Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm wwftd in the news: parrhesia - 04/01/04 02:20 PM
http://news.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id=369852004

Posted By: Jackie Re: wwftd in the news: parrhesia - 04/01/04 02:50 PM
Nice cross-threading, tsuwm! I love this:
William Safire

‘IN RHETORIC, however," I lazily wrote, "parrhesia has a specialized meaning." In zinged a mock-irate letter from Alistair Cooke, founder of what he called Sanpickle - the "Safire Nit Pickers’ League".

Did I write this unnecessary "ize", he demanded, on personalized notepaper, to be read by customized shirts? "Your little flourish of bloviation provoked spasms of sarcasm, like ‘I suppose if he got in trouble in England he’d go looking for a Specialized Constable, ie, a constable appointed for specialized occasions.’"

Then there was the time I wrote "our mutual fascination", an error that drew Cooke’s "You mean ‘our common’ or ‘our shared’ fascination. ‘Our mutual fascination’ means our fascination with each other: ‘Our mutual fascination with’ anything is nonsense, you dummy! And I thought you were the American language wallah!" He signed it "Your mutual pedant". I sent him a copy of the Dickens novel Our Mutual Friend.

What fun they must have had!

Posted By: wwh Re: wwftd in the news: parrhesia - 04/01/04 06:13 PM
Let me "zing in" a bit of outrage that no discussion of
"parrhesia" was given. The dictionary definitions I have
found so far seem quite inadequate. The mention "freedom" and "boldness" but do not say a mumbling word about TRUTH.
The worst liars can speak boldly and freely.
Here is rather long site about Socrates:
http://foucault.info/documents/parrhesia/Lecture-05/01.socratic.html

Please, can someone show me an adequate definition of "parrhesia"?

Posted By: Faldage Re: wwftd in the news: parrhesia - 04/01/04 06:37 PM
How's this'n Dr Bill?

http://humanities.byu.edu/rhetoric/Figures/P/PARRHESIA.HTM

Posted By: wwh Re: wwftd in the news: parrhesia - 04/01/04 06:52 PM
Dear Faldage: "candidly" ought to mean truthfully. In the Jesus quote, it meant that He did not attempt to conceal
anything. There ought to be rhetoric term for "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."

Posted By: Faldage Re: wwftd in the news: parrhesia - 04/01/04 06:56 PM
I believe it does mean 'truthfully', but, with the added connotation of doing so without regard to the feelings of the listener. This may or may not be a good thing.

Posted By: wsieber Re: wwftd in the news: parrhesia - 04/02/04 11:18 AM
His obituaries - many prepared decades ago -
How should we take this?

Posted By: Faldage Re: wwftd in the news: parrhesia - 04/02/04 12:01 PM
It's common journalistic practice to have obits ready to go at a moments notice for any famous person. They do update them from time to time. You don't have to worry about yours ending with the date of your graduation from the Gymnasium.

Posted By: wsieber Re: wwftd in the news: parrhesia - 04/02/04 12:46 PM
It's common journalistic practice to have obits ready to go at a moments notice - If it's common practice, why do they feel obliged to mention it? I am not worrying about my own obituary, as I probably have to prepare it myself anyway. I keep putting it off...

Posted By: Faldage Re: wwftd in the news: parrhesia - 04/02/04 01:20 PM
They, in this case, is William Safire, who is not so much a journalist as a columnist and soi-disant language maven who is interpreting for us unwashed.

Posted By: Capfka Re: wwftd in the news: parrhesia - 04/02/04 04:05 PM
It's common journalistic practice to have obits ready to go at a moments notice for any famous person. They do update them from time to time. You don't have to worry about yours ending with the date of your graduation from the Gymnasium.

Hell, yes, updating the obits was something that no journalist at my newspaper wanted to do. It was therefore deemed, in order to make the worst of a bad job, to be the job of the cub reporters who were at the bottom of the hierarchical journalistic league tables, and who had no one else to fob the task off on to.

© Wordsmith.org