Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind fulgurating--interesting definition - 08/25/04 12:21 PM
Beyond physical lightning that all of you probably associate with this word, I just learned that fulgurating can also mean very sharp, lancinate instances of pain, something recently on my mind since a close relative went through an episode with gallstones.

Anyway, I thought you might be interested in learning that fulgurating not only covered physical lightning, but lightninglike intances of sharp pain.

Posted By: Owlbow fulguration - 08/25/04 01:22 PM
I worked in a fire assay lab for 17 years where the term fulguration is sometimes heard. Fire assay is an ancient method for precious metals analysis. It’s a small scale refining procedure. In the metals assay community, the more common term for the phenomenon is blick. It describes the brief flash of light (latent heat of fusion) given off by the precious metal bead (the glob of metal that is the final product of fire assay) as the last bit of lead oxide and other flux constituents are oxidized and absorbed away from the bead. Sometimes I would peek into the furnace to view the blick which was often preceded by a vigorous and beautiful swirling of colors on the bead's surface. This was the very last thin layer of lead oxide. Perhaps norgatem has affected the efflux of lead from some hapless fire assayers’ cells. (Did I use that correctly?)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: fulguration - 08/25/04 02:13 PM
There is a wealth of vocabulary, O'b, in your paragraph of having worked in a 'fire assay lab'. Blick = fulguration here, in the flash of light sense, yes?

Posted By: Owlbow News Flash! - 08/25/04 02:21 PM
Yes. A dynamic and wonderous vision, that blick, but perhaps only to a long time labrat such as I.
"...a wealth of..." meaning Gold, Silver, Platinum..?

Posted By: TEd Remington term for the phenomenon is blick - 08/25/04 05:12 PM
Coming, I'm guessing, from the German blick which we know as blink; if I remember my German from almost 40 years ago the word augenblick means blink of an eye.

Posted By: Owlbow blick - 08/25/04 05:35 PM
Der flüchtige Blick
It happens just that quickly. An apt description, I feel, for an overt display of the wonder of physics.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: blick - 08/25/04 05:40 PM
Will you please translate the German phrase, OwlB? Thanks!

Posted By: jheem Re: blick - 08/25/04 05:53 PM
Der flüchtige Blick == glimpse (literally fleeting glance) ...

Posted By: Wordwind Re: blick - 08/25/04 06:00 PM
Thank you, jheem. It is a lovely phrase, isn't it.

Posted By: jheem Re: blick - 08/25/04 06:12 PM
It is a lovely phrase, isn't it.

Poetic.

Posted By: Jackie Re: fulgurating--interesting definition - 08/26/04 02:56 PM
This was a new word to me, Wordwind--thank you. So--if there is lightning going on, would I say, "It's fulgurating" or "The sky is fulgurating"?
Thanks for the info. on blick, too, you-all.

© Wordsmith.org