Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belMarduk How do you tell where you're from - 02/18/05 02:31 AM
The disucussion started by dgeigh in Q&A, and our subsequent posts on how we say where we're from made me wonder.

How do you state where you're from?

Me, for example, if I'm talking to somebody from outside of Canada, I'll say I'm from Montreal, Canada. When talking with a Canadian, I'll just say I'm from Montreal. I don't need to state my province, they'll know I'm from Quebec because Montreal is a big city.

Just like people from Moose Jaw don't have to say they're from Saskatchewan or people from Toronto say they're from Ontario.

BUT, somebody from Mont St Michel would have to add Quebec because it's a teeny town nobody but its 250 inhabitants know.

Now, I'd assume that people everywhere do it this way...but from being here at AWAD for many years, I've learned that assuming something like that can be totally wrong.

So, how do you say where you're from? To somebody in your country, and to somebody from out of your country?

Posted By: maverick Re: How do you tell where you're from - 02/18/05 11:15 AM
To someone from the UK:
…from Eglwsywrw, Pembrokeshire… yeah, Wales <g>

To someone from the Civilised World™:
…from a little village called Eglwsywrw, on the west coast of the UK

To someone from the USA:
…from Wales: well, yah go to Nu Yoik an make a right. It’s where the sun rises.

:)

Posted By: Faldage Re: How do you tell where you're from - 02/18/05 11:18 AM
To someone from the USA:
…from Wales: well, yah go to Nu Yoik an make a right. It’s where the sun rises.

The sun rises in the south?

Posted By: maverick Re: How do you tell where you're from - 02/18/05 11:22 AM
ya gotsa ta face North to be properly orientatatated ;)

Posted By: Faldage Re: How do you tell where you're from - 02/18/05 11:59 AM
You din't never say that. Or either that or this Nu Yoik you speak of is some little town in northern Quebec, one. Sounds like a First Nations name, but really more like one in southern Arizona, if you ask me. In which case the sun would be rising in the northwest.

> So, how do you say where you're from?

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. And orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet. That's my home :-)

Posted By: of troy Re: How do you tell where you're from - 02/18/05 12:16 PM
i have it easy, New York.. City... well i live in Queens.

and right now, almost smack dab between the airports.. South of LaG, and North of JFK.

amazingly enough, most people have heard of the place..

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: How do you tell where you're from - 02/18/05 02:04 PM
I say, "Vermont".

if I need to go beyond that I say, "in the United States".

> if I need to go beyond that I say, "in the United States".

Yeah, but where is Vermont? - North east coast, right?

Posted By: Jackie Re: How do you tell where you're from - 02/18/05 02:58 PM
I have it easy: I figure that somewhere around 99% of the civilized world have heard of Kentucky Fried Chicken, so I just say Kentucky to foreigners.
To folks within a radius of, say, 600 miles or so I say Louisville and they seem to know where I mean.
To non-___ender Louisvillians I say either that I live in the __ end of town, or that I live next to ___ park.
To ___enders here in town, I just say the name of my street.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Louisvillians - 02/18/05 03:05 PM
How many syllables, Jackie?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Louisvillians - 02/18/05 03:10 PM
Four! Loo-ih-VIL-yuns. The second one is really quick, but there. That's about the only time we give the old king his (semi-)correct pronunciation.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Louisvillians - 02/18/05 03:30 PM
Ms. J, how would a civilized (read Louisvillian) person say hook?

but I digress.

Posted By: maverick Re: sink her - 02/18/05 03:53 PM
See?! Ms J is entirely average in her sylabbification ~ OK, so sometimes there's one more or less than Outlanders might expect but!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Louisvillians - 02/18/05 05:07 PM
how would a civilized (read Louisvillian) person say hook? First--with the same vowel sound as in put*; just one sylABle: huk. We're not far enough south to say hu-uk. That reminds me: I want to find the Food Channel online today and find the Alabama lady's recipe for marinated salmon w/ pineapple salsa; I'd like to fix that tonight. I love to listen to her talk!
*Not as in roof, but as in roof.

Woops--make that the Food Network, and Maple-Glazed Salmon with Pineapple Salsa.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: How do you tell where you're from - 02/18/05 05:19 PM
>Yeah, but where is Vermont? - North east coast, right?

good point. amended to say, "the north east of the United States",

but not on the coast...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Louisvillians - 02/18/05 06:07 PM
huk.. not far enough south to say hu-uk.

thanks for that. I feared that maybe you followed this dialectal approach:
hy-uo-ook-kuh

Posted By: musick How do you tell where you're going - 02/18/05 06:14 PM
Yet, for some reason, everyone on the *planet knows where Chicago is...

Posted By: belMarduk Re: How do you tell where you're going - 02/18/05 07:44 PM
Bien, it's cause you're there, of course.

Posted By: Faldage Re: How do you tell where you're going - 02/18/05 11:26 PM
where Chicago is

For a long, long time the universal reaction to hearing one was from Chicago was to mime holding a tommy gun and saying, "Al Capone." Then it was to say, "Michael Jordan." What is it now?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: How do you tell where you're going - 02/19/05 12:11 AM
What is it now?

"musick"

Posted By: maverick Re: How do you tell where you're going - 02/19/05 12:24 AM
> "musick"

swiftly followed by "can I have a bed for the night I fly in dude, and which bar shall we meet in?" ;)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: How do you tell where you're going - 02/19/05 12:34 AM
To anyone just about: from Virginia( possibly adding USA, depending upon audience)

To Virginians: from DeWitt (sometimes adding: southwest of Richmond)

To DeWittians: from Rocky Run

Interesting question.

Posted By: Zed Re: How do you tell where you're going - 02/19/05 12:37 AM
To Canadians I say "Vancouver", In the States I add "B C" (or British Columbia) as there is a Vancouver, Washington too.
Elsewhere I say "Vancouver, on the west coast of Canada."

Posted By: Faldage Re: How do you tell where you're going - 02/19/05 01:31 PM
To DeWittians: from Rocky Run

Funny, we allus tell people you're from Dim-witty.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: How do you tell where you're going - 02/19/05 01:34 PM
I knew you would bring that out, Faldage. But, no, I generally tell people I'm from DeWitt. I pronounce it: Duh WITT; locals pronounce it: DEE witt

Posted By: musick Do you know where you're going to... - 02/22/05 05:51 PM
...a bed for the night I fly in...

Nightly rentals of futons with wings?

Posted By: Capfka Re: Do you know where you're going to... - 02/22/05 07:04 PM
I say "I'm from Irchester ... " Slight pause while listening to incredulous reply. Then "Yes, I know it sounds like something out of the Archers!"

Northamptonshire is a black hole to most people. You go straight from Buckinghamshire to Leicestershire.

To the ignorati - almost anyone who doesn't come from Britain - I simply say "I live 60 miles north of London." They lose interest at that point ...

Posted By: Jackie Re: Do you know where you're going to... - 02/23/05 12:55 AM
How many syllables in Irchester? And Leicestershire, for that matter?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Do you know where you're going to... - 02/23/05 01:09 AM
How many syllables

Wait, wait, don't tell me.

Three each, yeah?

Leicestershire as said here in NZ would have 3 syllables and, or course, no "r"s.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Do you know where you're going to... - 02/23/05 01:58 AM
My friend formerly of Birmingham (UK) would have said the locals would say it something like Lst-sh, I think. Apparently Brumsians are a-vowel-ic.

I have a friend born in Leicester, and he says the name of the town exactly the way we do - Lest(schwa). I've never asked him to pronounce the county's name.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Do you know where you're going to... - 02/23/05 07:19 AM
Okay. Please walk me through Worchestershire again.

Posted By: maverick Re: Do you know where you're going to... - 02/23/05 10:49 AM
> walk me through Worchestershire again

It's a big place - how long have we got?

woos-tah-sh'r

Posted By: Capfka Re: Do you know where you're going to... - 02/23/05 11:20 AM
I struggled with names ending in -cester when I first got here. For weeks we listened to radio announcers talk about some place called "Toaster" and another place called "Bister". Finally I bestirred myself to look at a map and came up with "Towcester" and "Bicester". Aha, the penny dropped. Where -cester is preceded by one syllable, you get Towcester = Toaster and Bicester = Bister, and likewise Worcester, Leicester and the rest. Where there are two syllables preceding the -cester, such as in Cirencester, the -cester is pronounced more or less as spelled = "Cyrensester".

Irchester, on the other hand, has the "h" which guarantees a full pronunciation of the last two syllables regardless of what precedes it.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Do you know where you're going to... - 02/23/05 12:39 PM
Irchester, on the other hand, has the "h" which guarantees a full pronunciation of the last two syllables regardless of what precedes it.
Don't you mean irregardless, re: Irchester?

Does -cester mean anything in particular? That is, in the same way that -ton so often signifies Something-Town?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: cester - 02/23/05 01:04 PM
You're on it, Jackie! According to the Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary; Hall (Cambridge Univ. Press, 1960), -cester comes from cæster = castle, fort, town.

Posted By: Capfka Re: cester - 02/23/05 01:26 PM
Yeahbut(c) there are variations:

caster,     |             |               | Lancaster
cester, | OE, W (<L) | Camp | Doncaster
chester, | | Fortification | Gloucester
caer | | | Caister
| Caerdydd,
| Carleon
-cester, -ster is a suffix
caer- is a prefix
The "-ster" sometimes simplified to "-ter", e.g. Exeter, Uttoxeter

Posted By: of troy Re: cester - 02/23/05 02:52 PM
What!? you mean they weren't consistant in use or spelling? and sometimes used a whole latin word as a suffix, and sometimes used just the latin suffix as suffix, and sometimes didn't even use the whole suffix?

where were all the prescriptive scholar? why didn't they set up rules for how to use suffixes?

yeah gads!

Posted By: Capfka Re: cester - 02/23/05 05:37 PM
Sorry to disappoint you so bitterly, oh great one ...

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Do you know where you're going to... - 02/23/05 11:34 PM
Thanks, Mav', for Worchestershire. I was correct in my thinking! Amazing.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: How do you tell where you're from - 02/23/05 11:40 PM
>How do you tell where you're from?

I generally look at my birth certificate.

[ducking and running for cover-e]

Posted By: Faldage Re: cester - 02/25/05 12:14 AM
Yeahbut(c)[sic]

Ceaster, et al. are from the Latin castrum, fort. I had always thought that caer was Gaelic. I guess I could see it coming from the Latin, too.

Posted By: Jackie Re: cester - 02/25/05 12:22 AM
Does castrum have anything to do with cutting?

Posted By: Faldage Re: cester - 02/25/05 02:03 AM
anything to do with cutting?

Nor with beavers, neither.

Posted By: Jackie Re: cester - 02/25/05 02:35 AM

Posted By: consuelo Re: Do you know where you're going to... - 03/07/05 11:00 AM
In reply to:

"can I have a bed for the night I fly in dude?"

Hey! I resemble that remark! I already know which bar, tho'.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: How do you tell where you're from - 03/07/05 11:56 AM
Back to the original question:

How do I tell where I'm from?

Just check my birth certificate.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: How do you tell where you're from - 03/07/05 01:18 PM
I say "I'm from Kentucky," unless I'm talking to Jackie in which case I just say that I'm from Georgetown.

Posted By: musick I see trees of green... - 03/07/05 05:03 PM
Just check my birth certificate.

OK... Ok, we believe you... but just in case, I'll take a look at that...yep it does *say "Earth".

Posted By: AnnaStrophic It's one of the first signs... - 03/07/05 06:38 PM
I generally look at my birth certificate.

I believed you the first time!

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: It's one of the first signs... - 03/07/05 07:25 PM
Well, you obviously don't know what it's like when you get older! Soon I will be in my sixtieth year, which I had hoped would make me a sexygenerian, but so far it's not looking too good.

Posted By: Faldage Re: It's one of the first signs... - 03/07/05 11:11 PM
xin my sixtieth year, which I had hoped would make me a sexygenerian

Young punk kids these days …

Posted By: amnow Re: It's one of the first signs... - 03/09/05 09:42 PM
I have always loved younger men... and I think you look just fine and dandy. So there!

Posted By: musick March madness - 03/10/05 10:36 AM
Currently, I amnow younger than *them...

Posted By: amnow Re: March madness - 03/11/05 02:24 AM
An on line proposition?

If I'm in Algoma (this region of Ontario) I say "I'm fifteen minutes up the Chapleau Highway, a little place called Wharncliffe." If I'm in Southern Ontario, I say "I'm an hour east of Sault Ste Marie". That one usually works in the States, too, as Sault, Michigan and Sault, Ontario are side-by-side, but I'll add "Sault, Canada" in case my Canadian accent isn't showing that day.
If I'm feeling bloody-minded, I'll say: "You got a map of Ontario? Okay, look at the top of it. Okay, now turn it over; I'm on the other side."
I always say "Northern Ontario". I believe we should separate from the Greater Toronto Area.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: How do you tell where you're from - 03/27/05 02:38 AM
Most Canadians think they should be separated from the Greater Toronto Area EC

© Wordsmith.org