Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sparteye transfusion? - 04/06/01 02:22 PM
Hey, ayleurs and not-ayleurs! Be on the alert for an influx of new blood.

Today's Tipworld Cool Web Site of the Day tip is to wordsmith's anagram server. "This site is a hoot for word fans," says Tipworld.

Posted By: wwh Re: transfusion? - 04/06/01 03:20 PM
"This site is a hoot for word fans," says Tipworld."
I wonder what meaning of "hoot" they had in mind?

Incidentally, I have wondered why the best part of the whole site is not featured more prominently. I found it only by accident, and I'll bet a lot of people miss it entirely. I wish I knew why so many people stay with us for such short times.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: transfusion? - 04/10/01 10:04 AM
These youngsters can't stand the pace, Bill

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: transfusion? - 04/10/01 09:54 PM
I wish I knew why so many people stay with us for such short times.

I think I can explain quite fully why some people say for such short times. I'm experiencing one reason right now. There are usually around 200 posts per day here, sometimes more, sometimes less. This can take over 2 hours sometimes if you factor in posting your own messages. Some things, like being on a high school track team, don't leave much time for intellectual discourse on the internet. Freeing up 1/12 of your day for this place can be hard to do. That's why so many people aren't here for very long.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: transfusion? - 04/11/01 10:52 AM
Indeed, JazzO. I sure hope this place is still around in 20 years when I retire!

Posted By: Father Steve Retirement - 05/17/01 12:18 AM
"Retirement? What an absurd idea! Why spend the best part of your life earning enough money so that you can enjoy a questionable liberty during the the least valuable part of it? Why work like a dog so you can pant for a moment or two before you die?"

~ Jerome Lawrence & Robert E. Lee, "The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail" (New York, Bantam, 1970, p. 57).

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: Retirement - 05/17/01 02:39 AM
Father Steve>>>>

"Retirement? What an absurd idea! Why spend the best part of your life earning enough money so that you can enjoy a questionable liberty during the the least valuable part of it? Why work like a dog so you can pant for a moment or two before you die?"

~ Jerome Lawrence & Robert E. Lee, "The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail" (New York, Bantam, 1970, p. 57).

My sentiments exactly. I understand why many of us just keeps on working and working. It is the easier thing to do.
When you retire, you become president of "your company", and many cannot handle that.

chronist
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Retirement - 05/17/01 08:12 AM

We agree entirely with the sentiments expressed in this quote. That's why we're doing what we're doing. People can't understand how we can just up and off. So I've taken to telling everyone it's a mid-life crisis, and then they all say "Ahhh!" understandingly and congratulate us on our decision ...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Out of Retirement - 05/17/01 12:06 PM
Welcome back Father Steve.

Came out of retirement did you?

Posted By: wwh Re: Out of Retirement - 05/17/01 12:53 PM
All men are born equal (in the sight of the law) but there is no guarantee of maintaining that equality, particularly in matters of health. I quit because I could no longer feel fully competent. And now I can read something besides censored deleted unprinted bad word medical journals. And nobody can sue me for malpractice.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Out of Retirement - 05/17/01 12:57 PM
Father Steve,
I'm happy to see you back here.

Dr Bill,
I was just about to ask where in Hades you've been? Glad to see you back, as well. And your point is well taken: it's better to leave the party while it's still in full swing than to be one of the (ma-)lingerers.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Retirement - 05/17/01 01:28 PM
Good to see you again, FS

My posting in W&F on the poetry thread sums up how much I agree with you on this one!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Retirement - 05/17/01 01:47 PM
*feverishly searching for W&F*

Posted By: wow Re: Time factor - 05/17/01 02:22 PM
There are usually around 200 posts per day here, sometimes more, sometimes less. This can take over 2 hours sometimes if you factor in posting your own messages.

Jazz-O hit the nail on the head. I love this place but it does take time to keep up. For me it's like a part time job that I enjoy! There must be a better choice : A volunteer job? A happy hobby? An avocation? A lifestyle choice? All of the above?

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Out of Retirement - 05/18/01 01:51 AM
All men are born equal (in the sight of the law)

Justice is blind.

Posted By: ladymoon Re: Time factor - 05/18/01 04:53 AM
Two hours is the time I find it takes for me, just to wade through the posts, I see I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel like the phrase, miss a little, miss a lot. If I miss a day I feel like the world has moved on without me.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Time factor - 05/18/01 09:14 AM
I know how you feel, Lunar Lady: when I first joined the board, I was at the end of a contract and under the impression that it was not to be renewed. I had plenty of time and little motivation to do more than the minimum expected of me at work, so spent many happy hours in this magical garden filled with lingua-perfumery.

The contract was renewed, and my workload increased; my motivation also returned. But it means that I have only odd moments in which to indulge in my secret vice.
I have had to temporise.
If four or five days have passed since last I was able to visit, then I tend to look in my own record of postings, and look up what responses I have had to my loquacious drivellings, see whether it is necessary to be rude to Max Q, cap one of Mav's or TEd's dreadful puns, or to be sweet to Jackie. Well-wishers occasionally apprise me of posts that I ought to view, vis the PM system.

That done, if there is time, I look at the latest posts with the least replies, to see if I can get my spoke in before someone else pinches my best lines.

I rarely get to look at any thread that has started and attracted more than about fifteen replies since last I visited the board. This is my loss, without doubt, but it seems to be a way in which I can at least keep in touch with all of you, whom I have come to hold in such high regard.

Posted By: rodward Re: Time factor - 05/18/01 10:26 AM
I also used to spend a lot of time searching for new posts live on the web and missing lots, especially if I had been away for a few days. I find that subscribing to the daily summary really helps, and also requesting that I receive copies of responses to my posts. Now I can scan the mail summaries for anything interesting, and file anything I want to keep. I then research any responses I want to make, and only then make the web connection. I am lucky because I have a fast and cheap connection (thanks boss) which means I can then refresh the main index every couple of hours and take a quick peek. I am time shifted from most of the board, (though I do worry about how much sleep some of you are getting) which has pros and cons.

Rod

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: Out of Retirement - 05/18/01 11:53 AM
inselpeter>>>

Justice is blind.

inselpeter
I designate this as my big laugh for the day! Thanks.

chronist
Posted By: maverick Re: Time factor - 05/18/01 02:15 PM
time shifted from most of the board... which has pros and cons

Shouldn't that be Prose and Cons?

Posted By: musick Re: Out of Retirement - 05/18/01 05:03 PM

Justice is blind.

IP....ahhhhh, the cynic in you finally surfaces...

© Wordsmith.org