Wordsmith.org
Posted By: bonzaialsatian The romantic dictator - 07/05/04 09:03 PM
I just heard an interesting topic on a BBC Radio4 programme about Saddam Hussein as a romantic novellist. Apparently, he has already published several novels, all based around rather obvious political allegories about kings and princes, etc. (the commentator described his style as "...interesting") The programme was suggesting that in fact, many leaders of the past, esecially those with the dispotic streak in them, have turned to some form of art as a form of justification for their actions - does anyone know of any examples?

Posted By: jheem Re: The romantic dictator - 07/06/04 12:24 AM
... and I heard he was ghosted ... Anybody know any different?

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: The romantic dictator - 07/06/04 01:25 AM
The first one (present-day) that pops to mind is John Ashcroft... he's definitely got a despotic streak, and that song is simply ~ um... wow.

http://www.cnn.com/video/us/2002/ 02/25/ashcroft.sings.wbtv.med.html

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: The romantic dictator - 07/06/04 10:37 AM
Then there was Hitler, the frustrated artist... (though here we have a chicken-and-egg example)

Posted By: Capfka Re: The romantic dictator - 07/06/04 12:42 PM
... and I heard he was ghosted ... Anybody know any different?

Dunno about writing, but when the Iraqi courts are through with him he'll be a ghost, I'd say.

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: The romantic dictator - 07/06/04 05:34 PM
>Hitler

wwh reminded me of this in a PM earlier, but did he continue his painting into his reign or was it part of the reason he went into all that dictatory stuff in the first place?

I remember hearing a mention of Gaddafi(sp?) being a short story writer or something but I can't remember the details now.

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: The romantic dictator - 07/06/04 05:43 PM
>ghosted

Judging by the critics' responses to the quality of his work I don't know why he bothered hiring a ghost writer! Though he did apparently write under a psuedonym (if he did indeed write them himself), and wrote in classical Arabic, which apparently translates into rather overly-florid prose in most modern languages.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: The romantic dictator - 07/06/04 08:08 PM
did he continue his painting into his reign or was it part of the reason he went into all that dictatory stuff in the first place?

Yeah. That's why I mentioned chickens and eggs. I was taught it was the latter...

Posted By: dxb Re: The romantic dictator - 07/07/04 01:16 PM
The Emperor Nero fancied himself as a musician, dancer and actor.

Hitler, I have read, was a painter of landscape scenes for picture postcards. Don't know if that's actually true or the result of some denigratory wartime propaganda. He did write Mein Kampf while he was in prison, they say; not exactly art though!
Posted By: Capfka Re: The romantic dictator - 07/07/04 04:16 PM
Oh yes, Hitler tried to make a living as a small-time artist in Vienna before WWI. Failed miserably. His paintings were completely without merit.

Posted By: wow Re: The romantic dictator - 07/07/04 05:05 PM
GIGO !

Posted By: jheem Re: The romantic dictator - 07/07/04 05:25 PM
When I think of the romantic dictator, I think of Nicholae Ceaucescu. Don't know if he wrote steely harlequinese novellas.

Posted By: Jackie Re: The romantic dictator - 07/08/04 12:06 AM
Don't know if he wrote steely harlequinese novellas. Um--didn't you mean Steele-y? (With apologies to Danielle.)

Posted By: jheem Re: The romantic dictator - 07/08/04 05:49 AM
Um--didn't you mean Steele-y?

Thanks for the correction. I meant Stalinesque.

(With apologies to Danielle.)

Learning Turkish:

http://www2.egenet.com.tr/mastersj/translating-danielle-steele-into-turkish-and-back.html

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: The romantic dictator - 07/08/04 11:36 AM
pardon my net acronym, jheem: ROTFLMAO!

for me, his are examples of "good" puns.....

© Wordsmith.org