Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jomama Kidspeak - 05/16/04 02:54 AM
I may have coined a word or two, probably inadvertently, but I notice that children often use words that adults would not think of--I used to tell my kids(with some emotion) that there was no such word as "tump"--apparently meaning "turn over and dump out". They used the word anyway and were delighted to find it in a novel-I think it was "On the Beach". More kidspeak (besides blanky, wa-wa, etc.)?

Posted By: tsuwm regional - 05/16/04 02:14 PM
http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/rst.htm#tump

Posted By: jheem Re: regional chiefly Southern U.S. - 05/16/04 04:23 PM
http://www.bartleby.com/61/91/T0409170.html

Posted By: Jomama Re: regional chiefly Southern U.S. - 05/17/04 02:34 AM
Thanks, tsuwm and jheem--Not only were my offspring, when
in grade school, right about "tump" and I was wrong,
but they were more southern than their south Florida native mama!
A few years later they were using a politically incorrect adjective--reflicted. I understood that one but don't think it earned any points in English class.

Posted By: Jackie Re: regional chiefly Southern U.S. - 05/17/04 04:21 PM
reflicted...??

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Kidspeak - 05/18/04 01:15 PM

I loved hearing this evidence that their little brains are trying to work things out. I haven't noticed they have created any neologisms recently, but they're both over ten now. A few years back, though, it seemed they were always contriving words to describe unfamiliar situations.

k

Posted By: Jomama Re: regional chiefly Southern U.S. - 05/18/04 04:10 PM
Sadly, Jackie, a combination of "retarded" and "afflicted".
Used scathingly of friends and family who were neither.

Posted By: Coffeebean Re: regional chiefly Southern U.S. - 05/18/04 04:25 PM
In reply to:

reflicted...??

ditto

Whazzit mean?

Posted By: musick Re: Kidspeak - 05/18/04 05:44 PM
Gription = Friction created by hand.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Kidspeak - 05/19/04 06:12 PM
Gription = Friction created by hand.

Presumably the hand of an adolescent male?

Posted By: ZDub Re: Kidspeak - 06/18/04 06:42 PM
My parents are retired English professors, as a result, I was raised by the entire English department at the University of South Dakota. My parents and their collogues swear that I came up with the term "Academia Nuts" when I was six years old. I think it extremely unlikely that I was the first to think of this paronomasia; however I know I didn't hear it from anyone else, so I'll take credit for it at USD, but not elsewhere.

Z-Dub
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Academia Nuts - 06/18/04 06:48 PM
And I'll take credit for having come up with the term at a slightly later age in Atlanta. Independent discovery, I daresay.

Meanwhile, have any of you ever heard this question: "Do you want to take your lunch or ride the bus?"? I thought my mom (a retired English teacher) came up with that one frazzled morning while trying to get us all off to school, but my husband recently said he'd heard it, too...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Academia nuts - 06/18/04 06:49 PM
That's why I prefer the pronunciation <a-kuh-day-me-uh> rather than <a-kuh-dee-me-uh>.

Posted By: TEd Remington Nut AGAIN! - 06/18/04 07:39 PM
Don't forget that you pecan this. I walnut take any blame for continuing what you started, even if it makes those allergic to puns say, "cashew" over and over again (though of course that could just be the atmosphere.) The hazel get you in some parts of the country, almond friends agree on that. I pine for more clear weather, though I will peanut alarmed if the air isn't of the highest quality.

TEd, your pistachioed and bearded correspondent

PS

My God, I think I've been hexed.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: TEd AGAIN! - 06/18/04 07:44 PM
somebody restrain him, please....

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Kidspeak - 06/18/04 10:38 PM
University of South Dakota

in Vermillion?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic University of Southern North Dakota - 06/18/04 11:29 PM
at Hoople?

hey Iphigenia, you from Brooklyn?

Posted By: ZDub Re: Kidspeak - 06/19/04 04:19 AM
In reply to:

in Vermillion?

Yes indeed.

In reply to:

Don't forget that you pecan this. I walnut take any blame for continuing what you started, even if it makes those allergic to puns say, "cashew" over and over again (though of course that could just be the atmosphere.) The hazel get you in some parts of the country, almond friends agree on that. I pine for more clear weather, though I will peanut alarmed if the air isn't of the highest quality.

TEd, your pistachioed and bearded correspondent

PS

My God, I think I've been hexed.

Oh my. Is this my fault?

Z-Dub

Posted By: musick 'Shmallows - 06/19/04 02:25 PM
Oh my. Is this my fault?

Not really, but TEd is 'on call' if you wanna start smore.

© Wordsmith.org