Wordsmith.org
Posted By: themilum tsuwm's worthless word for today - 03/29/06 05:47 PM
the worthless word for the day is: algorism

Quote:

[ad. mL. > Arab. al-Khuwarizmi (Arab mathematician)]
the Arabic, or decimal system of numeration;
hence, arithmetic

(to be confused with, ultimately the source of, algorithm)

"Al-Kuwarizmi's Algebra is a collection of rules for the
solution of linear and quadratic equations, elementary
geometric propositions and more mundane inheritance
problems involving the distribution of money. The word
"algorism" is derived from Al-Kuwarizmi's name."
- A. T. Haft et al., The Key to the Name of the Rose

"..a denial that at best is swamped by the uselessness
of the effort, the ninny teaching algorisms in some hazy
university to grubby grinds or colonels' daughters."
- Julio Cortazar, Hopscotch

My dear tsuwn, you must stay out of the attic reading all those tomes of definitions past. Your word of today is yet alive and has great currency in certain quarters, as defined...

algorism: the delusional idea that one has done something fantastic. As in..."I invented the internet". -Al Gore

Not to be confused with the term "alegorecal" which means "making up fantistic stories about which four-legged animal won the last presidental election".

Good words.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 03/29/06 06:34 PM
Geez, Milo. You think Ron Obvious didn't consider that? (you're getting to be a pain in the a$$ again, btw)
Posted By: themilum Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 03/29/06 06:46 PM
Quote:

Geez, Milo. You think Ron Obvious didn't consider that? (you're getting to be a pain in the a$$ again, btw)

Hmm. Direct insults are not allowed on this board (I thought).
Hmm. Maybe they are if they are from you. Hmm.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 03/29/06 08:15 PM
>Geez, Milo. You think Ron Obvious didn't consider that?

and, predictably, I received some email; e.g.
What? no "Al Gore-ism" jokes? I'm disappointed.

maybe I should invite that young lady to come here and be appointed.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 03/29/06 08:26 PM
So is that a hobson-jobson?
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 03/30/06 12:17 AM
Not to be confused with the term "alegorecal" which means "making up fantistic stories about which four-legged animal won the last presidental election".

Uh, that was two "elections" ago.

(just to keep the history straight...I'm a member of the local Civil War Roundtable, we're all sticklers for historical accuracy, you know...)
Posted By: themilum Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 03/30/06 12:36 AM
Quote:

(just to keep the history straight...I'm a member of the local Civil War Roundtable, we're all sticklers for historical accuracy, you know...)

So right you really are, you good looking correcting devil.
It was indeed that the last TWO presidental elections were won by our most beloved President Bush.

What a guy.
Posted By: mechanesthesia Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/09/06 11:32 AM
lol.
He was just trying to make a joke...
Posted By: Faldage Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/09/06 12:53 PM
Quote:

Quote:

It was indeed that the last TWO presidental elections were won by our most beloved President Bush.

What a guy.

There's a most beloved president Bush?
Posted By: AriFeanor Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/09/06 01:44 PM
We should nomiate the president for the Star of the "Burning Bush" party.
Posted By: consuelo Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/09/06 02:28 PM
As a reminder to those that have been here awhile and a guide for those new to this board:

We have determined it is to the benefit of the board that political and religious topics not be discussed here. Occasionally, something political or religious will spark a word-related discussion. In that case, please remember that personal philosophies on these matters are apt to cause more trouble than they are worth.

Welcome to all the nu-bees.
Posted By: mechanesthesia Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/09/06 10:36 PM
I hate politics and religion debates, they always divide people, even if they're good friends.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/10/06 12:00 AM
Quote:

I hate politics and religion debates, they always divide people, even if they're good friends.

We KNEW we liked you. Or at least I do!
Posted By: AriFeanor Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/10/06 04:36 AM
I guess I am the nubin of which he speaks of, sorry. Just thought I'd make a lame joke, you know the Burning Bush, and literaly burning Bush. I thought was funny, and lets not forget the other kind of bush that has a burning sensation.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/10/06 04:44 PM
Such coarse language is likely to make the gutter police crabby.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/10/06 05:50 PM
oh, nether mind...
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/10/06 06:42 PM
Quote:

Such coarse language is likely to make the gutter police crabby.

Scratch that, Alex!
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/10/06 07:03 PM
Sorry to pick at nits but all the digressions are really lousing up this discussion.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/10/06 07:34 PM
Watch it there, buboe, or you're gonna really make me upset!

edited typo
Posted By: tsuwm Re: where have all the - 04/10/06 09:22 PM
>all the digressions are really lousing up this discussion.

which discussion would that be, Alex?!
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/10/06 09:27 PM
TEd why must you plague me so with your punning?
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/10/06 10:50 PM
Quote:

TEd why must you plague me so with your punning?

Getting a bit tse-tse there, m'friend? Bill told me you were one of those who knew-monic-a's a plague before she was an intern. That woulda been after you were, I suspect. Oh, dengue. Was that the Fifth Disease we mentioned or not? Or would that be a horse of a different cholera?

PS for anyone who is struggling here, there is a communicable disease called Fifth Disease. It's a human parvovirus and is called that because it's fifth in frequency of rash-producing childhood diseases.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/10/06 11:06 PM
Quote:

PS for anyone who is struggling here, there is a communicable disease called Fifth Disease. It's a human parvovirus and is called that because it's fifth in frequency of rash-producing childhood diseases.

...and it's certainly nothing to scrofula at.
Posted By: Faldage Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/11/06 11:20 AM
Someone want to wake me up when this pun storm is over?
> storm is over?

It suggests a coinage...

punis enlargement - an overblown dose of polysemy that, to some observers, merely sucks. ;]
Posted By: Alex Williams I liked that last number. - 04/11/06 02:02 PM
Statler and Waldorf have spoken.
Posted By: Bingley Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/13/06 04:36 AM
Quote:

Quote:

What a guy.

There's a most beloved president Bush?

Surely for the prescriptivists amongst us, that should be more beloved President Bush, since there have only been two President Bushes so far.
Posted By: Faldage Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/13/06 08:43 AM
Quote:

Surely for the prescriptivists amongst us, that should be more beloved President Bush …

Whereas the descriptivist will note that sometimes the superlative is used merely to denote a greater degree than is implied by the comparative. E.g., that was a most interesting comment, Bingley.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/13/06 10:46 AM
Whether or not our current President Bush could even follow this discussion is a most interesting idea, but then again I don't wish to discuss politics in the least.
Posted By: maverick Re: tsuwm's worthless word for today - 04/13/06 11:55 AM
> I don't wish to discuss politics in the least.

So bring on the most exhaustive detail...
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: goin' nucular - 04/13/06 01:14 PM
Whether or not our current President Bush could even follow this discussion is a most interesting idea, but then again I don't wish to discuss politics in the least.

The more current Bush's intelligence, or lack thereof, is not really a political matter but a mental one. Then again, any issue can be made politic.
© Wordsmith.org