Wordsmith.org
Posted By: clockworkchaos Checks - hot or cold? - 08/09/04 05:43 PM
In the middle of nowhere KY we called checks that were written and cashed prior to the money making it to the bank, "cold checks." In middle of nowhere AR they call the same type of check a "hot check." Anyone know which came first and why the difference?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Checks - hot or cold? - 08/09/04 07:42 PM
Hi cwc.

This is an interesting question. I thought everybody called them NSF cheques. That is what they are called here in Québec.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Checks - hot or cold? - 08/09/04 07:54 PM
Hi there clock. Nice to see another Kentuckian 'round these parts. I've heard them called cold checks too, and rubber checks (because they bounce, of course) as well.

Posted By: of troy Re: Checks - hot or cold? - 08/10/04 11:48 AM
kited--you kite a check when you write it before the funds are available.

so if you make a deposit that is from an out of state bank and takes 3 days to clear, and befor it clears you write against it, the check is kited.

if there are no funds, never where, and never will be, its a rubber check.

Posted By: wow Re: Checks - hot or cold? - 08/10/04 03:21 PM
OK, then what is it when someone increases the amount of the check after you've written it? I thought that was kiting a check. I was taught never to leave room on the written-out-amount line so nobody could increase the anmount. Also was taught that the bank must go by the amount that is written out, not the amount in arabic numerals.
So - what's the scoop? Any bankers amongst us?

© Wordsmith.org