Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jmh The excuses that "addicts" make - 02/16/01 10:34 PM
Not tonight dear.... I have a modem.
© 2000 Bruce H.G. Calder http://www.calder.net/

I spotted this earlier as I "popped dowstairs to make sure the computer was turned off" or was is when "I had some work to finish off"

What excuses do you make to others (or even yourself) when you check your mail/look at this site when those around you might wish you were doing something different?

Posted By: Jackie Re: The excuses that "addicts" make - 02/16/01 11:02 PM
I just say I want to check my e-mail, and elbow the kids
aside. If one of them is doing schoolwork, I hang around the door, heaving lusty sighs of impatience! My husband's
only chance is when I'm away from the house...

Posted By: wow Re: The excuses that "addicts" make - 02/17/01 01:01 AM
The tricky thing about true addicts' excuses is that they should sound really reasoned at first hearing rather than just a run of the mill excuse!
That said : Checking the Board and the Email keeps me away from the kitchen and on my diet!
How's that for sublimation, she asked, reaching for the cookies and milk she brought with her.
wow

Posted By: wwh Re: The excuses that "addicts" make - 02/19/01 12:49 AM
I wish I still had that option.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: The excuses that "addicts" make - 02/19/01 09:13 AM
I use my computer exrensively for writing up course notes, filling in mark sheets and conducting Parish Council business, so I have a host of reasons to go to my study to use the machine.
- And while I'm there, I'll just check whether there's any e-mail from our son
- and whle I'm on line, I'll just check for any private messages on the board
- OH, well, as I'm here, I may as well see what's going on on the board.

Good lord, is that REALLY the time!

Posted By: Bean Re: The excuses that "addicts" make - 02/19/01 04:16 PM
Easy. It's kind of a reward for accomplishing "real" work. Not really an excuse, exactly, but I use it as justification.

I have 20 lab reports left to mark. I had 30 originally, and I have done ten of them (took me an hour to get started this morning, thanks to the Board!). It's time for a break. There will be another break after the next ten! One catogory per break. I did Questions about Words this morning, now I am in Miscellany, and later I will look at Wordplay and Fun.

Luckily I don't do this at home or my husband would never see me! Only my schoolwork gets this honour of having a rewards program with performance tied to Board visits!

Posted By: wow Re: The excuses that "addicts" make - 02/19/01 05:06 PM
Bean wrote : There will be another break after the next ten! One catogory per break.

What a clever ol' Bean you are! Much better idea than cookies and milk reward.
I have some editing to do. I shall adapt your solution and do chapter, break, chapter, break, etc. And look forward to the short chapters!
wow

Posted By: spelchkr Re: The excuses that "addicts" make - 02/20/01 01:15 PM
Still the stranger here, he said, lighting up another smoke (my personal ruse for avoiding all those fattening things in the kitchen). Still, this is infinitely better than the mindless hours some (un-named) personages spend shuffling the decks for the ubiquitous SOLITAIRE. 'twould seem that ENIAC (which probably had less computing power than my cell phone) could never have envisioned its evolution into this cerebrally numbing binary digit jungle drum.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: The excuses that "addicts" make - 02/20/01 04:14 PM
Oh, ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator - the first workable digital computer built in 1944-1946, filled two rooms, weighed sixteen tons, yadda, yadda)!

Your wrist watch could not only out-compute ENIAC, it could out-compute some 20 of them and have enough calculating power left over to persuade it to vote, say, Republican ...

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: The excuses that "addicts" make - 02/20/01 08:13 PM
Your wrist watch could not only out-compute ENIAC, it could out-compute some 20 of them

What scared me was when I read somewhere that the Apollo craft used for the lunar missions had less computing power on board than a Furby! Who of us would trust our lives to a computer smaller than that inside an incredibly irritating soft toy?

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: The excuses that "addicts" make - 02/22/01 01:32 AM
>I hang around the door, heaving lusty sighs of impatience! My husband's only chance is when I'm away from the house...

No, Ted, don't go there. That's a good fellow. Gonna do it anyway, are you?

Only chance to do what???

Darn, I tried to stop him, honest I did.

Ted's unevil twin Skippy

Posted By: TEd Remington ENIACs shouldn't vote! - 02/22/01 01:36 AM
>Your wrist watch could not only out-compute ENIAC, it could out-compute some 20 of them and have enough calculating power left over to persuade it to vote, say, Republican ...

Gosh it really WAS pretty dumb, wasn't it?

Posted By: musick Tech-no-logical - 02/25/01 06:58 PM
I was on the floor laughing at this one.

http://www.theonion.com/onion3308/realtimetv.html

I was doing my accounting on my Commodore64 until 1997 - makes me wonder why technology often races ahead for "no apparent" reason... kinda reminds me when electronic keyboards began developing the feel of a weighted piano key to go with the piano sound and the acoustical effects of concert hall, yet the machine that did that (even close) at the time cost $40,000 (they are not any better now but cost less).

KWTT (keeping with the thread) I don't have to make excuses to enjoy time reading here, I just take a day off of work to catch up

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Tech-no-logical - 02/25/01 07:12 PM
I was on the floor laughing at this one.

http://www.theonion.com/onion3308/realtimetv.html

That was funny, thanks. I wonder if you would mind if this lazy sod suggested making the link clickable by adding url and /url in [ ] on either side, thusly
http://www.theonion.com/onion3308/realtimetv.html That way, the terminally indolent among us don't have to leave AWAD or manually open another window and paste the link in.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: The excuses that "addicts" make - 02/26/01 01:37 AM
Excuses, we don need no dam excuses...

© Wordsmith.org