Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Zed Unsurprises - 08/09/05 06:55 PM
I do enjoy seeing headlines or titles that are just too obvious to be put into print but are anyway.
"Bible Translators Find Sensuality in Bible's Song of Songs"
(Really, what a surprise - how hard do you think they had to look?)
A medical journal headline read "Doctors find new links between mind and body!" (how new could they be, for that matter I didn't think it was safe to separate mind and body.)

Anyone else notice others?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Unsurprises - 08/10/05 01:50 AM
"Prices at pump soar as oil hits new high".

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Unsurprises - 08/10/05 12:03 PM
"Gas prices soar on supply/demand fears: analysts"

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Unsurprises - 08/10/05 01:07 PM
This isn't a headline, but it's become a byword in our household. Some years ago I received in the mail, unsolicited, a package of animal fact cards, complete with stupendous offer to buy more, plus a binder for them. I passed on the offer, but read the cards. The one for the polar bear read, in part: "The polar bear's sense of smell is so sensitive that it can smell a dead whale twenty miles away." To which our rejoinder, between gusts of laughter, was "WHO COULDN'T?"

Posted By: belligerentyouth Stay upwind! - 08/10/05 02:06 PM
> "The polar bear's sense of smell is so sensitive that it can smell a dead whale twenty miles away." To which our rejoinder, between gusts of laughter, was "WHO COULDN'T?"

I have smelt a 50-ton whale rotting on a Perth beach before and it certainly was potent from several hundred metres away ... I don't know if a human could smell it at 20 miles, but it doesn't surprise me that plenty of animals can!
Informative headline:

'Testimony to play crucial role in trial'

Posted By: musick Re: Unsurprises - 08/10/05 07:46 PM
Cross threading from the story linked in Father Steve's "Potty Mouth Arrives in OED"

"To suit the pace of our lifestyle today there is a growing tendency to mix words together to make entirely new ones called blends," the dictionary researchers said. (Emphasis mine)

Posted By: Faldage Re: Stay upwind! - 08/10/05 09:35 PM
I have smelt a 50-ton whale rotting on a Perth beach before and it certainly was potent from several hundred metres away

How hard was the freeze that day?

© Wordsmith.org