Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill conclave - 04/16/05 08:49 PM
from an article about the election of the Pope:

>"Conclave" refers to a locked section of the Vatican where the cardinals remain until they have elected a new pope. The word conclave derives from Latin -- cum + clavis -- and means "locked with key." <

I never knew that...about the origin of the word conclave, that is. (bold is mine)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: conclave - 04/17/05 09:19 PM
Yo, Juan. This was discussed during your absence, maybe about a month ago? Helen kindly splained it, but durned if it turned up in a search.

Posted By: Jackie Re: conclave - 04/17/05 09:39 PM
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=144815

(Oops--I put a link to the wrong post, first; this is the correct one, I believe.)
Posted By: inselpeter Re: conclave - 04/17/05 09:56 PM
<<locked with key>>

News today said they would be opening the conclave tomorrow. Guess the church is liberalizing. ;)

Posted By: Sparteye Re: conclave - 04/18/05 03:46 PM
They aren't merely opening the conclave; they're spreading it all over town.

The custom of sequestering the Cardinals to select the pope arose in Medieval times, when the citizenry, frustrated that the college of Cardinals had been unable to agree on a new pope after three years of political bargaining, locked the college in a room and allowed the members only bread and water until they arrived at a decision. They managed to select a new pope after three days in the new conditions, and locking the college away has been the way ever since.

However, the conditions of the conclave have relaxed since the initial austere enclosure, and this year they are putting up the Cardinals in rather luxurious hotel accommodations. It seems that having a bunch of old men locked together without access to showers just doesn't have the panache it used to ...

And speaking of the college of Cardinals -- I can't help but wonder if their basketball team is any good and whether their nickname is "the Stanfords."

Posted By: inselpeter Re: conclave - 04/18/05 05:04 PM
The custom of sequestering the Cardinals to select the pope arose in Medieval times, when the citizenry, frustrated that the college of Cardinals had been unable to agree on a new pope after three years of political bargaining, locked the college in a room and allowed the members only bread and water until they arrived at a decision.

And that answers a question I thought was too dumb to ask: are they locked in, or do they lock out?

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: conclave - 04/18/05 06:37 PM
http://snipurl.com/e3a1

They did a photoshop contest for "What really goes on during the conclave" over at www.fark.com. Some of the entries are pretty funny, but the easily offended (who should, perhaps, be offended more often) should be warned of irreverence in the extreme.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: conclave - 04/18/05 07:04 PM
*giggle*

"Duck, duck, pope" appeals to me.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: conclave - 04/19/05 03:57 PM
It appears that the conclave is over. Current news reports indicate that a pope has been selected, but that his identity has not yet been revealed. I am curious to learn the name he has chosen; here's a link to an article discussing papal names and meanings.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7540353/

I'm so hoping for "Ringo" ...

Posted By: Sparteye Whoops - 04/19/05 03:59 PM
In the time it took me to say that we didn't know who yet ...

The new pope is German Joseph Ratzinger, who has called himself Pope Benedict XVI.

Posted By: maverick Re: Poops - 04/19/05 04:04 PM
Is it true he expects to be greeted "Heil, papa"?

but no, that was long ago, wasn't it... ;)

Posted By: TEd Remington Post deleted - 04/19/05 04:07 PM
Post deleted. I got carried away for a minute and was talking about religion. My bad.
Posted By: Faldage Re: conclave - 04/20/05 12:21 AM
hoping for "Ringo"

So, Rizzo's not close enough?

Hey! I'm prayin' here!

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: conclave - 04/20/05 10:39 AM
well after not one but two Pope John Pauls you'd think it would be high time for a Pope George Ringo...

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith his reputation preceeds him..... - 04/21/05 01:50 AM
On CBC this afternoon I heard a reference to Benedict in his previous life as "God's Rottweiler".
So I guess he'll be strong on dogma.

Posted By: Faldage Re: his reputation preceeds him..... - 04/21/05 10:49 AM
strong on dogma

All you punster wannabes study this example. When you've learned your lesson you may resume your attempts.

Posted By: Jackie Re: his reputation preceeds him..... - 04/21/05 12:42 PM
[raising hand] I've learned, I've learned...that that was a good one!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: his reputation preceeds him..... - 04/27/05 01:44 AM
Bravo, Elizabeth! Perfect for the Puntiff!

Posted By: Jackie Re: his reputation preceeds him..... - 04/27/05 02:10 AM
It isn't widely known, but the man elected Pope was actually the second choice. The first choice was Cardinal Katzenberger. He had been an ace fighter pilot in WWII; no mission was too dangerous for him. They sent him out again and again--until the crash that cost him an arm; then he was retired with full pension. He, however, was determined to keep flying if he could, so he found work as a bush pilot in South Africa...until an unplanned treetop "landing" cost him an eye. Then he found work in one of the silver mines prior to getting the call and becoming a Cardinal; the only misfortune that came from this job was that one of the chemicals caused him to develop purpura: a condition that leaves purplish patches on the skin. This was why he wasn't elected Pope: they didn't think the people would accept a one-eyed, one-armed flying purple papal leader.

Posted By: dxb Re: his reputation preceeds him..... - 04/27/05 11:22 AM
Mmm.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: his reputation preceeds him..... - 04/29/05 02:06 AM
Jackie, you've *definitely been hanging around TEd too much!

Posted By: Jackie Re: his reputation preceeds him..... - 04/29/05 01:28 PM
Nah, I got that from a friend here in town. I didn't tell it nearly as well as he did, either; though I noticed his version changed the second time I heard him tell it, too (mine was rather different from his; same punch line though).
I'm not good at remembering even regular-length jokes to retell, let alone near-shaggy-dog ones...hey! I wonder if it's time again...have y'all started any lately? I haven't been to W & F in ages.

© Wordsmith.org