying to outdo the next. They trace it down to the point where they tell which neighborhood and
people living on what streets when to hit the shelters. I was in my basement, when it passedover.
Of course the radar is only effective as it comes, the tornado does not respect the radar, and can
change immediately.
The worst we had here was in 1975 (tho' the 1913 one killed over 150)killing 4, one was a dummy standing
on his roof watching it. The tornado swept thru ripping off one side of a hospital, roof off a high
school, leveled three elementary schools. Cars found miles away. Screen from a drive-in movie never
found, undoubtedly shredded. Etc. Very frightening

Sounds like Southern Illinois almost. Murphysboro has had some fairly powerful ones over the years. The Illinois State Archives/Museum in Springfield still has a display of artifacts from one in the 19teens (13 or 15, I cannot remember which). There was one that hit Marion about 10 years ago that picked up a tractor-trailer parked at a truckstop at Ill.Hiway 13 & I-57, carried it about 3/4 mi. & set it down intact on the roof of a bank building on the opposite side of the Interstate. In Dec 1957, after usual season, 10 funnel clouds were seen touching down in and around Chester causing minimal damage. In June 1946, two tornadoes struck the bridge across the Mississippi River at Chester simultaneously, picked up half the span and set it down in the river about 50 yards down-stream. The bridge had been completed only a little over a year. One of those storms took the back porch off of our house, while I lay sleeping only a stairwell away. I never heard a thing. I was 9 years old. Back then there were no early warning systems.
Posted By: Avyy Re: board software updated - 03/27/09 03:48 AM
Thanks for telling me how, Latishya.
Since Etoain stole my sentence i will try another one:
ना सिताइश की तम्मन्ना ना सिले की परवाह
गर नही है मेरे अश्यार में माने न सही
गालिब
(poor) Translation:
With no desire for laurels, or a care for results ;
If my lines are meaningless, that is all right by me.
Ghalib
Posted By: Avyy Re: board software updated - 03/27/09 04:08 AM
यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ

It could be translated simply "testing Unicode" or "trying Unicode". I tested a theory about current spelling by googling for "आज्माँ" and only found this thread. the , "j" can be made into a "z" by adding a dot, or nukta, like this and that makes the word easier to find, especially in its infinitive form. The nukta is often omitted both in spelling and speaking but an acquaintance tells me that in rural backwaters of Uttar Pradesh a sort of hypercorrection, using ज़ "z" when it should be ज "j". I spend most of my time around Punjabis so I almost never say "z", always "j". I also know some people who refuse to pronounce ज़ as "z" because the sound is a Persian import via Urdu and is offensive to their nationalist sensitivities. They don't like the word "nukta" for the same reason because it isn't "shuddh" or "pure" Hindi. Silly people.

You are right Latishya. आज्माँ (to try) should have been written with a nukta under it. Now that i know the mistake I would have written it in the correct way if i knew how to get half a ज with a nukta under it in the transliterator.
Posted By: latishya Re: board software updated - 03/27/09 04:20 AM
I just tried using my preferred tool,Baraha IME from [url=www.baraha.com]www.baraha.com[/url] and I got the nukta in the conjunct. The software is free.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: board software updated - 03/27/09 04:39 AM
Baraha IME

A great program, free as you say, and easy to use.
Posted By: Avyy Re: board software updated - 03/27/09 11:49 AM
Yes. I know Baraha. We are old Bangalore friends. I had stopped using it for a while thinking maybe there are better online substitutes. Obviously not. I will go back to it.
© Wordsmith.org