Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm another lesson in research - 06/03/04 02:08 PM
former NYTimes editor Howard Raines, describing John Kerry: "It's as if Lurch had gone to Choate."

this has sent folks scurrying to their dictionaries (and some to OneLookŪ) to look up 'choate'. but this is somewhat futile, as Raines refers to the Conneticut prep school.

in this case googling the phrase "gone to Choate" is the way to go.

Posted By: Faldage Re: another lesson in research - 06/03/04 02:37 PM
Good thing they didn't google Conneticut.

Edit: I must admit to being a little surprised at the number of hits on conneticut. 96.6T
Posted By: Wordwind Re: another lesson in research - 06/06/04 10:21 PM
Curious that the abbreviation for CT is the very spelling problem in a nutshell, don't you agree?

But, that aside, thanks, tsuwm, for the Kerry cut. Here's a link to the whole enchilda, but you'll have to scroll down to June 3rd:

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/medialog/index.asp

I like Kerry's delivery, by the way. Limbaugh has been lambasting Kerry's style for weeks now, mocking it regularly, but I enjoy Kerry's style and find it has a lot more long-phrased mellifluousness than the other candidate's short little rubberbandits of minute grouplets of words shot out almost monotonically above his big shiny boots.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: another lesson in research - 06/06/04 10:41 PM
long-phrased mellifluousness than the other candidate's short little rubberbandits of minute grouplets of words shot out almost monotonically above his big shiny boots.

Posted By: dodyskin mellifluous - 06/12/04 11:00 AM
Random side thought. Wherever I put the accent in that word it comes out sounding the same.
Does this work for USn's?

Posted By: Faldage Re: accent - 06/12/04 11:07 AM
Wherever I put the accent in that word

If you mean the quality of the vowels reamins the same, taking the accent off the LIF turns the I to a schwa, otherwise, the vowels remain pretty much the same whether they're accented or not. If that's not what you mean I, for one, don't have the foggiest idea what you *do mean, so splain me.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: accent - 06/12/04 11:21 AM
yeah, when I put the accent in, the lif sounds louder.

Posted By: dodyskin Re: accent - 06/14/04 08:39 AM
I don't know the proper word for what I mean. Damn.

© Wordsmith.org