Wordsmith.org
Please take this simple test, carbonphobes, and remember; you too are carbon.

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/GlobWarmTest/start.html

Have a happy day!

Interesting site! And a pleasant idea to veer with the voque and simlpy enjoy the exceptional, summerhot , rainless month of april we are having. Good! A swim and a sunbath without guilt .

One little edited question:
[Earth's climate and atmosphere have varied greatly over geologic time. Our planet has mostly been much hotter and more humid than we know it to be today, and with far more carbon dioxide (the greenhouse gas) in the atmosphere than exists today. The notable exception is 300,000,000 years ago during the late Carboniferous Period, which resembles our own climate and atmosphere like no other.]

I have no notion of all those millions af years , but in the period written about her above, were there humans around or only life forms that could wel support this heat and humidity? Time scale Triassic gives:Dinosaurs,mammals,birds. Mammals being also humans?

BTW, the seawater is icy cold, worth no more than just a dip of the toe.

I'd sure like to know how they got a 500 year cycle out of the chart on question 8. Unless by cycle they mean half cycle.
Originally Posted By: Faldage
I'd sure like to know how they got a 500 year cycle out of the chart on question 8. Unless by cycle they mean half cycle.

And you are most right, Faldage, to question a recurring 500 year cycle based on a single cycle of a 1000 year chart.

But you score a niggling point. The point is that for 500 years it was hot, then for 500 years it was cold, and now it is hot again.

And as for me I think that Earth's temperature fluctuates and that cold is worse than hot.
If they can't get simple arithmetic right why should we trust anything else they have to say?
On the other hand, Faldage, if someone has his arithmetic right, would that be a reason to trust what he has to say?
Originally Posted By: BranShea
On the other hand, Faldage, if someone has his arithmetic right, would that be a reason to trust what he has to say?

Yes, so right you really are, BranShea. The Norsemen in Greenland didn't trust the Inuits because they were smelly, illiterate, devil worshiping savages, and although the Norsemen might have been a little bit smelly too, they refused to learn the skills and methods of hunting seals and whales from the Inuits.

Then suddenly the Little Ice Age began and soon all the blue-eyed people died of starvation, and the Inuits, being illiterate, had no choice but to keep on hunting seals and whales as they watched their fat wives get fatter and fatter.

Of course that happened 500 years ago, maybe today we can afford to not trust people rather than listen and think about what they have to say.

You think?

I think. : Atanarjuat
Originally Posted By: BranShea

It does not follow logically from the proposition that if they have the arithmetic wrong you cannot trust what they have to say. That would be the fallacy of denying the antecedent.
That is wonderfully well and exact put to words of course!
Posted By: BranShea Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/03/07 07:14 AM
Even if Global Warming is not caused by us I find last week's news, that even before 2050 (2040) the Arctic ice may already have disappeared, rather disquieting. This news comes from the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Colorado. After they reanalyzed the matter.It was published in Geographical Research Letters last week.

NCfAR

Even if it is not our "fault" I cannot imagine our children and grandchildren to live in a world that in our collective memory has always been a globe with two ice caps

Posted By: themilum Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/05/07 12:30 AM
Henny Penny was a good granny until one day a blog fell from the Internet and hit her like a brick and rearranged her once good head.

"Help!" she cried,"The sky is falling, the icecaps are melting; quick, Ginny darling, go to your room and hide under the bed!"

"Gee Granny" said Ginny, "Nice trick. I've never seen a grandma run about like a chicken with its head cut off and yet still yell silly stuff to little kids."

"Iszatso, miss precocious...I mean, miss precious, my least best progeny; well sister, get a load of this... NCfAR"

"Aw, grandma, that ain't science. Wait! I'll dab some white paint on the North Pole and...fixed."

"Listen, Serpents Egg; it's time to listen to the learned of this generation. You are but six years and they are professors, and whatever they profess you are going to believe, and what they believe (at this time) is that the Northern Ice Cap will be gone by the time you are fifty if you don't change your evil and wasteful ways...get it?"

"I don't give a filbert, Grandmother. I plan to live on Mars where terra forming is big. Imagine, a whole planet built to please far traveling mankind"

"OK, that's it! March yourself upstairs and go sit in a corner and stare at your navel. You'll not be fed until you openly confess your guilt in polluting this planet. Then, after you have learned to think like others around you, you will once again be allowed to join the good people in preventing the bad men amongst us from reaching the stars and poisoning the good planet Earth"

The End.

Posted By: tsuwm Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/05/07 02:53 AM
in more recent news, it's even sooner than that!
Posted By: BranShea Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/05/07 01:20 PM
The End (continued)

Ginny did as she was told , went upstairs and stared . Her navel told that after all she knew better than her old ignorant granny Henny Penny.
She grew up trusting the sympathetic cock-a-doodle-doos who held conferences and published nice reassuring reports that made Ginny Pinny feel safe and secure.They told the world :"Keep driving folks! Keep driving..."

Twenty years later she had two six year old of her own, a twin boy and girl. One day she suddenly told them:
"Go pack your things and be ready within the hour."---"What for?" they asked.
"We're moving to Mars, it's chicken run time ", their mother replied. ---"Why?"
"THEY made some small miscalculations. BIG CHICKEN CHOKING is coming up sooner than expected."
"What's BIG CHOKING?" ---"All living things dying."
"Who are THEY?" the kids asked.
"Them who know everything better", Ginny answered.

"Will the kids next door come too?"
"No ", their mother said ,"They didn't fulfill their carbon duties to keep Economy healthy for years.They are not among the chosen ones.
"And daddy?". " Never you mind, he's busy getting the cars on the flight, He'll get there."

"What's Mars like" the little boy asked.
"Red, what I know of and dusty", said mom.
"Can we bring out swimming stuff?"
"Sure.... do! We don't yet know if there will be any water, but never you mind now, hurry!and trust me.
THEY 'll know what to do"

Posted By: themilum Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/05/07 04:07 PM
My, you are the clever one, BranShea. You tit for my tat quite well. How about a friendly bet? I'll bet you two thousand euros (payable in American dollars) that on the fourth of July, in the year Two-thousand-forty-seven (European notation) the North Pole will be covered by more ice and snow than it is now. Deal?

But be warned. My brains have Extra Polar Perception.

Posted By: BranShea Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/06/07 11:29 AM
Presentimental premonition tells me that in the year 2047 two thousand euros (payable in American dollars)will have approx.the value of a jar of peanut butter. You can't mean I'll have to take the tatting trouble to become over a hundred years old for the possible chance of winning a jar of peanut butter?
Posted By: Faldage Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/06/07 12:08 PM
You could always take the bet, but demand payment in euros or Chinese yuan.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/06/07 12:41 PM
but demand payment in euros or Chinese yuan

Best to ask for a barrel (159 L) of oil. By 2047, it'll be priceless. Alternately, you could ask for a hour's worth of AC. Hard to say which will be costlier.
Posted By: themilum Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/06/07 01:30 PM
Before waking his morning I had a vision.

On the porch of a dingy house I saw Faldage, zmjezhd, and BranShea, sitting in heavy, hand-hewn, wooden chairs contemplating their navels. My young friends and I laughed and we drove by in our own upholstered flying chairs that had no wheels and no engine and needed no fuel.

"The sky is falling, get a horse!" We shouted.

But being a kindly sort, I couldn't help but feel a tinge of sadness for my old, old, old, friends who somewhere along the way had forgotten that life is dynamic and swell.

Posted By: BranShea Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/06/07 02:12 PM
A dream, Them i l o ,those are called dreams before you wake up.
And your young friends were laughing , because they knew well enough that when the sky falls it falls on flying as well as on grounded things alike.
The sky will never fall. That's a song and songs don't lie.

I don't bet for money in whatever valuta nor for oil or AC. What would a bike addict do with a barrel of oil? And what use is a AC when you are out riding a bike? Thanks for the advise anyway but no...
No, a jar of peanut butter , well adressed and properly mailed would be fine.
Posted By: themilum Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/06/07 03:49 PM
Hmm. Do I understand that you are willing to settle for peanuts?
Hmm. Peanuts are something that we got a lot of in Alabama...so Ok.

I've got a Winn-Dixie coupon for a jar of Bama Peanut Butter with the caveat that you must buy one to get one free. I'll mail you the coupon and you redeem it at your Winn-Dixie store and keep one jar for yourself and then mail me the other.

Fair enough?

Posted By: BranShea Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/06/07 04:37 PM
On those conditions? No deal,no bet,no peanuts.

Some hand hewn wooden chairs and some linguistic conversations will be fine. And don't forget : The sky will never fall.

Posted By: Curuinor Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/07/07 03:52 AM
How would the post people get the jar of peanut butter to thee, lacking any conveyance besides row-boats to get thy container of mashed peanuts mixed with oil across the swollen Atlantic?
Posted By: BranShea Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/07/07 06:40 AM
Because, Curuinor, post people are about the bravest people in the world. They may err, but not often.
By that time, they wil have pliable wings structured of ultra light fabric on a frame of ultra light metal and fly on manpower only.
As has been written by the clairvoyant writer G.R.R. Martin in his little book "Windhaven".

Windhaven

Of course it would take long for the peanut butter to get there,
but when we will be 104 we will not mind a day more or less.

I would be willing to reconsider the bet on this condition. One pot of peanut butter, payed for by the sender and delivered on wings.
Whoever wins the bet hires a wind postman.
Posted By: themilum Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/07/07 07:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Curuinor
How would the post people get the jar of peanut butter to thee, lacking any conveyance besides row-boats to get thy container of mashed peanuts mixed with oil across the swollen Atlantic?

You miss the boat, Curuinor. If, and it's a big if, as some alarmist climatologists whine, sea levels are swollen by a foot and a half at the end of the 21st Century, the crafty Dutch stand to make billions by building little bitty 18 inch high dikes around New York, San Francisco, and other decadent cities where people have more phobias than brains.

And bye the bye, what's up with you calling Alabama raised peanut butter "mashed peanuts mixed with oil"? My grandfather Grider raised a brood of six kids and a slew of semi-feral hogs on parched peanuts and peanut butter; and a happier lot you've never seen.
Posted By: BranShea Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/07/07 08:05 AM
Well, now that Themilum has brought in his secret weapon, Grandpa Grider , whom I cannot but respect, I'll drop this argument and declare Themilum the happy winner of one container of peanut butter , made from Alabama peanuts by Dutch peanut butter manufactorers of a quality sturdy enough to build little dikes around New York with, in the year 2047.
Posted By: themilum Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/07/07 03:17 PM
You, BranShea, are an admirable loser; a rare bird in today's world where many childish adults throw temper tantrums when someone proves their silly dogmas flawed. I have two things for you...

(1) Note the doomsday slant by agenda driven Reuters to this additional evidence of natural global warming

(2) The last weekend of May I will place a jar of peanut butter on top of a remote green hill in Tennessee along with this note...

[ This jar of peanut butter belongs to BranShea who lives somewhere in Den Haag, Nederland. Please forward it post haste. ]

...along with this poem by Wallace Stevens...

Anecdote of the Jar

I placed a jar in Tennessee,
And round it was, upon a hill.
It made the slovenly wilderness
Surround that hill.

The wilderness rose up to it,
And sprawled around, no longer wild.
The jar was round upon the ground
And tall and of a port in air.

It took dominion every where.
The jar was gray and bare.
It did not give of bird or bush,
Like nothing else in Tennessee.

Write me when you recieve the jar.

Posted By: BranShea Re:Arctic ice melting faster than expected - 05/08/07 07:55 PM
>>>(2) The last weekend of May I will place a jar of peanut butter on top of a remote green hill in Tennessee along with this note...>>>

Well,to conclude this silly stuff, IF you would really do this and make from it a large photograph or a video lastings for twenty minutes ,without anything else visible but the jar and the remote hill, and nothing else happening, you may call it : ART TODAY and find yourself a posh Gallery.
© Wordsmith.org