Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Social groups, or ...? - 06/29/05 03:13 PM
A non-US'n asked me what sororities and fraternities are. I explained to the best of my somewhat limited knowledge. I'd be interested to see how the rest of you view them, as well as your own definitions, please.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Social groups, or ...? - 06/29/05 05:33 PM
I know very little about them; was never into the Greek life, as if it was . But here's a tidbit to further confuse things for your non-USn, Jackie: I recently learned from the daughter of a friend that many colleges nowadays have co-ed (is that word still current?) organizations: the one she belongs to is called a fraternity. Go figger.

Posted By: carpathian Re: Social groups, or ...? - 06/29/05 08:36 PM
the one she belongs to is called a fraternity

They should call it a fratority - especially if she's fraternizing with any of the brothers. :)

P.S. A Google search reveals that Theta Sigma thought of this at least 3 years before I did:

Extract from Theta Sigma website:

The term ?fratority,? combining fraternity and sorority, was adopted to demonstrate that ?some members have penises and others do not.?

http://snipurl.com/fxa4

Posted By: Faldage Re: Social groups, or ...? - 06/29/05 09:43 PM
I was in one of a couple of out-groups back in my first pass at college in the pre-60 60s. We called ourselves barbarians because we considered "independent" to be a negative term. There was a co-ed subset of the two groups that we called Alpha Wu (because we hung out at the local A&W root beer stand) and that we referred to as a furority.

Posted By: nancyk Re: Social groups, or ...? - 06/29/05 10:06 PM
colleges nowadays have co-ed (is that word still current?) organizations

It's been my impression that these coed groups are (or started out as) usually professional rather than primarily social organizations. For example, a business "fraternity" would have both male and female business majors. But now that I think about it, I'm not sure any of the coed professional groups call themselves "sororities." Hmm.

Posted By: Sparteye Co-ed frats - 06/30/05 12:21 AM
Co-ed frats aren't just "nowadays." I was one of a class of two first female members of the MSU chapter of AKPsi back in the day.

AKPsi is a "professional" frat in that it is for business majors, but it is (at least, our chapter was) very social, in that it had a residential house and the usual menu of parties, intermural teams and such.

It was, and is, called a frat because it started as a frat.

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: Social groups, or ...? - 06/30/05 01:31 AM
Maybe these co-educational "fraternities" could borrow the German geschwisterkeit.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Social groups, or ...? - 06/30/05 02:05 AM
> geschwisterkeit

what kind of wind do you need for that thing?

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: Social groups, or ...? - 06/30/05 02:09 AM
I like it because it means "siblinghood", but is clearly derived from the word for sister, not that for brother.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Social groups, or ...? - 06/30/05 05:29 AM
but is clearly derived from the word for sister, not that for brother - correct, from a purely etymological standpoint, but "Geschwister" was used for siblings of mixed gender way before the whole gender question arose. Nothing against equality, but I find "Geschwisterkeit" a linguistic monster.
Edit - now I know why: Google yields zero hits on Geschwisterkeit. The correct word is Geschwisterlichkeit (10400 German-language hits).
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Social groups, or ...? - 06/30/05 06:11 AM
>The correct word is Geschwisterlichkeit.

yes, and that's a much more attractive word, isn't it?!

-jimmy (the greek) sardonios

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: Es tut mir sehr leid - 06/30/05 07:19 AM
I made up geschwisterkeit. I ought to have known that humorous inventiveness is not something German is renowned for.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hail caesar - 06/30/05 11:09 AM
> geschwisterkeit

what's googlewhack in German? <smile>

but there's always humorous invectiveness... <smile again>

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: <smile> - 06/30/05 11:21 AM
Who's your emoticon?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: <smile> - 06/30/05 11:30 AM
I'm really not liking the smileys, so I thought I would make my own... I couldn't find a smiley of James Brown... <smirk>

Posted By: Sparteye Geschwisterlichkeit - 06/30/05 01:47 PM
Geschwisterlichkeit

That's not workable: any word describing a frat must be capable of being pronounced by at least half of the frat members at least half of the time.

On the other hand, it *would* make a good pledge test ...

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Geschwisterlichkeit - 07/05/05 12:48 PM
Geschwisterlichkeit

That's not workable: any word describing a frat must be capable of being pronounced by at least half of the frat members at least half of the time.

On the other hand, it *would* make a good pledge test ...

*snerk*

Posted By: Bingley Re: Social groups, or ...? - 07/05/05 02:08 PM
In reply to:

I know very little about them; was never into the Greek life, as if it was .

I did find this confusing a couple of weeks ago when wandering round the website of a US students' organisation and assumed the link was for those studying New Testament Greek.

No mention of Greek love either .

Bingley

Posted By: Rainmaker Re: Social groups, or ...? - 07/05/05 05:17 PM
Look for that around back.

Posted By: Zed Re: Social groups, or ...? - 07/05/05 06:38 PM
Way back when I was in university there were frat houses but no sorority houses due to a badly written law that made them fit within the definition of bordello. (don't know if they changed the law by now)

© Wordsmith.org