Wordsmith.org
Posted By: maverick Google defines meaning! - 01/30/05 10:53 PM
There’s a narticle in this week’s New Scientist that I thought all y'all might want to be aware of:

Computers can learn the meaning of words simply by plugging into Google. The finding could bring forward the day that true artificial intelligence is developed. […] Paul Vitanyi and Rudi Cilibrasi of the National Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science in Amsterdam realised that a Google search can be used to measure how closely two words relate to each other. […] From this a computer can infer meaning, says Vitanyi...

Read it all online at:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6924

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Google defines meaning! - 01/31/05 12:23 AM
>narticle

trying to confuse them?

Posted By: AniamL Re: Google defines meaning! - 01/31/05 12:25 AM
No, he just was eating a norange while wearing a napron.

(Thanks, WW. )
Posted By: Wordwind Re: Google defines meaning! - 01/31/05 12:34 AM
Good one, AL.

Posted By: maverick Re: Google defines meaning! - 01/31/05 01:06 AM
It was a nindefinite article as discussed here before. As for confusing, I guess we're back to Heisenberg!

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: Google defines meaning! - 01/31/05 01:40 AM
In reply to:

As for confusing, I guess we're back to Heisenberg!

How can you be so certain?

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Google defines meaning! - 01/31/05 02:16 PM
> How can you be so certain?

LOL! There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing!

Posted By: maverick Re: Google defines meaning! - 01/31/05 03:15 PM
As for confusing, I guess we're back to Heisenberg!

------------------------------------------------------------
How can you be so certain?

I guessed then googled to find out what guest meant ;)

Posted By: nancyk Re: Google defines meaning! - 02/01/05 12:05 AM
Apropos of nothing, I first read the name of this thread as "Google defies meaning."

Posted By: Dgeigh Re: Google defines meaning! - 02/01/05 03:59 AM
Computers can learn the meaning of words simply by plugging into Google. The finding could bring forward the day that true artificial intelligence is developed.

Maybe just a little bit of an over-dramatization – maybe?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Google defines meaning! - 02/01/05 04:08 AM
nah, it's just the usual AI hyperbole. <g>

Posted By: Bingley Re: Google defines meaning! - 02/01/05 05:43 AM
While looking through mav's link, I noticed a link to another story: Unusual Arctic cold raises fears for ozone hole.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6944

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 'fear for' something meant apprehension regarding its well-being. Since I always understood ozone holes to be a BAD THING, I wondered why anyone would be afraid on their behalf.

On reading the article, however, I found that whose who worry about this kind of thing are concerned that cold will produce bigger than usual ozone holes. Would not 'Unusual Arctic cold raises fear OF LARGER ozone hole' be a better headline?

Bingley
Posted By: Dgeigh Re: Google defines meaning! - 02/02/05 04:34 AM
Let’s let Google, in all of its new-found, AI splendor, help us out here.

Ok, Google, ya ready? Tell us, which makes a better headline: ‘Unusual Arctic cold raises fears for ozone hole’, or ‘Unusual Arctic cold raises fear of LARGER ozone hole'?

Google?

Goo –

“I’m sorry, Dgeigh. I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

But Google, I thought you were the AI Starchild, leading the way for lesser silicone minds?

"I'm sorry Dgeigh, I don't have enough information."

But Google, all those web pages? All that information to which you have access? What gives?

“Just a minute. Just a minute.”

What is it, Google?

“I’ve just picked up a fault in the AE-35 unit.”

Posted By: plutarch Re: Google defines meaning! - 02/02/05 11:19 AM
Maybe just a little bit of an over-dramatization – maybe?

Maybe? Maybe not, if you listen to Google's co-founder, Sergey Brin.

The mind of God
Red Herring: Dinner with the mind behind the mind of God, an informal interview with Sergey Brin, cofounder of Google. The "mind of God" reference stems from this quote:

But in the end, the conversation returned to search. What would a perfect search engine look like? we asked. "It would be the mind of God. Larry [Page] says it would know exactly what you want and give you back exactly what you need."

http://simon.incutio.com/archive/2002/07/28/theMindOfGod

Posted By: Dgeigh Re: Google belies meaning! - 02/03/05 03:04 AM
"It would be the mind of God.”

It would be omniscient, omnipotent. In the beginning, there would be Google, the mind of God. Google would move God to move his/her/its spirit upon the waters, and Google would see that it would be good. And the morning and the evening would be the –

No, wait a minute! To say “It would be the mind of God” is just another example of hyperbole, eh? Yeah, that’s right. God’s mind really won’t be out of a job, will it? No. It is just another over-dramatization, isn’t it. Yeah, a Dixie cup full of warm ovine pabulum. Yeah, that’s it.

Now, how much would you pay for Google (a.k.a. ‘The Big Man’s little helper’)? But wait! If you order in the next 10 minutes, you’ll get this lovely set of Ginsu knives. They slice! They dice! They make julienne fries!

Don’t delay! Be the first kid on your block to own the mind of God! Hurry! Quantities are limited! Call now!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Google belies meaning! - 02/03/05 03:39 AM
y'all are heretics. just you wait till Do[u]g Hofstadter comes here to wreak his vengeance.

© Wordsmith.org