Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Saranita Coinage & Dollarage - 08/05/05 02:47 PM
A friend recently returned from her beach vacation in North Carolina with the following story. Their family was in a long line of vehicles waiting to pay the clearly posted $5 parking fee at an event. The man in the large van ahead of them decided $5 was too much to pay and proceeded to turn his vehicle and depart. Because it was such a small space and there was such a tight line of cars, the turning of the van created quite an ordeal for the other drivers trying to get out of the man's way. When my friend finally had clearing to pull up to the booth, the fee taker was shaking her head and muttering, "Touron." Lynette repeated, "'Touron'?" to which the lady replied with disdain, "'Tourist,' 'moron,' 'touron.'"

Posted By: Jackie Re: Coinage & Dollarage - 08/05/05 03:52 PM
"Touron"--I love it! I know there are other "specialty words" that have been created; unfortunately I can't think of any... [help mee-ee-ee]

Heh--love your double double-entendre subject, too!

Posted By: Zed Re: slight tangent. for canucks - 08/05/05 07:11 PM
I know it is a tangent but "coinage and dollarage" (Nice one Saranita)reminded me.
A tourist used to 1p,5p and 10p coins was paying $10.47 and trying to read the coins for correct change. The clerk tried to help by asking for "a quarter, a dime, a nickle and two pennies." This only confused him further until someone else said, "A moose, a beaver, a sailboat and two brown ones."
(for non-Canucks those are the designs on the back of our coins)

Posted By: Churl Pat Re: slight tangent. for canucks - 08/05/05 07:33 PM
Comes up a bit short, though.

Posted By: Faldage Re: slight tangent. for canucks - 08/05/05 09:48 PM
a bit short, though

2/5ths of a bit, attualŪ.

Posted By: Churl Pat Re: slight tangent. for canucks - 08/05/05 10:02 PM
Are you certain of that, Faldage?

We don't use bits, but I believe a bit is an eighth of a dollar, or 12.5 cents. Ten cents would be four-fifths of a bit.

Edit:

Oh, never mind. It was five cents out, not ten, wasn't it? I didn't go back and look at the original post. Please accept my apology.

Curly
Posted By: Zed Re: slight tangent. for canucks - 08/05/05 11:04 PM
Sorry, after the morning I had accurate math was apparently beyond me. The clearest part of the memory was the description of the coins. It should have been 42 cents, obviously.
How annoying. I have a new, smaller keyboard and whenever I aim for backspace I hit the = and have to go back and sweep up all the mistakes after I read over the post. And today is worse than usual.

CARPET
=
g=g
bs=dk-=s==dn
n=d==dm==k
===

Posted By: Faldage Re: slight tangent. for canucks - 08/05/05 11:49 PM
Please accept my apology.

Hey! Just keep posting here. That'll be apology enough. We need all the intelligent posts we can get.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: 42 (cents) - 08/06/05 11:29 AM
... which, of course, is the answer to life, the universe, and, well... everything.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: slight tangent. for canucks - 08/07/05 06:25 PM
A tourist used to 1p,5p and 10p coins was paying $10.47 and trying to read the coins for correct change. The clerk tried to help by asking for "a quarter, a dime, a nickle and two pennies." This only confused him further until someone else said, "A moose, a beaver, a sailboat and two brown ones."

...and this is supposed to different from Galleons, Knuts, and Sickles?

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: slight tangent. for canucks - 08/08/05 02:28 PM
"A moose, a beaver, a sailboat and two brown ones."
(for non-Canucks those are the designs on the back of our coins)

Ackshully, that "moose" is a caribou. I am hoping that when the five-dollar coin is inflicted upon us it will have a moose on it. In fact, I will be seriously disappointed if it doesn't, as I am looking forward to coinage like "loonies, toonies and moosies".

From Canada, soon to be the land of the reinforced pocket...

Posted By: Zed Re: slight tangent. for canucks - 08/08/05 03:58 PM
I know but everyone thinks it's a moose. When the $2 coin with HM's likeness one one side and a polar bear on the reverse came out there was a lot of discussion about what to call it. Some wanted toonie, others dubloon and some comedians claimed it should be a moonie because the Queen has a bear behind.
PS where and what are galleons knuts and sickles?

Posted By: Sparteye Re: slight tangent. for canucks - 08/08/05 05:06 PM
Galleons, knuts and sickles are the coin of the wizarding realm in the Harry Potter series of books.

Posted By: consuelo Re: Coinage & Dollarage - 08/23/05 04:36 PM
On the little isle in the Caribbean where I live, we refer to the "visitors" as the pink people.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Coinage & Dollarage - 08/23/05 05:00 PM
loonies, toonies and moosies".

Oh, I'd love the five-dollar coin to be a moose, too.

From Canada, soon to be the land of the reinforced pocket...

Ya, tell me about it. Isn't there a light-weight metal they can use. Maybe they use heavy metals to give people the impression that the coin is really worth it, but dang, you can't carry your purse around without getting a indentation in your shoulder from all the weight.

And you can't do like I used to do with loose change, and throw it in a pot. Because the denominations are higher, you run out of money really quickly if you throw your coins in there every night.

Posted By: Zed Re: Coinage & Dollarage - 08/23/05 06:57 PM
you run out of money really quickly if throw your coins in there every night

true but by the end of the week you have enough to go out for dinner and dessert.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Coinage & Dollarage - 08/23/05 09:55 PM
From a friend in Maine: the pretty-much self-explanatory "Massholes"

© Wordsmith.org