Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu many from one - 02/12/05 05:37 PM
we just got a new cat, and we'd like to adapt his Humane Society name to something a bit more personal. his current name is Tigger. what I'm looking for is a site that would give me the word Tigger (or more probably, Tiger) in many different languages. I took a peruse through Max's list, but couldn't quite decide where to go from there.

any ideas?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: many from one - 02/12/05 05:48 PM
When I saw your thread starter title ('many from one'), I immediately thought of pineapple propagation: many plants being propagated from the base of one plant (ratoon or rattoon).

Then when I opened your thread and saw you wanted the name for a kitty, I immediately thought: Rattoon! Perfect! Many from One!

Sigh of disappointment. Then I read that you wanted another name for Tigger. Sigh, again.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: many from one - 02/12/05 05:51 PM
heh. Rattoon. maybe Mousoon...

thanks, WW.

Posted By: Faldage Re: many from one - 02/12/05 09:46 PM
To know a cat's name you have to get to know the cat and keep an open mind. Eventually the cat will let you know.

Posted By: maverick Re: many from one - 02/12/05 11:18 PM
Glad to see this under Mousellany... :)

Posted By: Owlbow Re: many from one - 02/14/05 11:47 AM
I think Adolf would be a bad name too.

Posted By: Dgeigh Re: many from one - 02/14/05 04:03 PM
what I'm looking for is a site that would give me the word Tigger (or more probably, Tiger) in many different languages.

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: many from one - 02/14/05 04:27 PM
thanks, J.

I've found translation sites, but I was hoping for something that would give me multiple translations simultaneously, similar to what answer.com does.

Posted By: amnow Re: many from one - 02/14/05 09:53 PM
We used to have a Siamese cat named by, and temporarily owned by, my brother. He said, "The cat's name is 'Pool-bah', which is Siamese for $#!+-storm." I never believed him. 'Poolie' adopted us and lived with up for many years, but I still never believed my brother.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: many from one - 02/14/05 10:27 PM
pool-bah?! mighten that have been pool-pah?

pool-pah - the wrath of god; a sh*t storm (coined by Kurt Vonnegut) <<< in Cat's Cradle!

Posted By: tsuwm The Fourteenth Book - 02/14/05 10:38 PM
In reply to:

"Sometimes the pool-pah," Bokonon tells us, "exceeds the power of humans to comment." Bokonon translates pool-pah at one point in The Books of Bokonon as "shit storm" and at another point as "wrath of God."

Posted By: amnow Re: many from one - 02/15/05 12:28 AM
Bingo! It was years ago, and I'd forgotten the Vonnegut connection. Thanks.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: many from one - 02/15/05 12:34 AM
well, my wife has decided that since Tigger is 2 1/2, we can't change his name. so the search for a good nickname is now afoot. "Tig" seems to be leading the way...

you may now resume your previous digression...

Posted By: Dgeigh Re: plura euno - 02/15/05 03:37 PM
The fancies of Old Possum aside, it’s my experience that cats generally don’t care what you call them as long as you feed them and give them water. Since they don’t understand what you’re saying, or what their “name” means anyway, they more than likely associate the sounds of their name with a vague concept that you are addressing them, if indeed they think about it at all. Certainly, one’s tone of voice and facial expressions influences their interpretations of the sounds one makes as well. Consider too, that if everyone stops calling a cat by whatever name it was previously given, it will eventually begin to recognize the new sounds of its new name, and do with it what it will. Just keep the food and water coming.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: plura meowno - 02/15/05 04:23 PM
>Since they don’t understand what you’re saying,

HA!

Posted By: TEd Remington Dogs are no better! - 02/15/05 07:58 PM
http://www.getacard.com/product_page.php?PRID=3061&CGID=21032

Posted By: tsuwm what (some) people hear - 02/15/05 08:04 PM
>What Dogs Hear
Price: $3.29

was it really that long ago that greeting cards were two bits... four bits... six bits...?

Posted By: Dgeigh Re: Plura euno - 02/15/05 08:20 PM
As cases-in-point, my male cat answers (in his own special way) to: Hot-rod, Fuzzy-butt, Dingleberry, Dumb-ass, and Knuckle-head. My female cat answers (in her own special way) to: Kitty-pop, Pretty-girl, Fuzzy-butt, Fuzzy-pants, and Little Miss Priss-n-fur.

Posted By: Jackie Re: plura meowno - 02/17/05 02:54 AM
For future ref., eta--you might try Babelfish.

Posted By: amnow Re: what (some) people hear - 02/18/05 02:41 AM
I'm soooooo getting one of these.

TOKYO - After selling 300,000 pet-lovers on the Bowlingual gadget that supposedly translates a dog's bark into human language, a toymaker hopes to parlay that success into a new hit product: Meowlingual.

The cat-shaped machine set to go on sale in Japan in November translates meows and purrs into human phrases such as "I can't stand it," although exact wording hasn't been decided yet, Tokyo-based Takara Co. said Wednesday.

The translation device will likely sell for about $74, slightly cheaper than the $125 Bowlingual, which has been a big hit in Japan.

Both gadgets use scientific data on animal sounds from a Tokyo laboratory that also analyzes human voices, helps solve crime and takes part in designing software for mobile phones.

A really practical goodie! Well...for someone, I guess. >^--^<

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: what (some) people hear - 02/18/05 02:44 AM
then we really can ask the cat his name.

but if he says Fuzzy-butt or something like that...

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: what (some) people hear - 02/18/05 11:18 AM
The translator could be to show us a meow say tongue.

Posted By: Dgeigh Re: what (some) people hear - 02/19/05 02:33 AM

then we really can ask the cat his name.

but if he says Fuzzy-butt or something like that...

LOL! That’s too funny!

Dgeigh: “Hey, Fuzzy-butt! What’s up?”

Hot-rod: “Me-ow? Ow me-owu myaw-ow Eowwwwwww-oww?”

Meowlingual: “What’s up yourself? And how the hell did you know my name was ‘Fuzzy-butt’, anyway?”

The translator could be to show us a meow say tongue.

Here’s a print out from their prototype rodent translator. Apparently it’s a transcript of a lab mouse being tested for frustration levels in a maze with no cheese.

Mouse say: “Dung!”

They’re still working on enhancing the prototype’s vocabulary.

Yeah, I know: it's weak.

© Wordsmith.org