Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm news splash - 08/09/05 08:04 PM
By ALICIA CHANG
Associated Press Writer

EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AP)

Discovery swooped through the predawn darkness and landed at Edwards Air Force Base in the Mojave Desert at 5:11 a.m. PDT, concluding the conclusion of the first shuttle re-entry since Columbia's tragic return.

Posted By: Jackie Re: news splash - 08/10/05 01:47 AM
Ouch; I can forgive, to a certain extent, newspeople saying things like that in excitement, but there's no excuse for leaving a story written like that.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: news splash - 08/10/05 12:01 PM
Where's the unsung copy editor when you need them [sic]?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: news splash - 08/10/05 04:27 PM
Where's the unsung copy editor when you need them [sic]?

Uh, editing the editing?

Posted By: Sparteye Re: news splash - 08/10/05 04:47 PM
I don't think that there are copy editors any more. It seems -- and I'll have to check with my sister-in-law the editor in chief -- that the position has been reduced or eliminated and that many reports are now put into print directly from computer-checked reporters' text.

Posted By: Jackie Re: news splash - 08/10/05 05:49 PM
many reports are now put into print directly from computer-checked reporters' text. I think our paper must do that; I see things like 'They were write'. SIGH...

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: news splash - 08/10/05 09:18 PM
The Sault Star is a fine example of a paper operating without a copy editor - if "fine" is the correct word for such a mishmash of mis-spelled, mis-punctuated text.

Posted By: Zed Re: news splash - 08/11/05 10:46 PM
Now, now, political correctness please. It isn't wrong it is merely creative. Or gramatically challenged.

Posted By: Faldage Re: news splash - 08/11/05 11:31 PM
Attually®, "concluding the conclusion" isn't grammatically incorrect; it isn't even semantically incorrect. It's just poor style.

Edit: Sheesh! A guy can't make a little typo.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: news splash - 08/12/05 12:48 AM
>"conluding[sic] the conclusion" isn't grammatically incorrect

then how about "deluding the delusion"?

Posted By: Jackie Re: news splash - 08/12/05 01:01 AM
Ahbut--delusions are not animate.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: news splash - 08/12/05 02:17 AM
>>are not animate

Are they not qame?

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: news splash - 08/14/05 03:25 AM
Discovery swooped through the predawn darkness and landed at Edwards Air Force Base in the Mojave Desert at 5:11 a.m. PDT, concluding the conclusion of the first shuttle re-entry since Columbia's tragic return.

I wonder if they were listening to "Begin the Beguine" when they wrote that.

© Wordsmith.org