Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Altruism - 03/31/04 01:34 PM
A friend and I have been having a thoroughly enjoyable discussion/argument on this topic. So enjoyable and interesting that with his permission I am inviting all of your-all's comments.
What, exactly, is altruism? Is it defined by intentions or results? If a person does a good deed but then trumpets about it, is he altruistic? Or--if someone meant to do good but unintentionally causes a disaster: is that altruism? Is it possible that someone becomes a movie star for altruistic reasons?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Altruism - 03/31/04 01:47 PM
I think the classic definition of altruism requires the altruist to completely deny self-interest for the interests of others. Final outcome is totally irrelevant. Self-sacrifice is the ultimate good. I don't think that's the way most people who value the common good over the needs of the self would define it today. I don't think I've answered your question. But, perhaps you-both'll want to make sure you're singing from the same dictionary before you get too far into this argum^H^H^H^H^H umm, discussion.

Posted By: maahey Re: Altruism - 03/31/04 09:07 PM
Ok Jackie, I will give it a go...

What, exactly, is altruism? Is it defined by intentions or results?
I agree with Fald, that the means define altruism; it is the intent that defines it. However, if the end is not achieved, then the effort will not be *recognised as altruistic, will fall by the wayside and might even be derided as do-gooding. And so, the results are important for the recognition of the lofty ideal behind the act.

If a person does a good deed but then trumpets about it, is he altruistic?
No...that is clearly opportunism

if someone meant to do good but unintentionally causes a disaster: is that altruism?
*This might be meddling dogooder-y!
Seriously though, it might depend on the scale of the disaster and the planning that went into the effort to help. A knee jerk reaction to help, that results in chaos, would be an interfering annoyance. But a well planned effort devoid of motives, that goes all wrong could still be called, 'a heroic but frutiless effort of altruism'.

Is it possible that someone becomes a movie star for altruistic reasons
Framed the way you ask it, I will have to say no. But, he/she could have acted in a movie with a social message that has the potential of bringing about great societal change; he/she might have acted in it gratis, for the sake of the cause and inadvertently ended up becoming a movie star. I guess then, his act of altruism paid rich dividends!!! Inadvertently, of course!

Posted By: Capfka Re: Altruism - 03/31/04 11:19 PM
Dworkin would define altruism as being an unconcious chalking up of favours owed to one to aid one's longer-term survival through eventual repayment. I think he would also say that if one believed one was being truly altruistic, then one is sadly mistaken. We are programmed to act selfishly - "The Selfish Gene" - according to Dworkin and pure altruism, with no hope of any payback is contrasurvival.

Personally, I think that this is horsepucky, like all sociobiology, but there you are!

Damn. remembering post-grad pysch classes at 1.17 a.m.! What next?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Altruism - 04/01/04 03:00 PM
you-both'll A take-off on you-all? As to the dictionary-singing, that was the whole point: the yes-buts. [back to the fray with a grin e]

If a person does a good deed but then trumpets about it, is he altruistic?
No...that is clearly opportunism
Aha--but what's wrong with telling a few people about it, if the action, say was done purely for the benefit of group A, and the people you tell are group B? That doesn't negate the benefits in any way that I can see.

Who is or was this Dworkin dude, anyway? Rather unfortunate name...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Altruism - 04/01/04 03:37 PM
you-both'll

Yes. It's the explicit dual number. And I've heard it used spontaneously in the wild by a Southron girl.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Altruism - 04/02/04 01:54 AM
in the wild by a Southron girl Faldage!!! My turn to be shocked!

Posted By: Bingley Re: Altruism - 04/02/04 07:25 AM
In reply to:

Who is or was this Dworkin dude, anyway? Rather unfortunate name...

Actually, his name is Dawkins, author of "The Selfish Gene".

See: http://www.world-of-dawkins.com/Dawkins/Work/Books/selfish.shtml

More deserving of fame in AWAD circles, perhaps, as the coiner of the word "meme".

Bingley

Posted By: Capfka Re: Altruism - 04/02/04 09:57 AM
Sorry, yes that's Dawkins. It was late. I was tired. The tired bit hasn't really changed, that's all.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Altruism - 04/02/04 10:39 AM
Hi,
could you please define horsepucky for me?. You can be frank about it, I am no sociobiologist, and I also have some sneaky suspicions about them. I gather the "selfish gene" is already outdated.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Altruism - 04/02/04 12:46 PM

Intent determines altruism in humans. If the sole purpose that a person did a particular thing was so he could say "See, I did *this*," then the thing is not altruistic. If the person did it for selfless reasons and then bragged about it as an afterthought, the deed is no less altruistic, imo.

I - and perhaps others - write as if altruism and selfishness were binary choices. But there are gradations between these extremes and a single bit is insufficient to convey the myriad possibilities.

I qualify the above with the phrase "in humans," because it's not clear to me that bees, for example, have intent, though their behavior is commonly recognized as altruistic.

k

Posted By: Capfka Re: Altruism - 04/02/04 04:01 PM
could you please define horsepucky for me?. You can be frank about it, I am no sociobiologist, and I also have some sneaky suspicions about them. I gather the "selfish gene" is already outdated.

Sure, Werner. It's a polite way of saying bullshit!

I was being controversial. My dislike of sociobiology stems from an abhorrence of "science" that in many cases proves its theories by begging the question and other forms of dodgy logic. My dislike of sociobiology is also known to many on the board!

I've always felt that the major attraction of sociobiology to otherwise quite smart people like Dawkins is because adopting allows you to avoid rigour ...

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Altruism - 04/02/04 08:34 PM
>>>My dislike of sociobiology is also known to many on the board!

Really Cap? How could we possibly know that, what with you being all timid-like, and introverted, and reticent to voice yer opinion an all.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Altruism - 04/02/04 10:40 PM
Yes, he always has been a shrinking violet...

Posted By: wow Re: Altruism - 04/04/04 02:02 PM
"Regard for others as a principle of action; unselfishness" is the way OED defines it.
Wonder how long they discussed before coming up with that definition?

Posted By: tang Re: Altruism - 04/04/04 07:43 PM
the "selfish gene" is already outdated

The "selfish gene" isn't outdated, wsieber. It's just got a new spin doctor.

Posted By: tang Re: Altruism - 04/04/04 07:54 PM
Trumpeting a good deed ... That's clearly opportunism

Right on, maahey.

If I want to do good
And I try to do good
That's "altruism".

If I happen to do good
And I make it look good
That's "opportunism".

Posted By: wwh Re: Altruism - 04/04/04 08:07 PM
When a mother bird feeds the cookoo's young, is that
altruism? I think it could be argued both ways.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Altruism - 04/04/04 09:33 PM
I don't think so Bill, from the several articles I've read about it, the mother bird thinks that the cuckoo is actually one of her babies hatching from one of her own eggs. So she's not doing this out of niceness to the mother cuckoo.

I'm thinking that when the mother bird plays decoy to distract a predetor from her nest - that sounds more like altruism.

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Altruism - 04/04/04 10:41 PM
Actually, I've read a theory that it's the most selfish act of 'em all ~ the mother bird is attempting to distract the predator from her young so that her own genetic legacy will survive. The book to which I refer put it in a larger context, of course...

Dark Nature: A Natural History of Evil by Lyall Watson, in case anyone's interested. It was a good read.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 12:16 AM
Sometimes I think that scientists are so limited in their thinking.

The think that the ultimate reason the mother bird does this may be instinctual is one thing, but to reduce her action to only that is wrong.

I don’t believe the mother bird sees a fox approaching, and thinks, hmmmm, let me make sure my genetics survive in these chicklets. I believe she, like most mothers, simply figures out the best way to protect her babies. It has been demonstrated that birds show affection (not to say love since that annoys a lot of people - apparently humans are the only ones that are allowed to have that emotion) and it is that affection that will make the mother bird protect her babies.

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 02:34 AM
Oh, no... he wasn't letting humans have any more credit than the birds, actually. He roundly regarded the premise of "instinct" as an ingrained genetic response to assure that this particular genetic strain carries on.

I hate the brush-off tone with which many scientists use the word "anthropomorphizing" as much as it sounds like you do, Bel. This book was only so engaging to me because the author painted humans as just another animal, afforded no special byes just because we can walk upright.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 05:57 AM
Sometimes I think that scientists are so limited in their thinking.
Aren't you possibly jumping to conclusions, here? If a scientist limits his statements to the area he feels competent of (unlike sociobiologists..), this does not necessarily mean that his thoughts are similarly limited.
Personally I suspect that discussing altruism in the animal world is about as scientific as assigning a gender to a motorcar. Talking of altruism only makes sense for beings who can communicate their motives to us, humans. And even there, going farther than the OED's definition quickly leads onto marshy ground.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 10:18 AM
I suspect that discussing altruism in the animal world is about as scientific as assigning a gender to a motorcar.

If we're going to examine the origins of altruism in humans we must look at the behavior of animals. Even if you define altruism so as to seem to apply only to humans you'll have to adjust something when you find the so-called human traits appearing in other animals.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 11:21 AM
Well, I dunno about animal altruism.

When we owned a farmlet near Dunedin (NZ), Demmy, our 16-year-old dog, had a massive stroke that paralysed her. The vet came around that evening and put her to sleep in one of our outbuildings. We put an old rug over her until the morning, when we were going to bury her. In the morning, a friend who was staying with us offered to give me a hand to move her (she was a heavy dog) down to the spot where she was to be buried. He went out to get some gear and came back in looking a bit odd. "Come and have a look at this," he said.

I went out and looked. The rug had been pushed back from Demmy's head, and a vey dead rabbit had been dropped next to her mouth by one Lizzy, one of our cats.

I can only conclude that Lizzy WAS being altruistic when she attempted to "donate" a dead rabbit to her evidently ill friend, the dog.

Can anybody come up with a different but plausible explanation?

Posted By: jheem Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 12:27 PM
about as scientific as assigning a gender to a motorcar

Cars do have grammatical gender, e.g., das Auto, but I agree with you, there's nothing scientific about language.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 12:38 PM

We *ARE* animals.

I read Wilson's Sociobiology more than a decade ago. I read Blind Watchmaker, but not Selfish Gene, though it's on my list. It's far afield from my education, but I don't see that sociobiology (which Wilson refered to as "proto-science" in Sociobiology) is any less rigorous that the great bulk of sociology or psychology.

k

Posted By: wsieber Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 12:48 PM
We *ARE* animals. No doubt about that. We also consist of more than 50% water and several pounds of calcium phosphate. But the altruism bit applies essentially to those things which we have in addition to that.

Posted By: wwh Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 01:47 PM
My father had a Chesapeake Bay retriever when I was three years old. At the beach, Rusty would let me just get the bottomof my bathing trunks wet, and he would trot over to me, take a hold of the seat of the trunks, and drag me out of the water. He knew I couldn't swim, and he, on his own,
decided I needed protection, and gave it to me, no matter
how indignantly I protested, and tried to strike him.
His only reward was my Mother's grateful amusement, which I
doubt influenced his repeating the maneuver when needed.
I think his behaviour was altruistic, in that he gave up his chance to play in the water, with no expectation of
reward.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 01:54 PM

My grandparents lived for a while in Paducah, KY, and my brothers and I came to visit for a few weeks. They had a collie looking dog named Babes. We were supposed to play in the yard and not go out the fence, but there was a hole in the wooden fence we liked to slide through. When Babes would catch us sneaking out, she'd pinch the crap out of us with her teeth to get us to come back in. Never a pure bite, never draw blood - but a whole bunch of really painful bruises along one whole cheek of a butt.

k

Posted By: wwh Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 02:10 PM
Dear FF: I can remember when collies were smart, before the
AKC ruined them as they have so many breeds, breeding for
looks. You didn't say so, but I think your example is also
a manifestation of altruism on the dog's part.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 03:58 PM
I diagree, Bill. I think that when dogs act "protectively" towards children or adults in their owner's family, they are being instinctively protective towards members of their "pack". Dogs aren't stupid, and they can pick up what is allowed and what is not, what is dangerous and what is not, within the group, at a certain level. They then apply that knowledge without, I think, a great of reasoning when those situations arise.

Elsie, my shepherd bitch, attacked a completely innocent tradesman at my parent's house one day simply because he got between her and my niece, towards whom Elsie was very protective. Fortunately, only his dignity was injured.

Dogs will also put up with things from kids that they would never take from an adult. Elsie loathed anyone tugging on her ears, including me, and we were very close. She'd growl at first, but if you persisted, she'd take your hand in her mouth quite firmly - not a bite, just holding on - and growl again. After that, all bets were off. My niece, on the other hand, when she was a toddler, could sit on Elsie's back and twist her ears like the twistgrips on motorcycle handlebars. The dog's eyes watered and she whimpered, but she didn't try to escape or growl.

The reason I raised that quite serious question about animal altruism in my post above is because cats don't have the same instinctive "involvement" with other cats, never mind humans or dogs, apart from their own kittens. And even that instinct becomes suppressed when the kittens are weaned and reach a certain age. I've seen a cat attack her own, grown, kittens when they got between her and her food. The recognition of kinship ends with kittenhood.

So what would motivate a cat to provide a dog (who appeared poorly) with food? This was a real incident, and I'm glad that Frank was staying with us when it occurred because otherwise I doubt if anyone else would have believed it.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 04:11 PM
That raises the question: Does behaviour detrimental to oneself but beneficial to the pack count as altruism? It's got to be a question of the definition of altruism, but I don't see any reason to exclude it. Call it weak altruism as opposed to Pfranz's cat's strong altruism.

Posted By: wwh Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 05:24 PM
Dear Capfka: I have observed your "pack" phenomenon in the
Border Collies we used to have. It was very clear that the
sheep dogs looked on the sheep as source of future meals.
And the humans as just as partners in the enterprise.
But I see no way in which any "gene" for dogs' saving humans
could have developed. Humans saved pups whose parents showed
desirable traits. It's just luck that desirable traits emerged. I think it is just too tempting to find devious
detours around traditional explanations of behaviour.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 06:49 PM
Genes for this or genes for that is just sociobiological claptrap, in my book, a poor excuse for failing to investigate the real causes of things. No, there are no "genes" for dogs saving humans, but dogs are poor distinguishers between "dog" and "not dog" when it comes to pack behaviour. Although I can't lay my hands on the research any more, there was a beautifully done article on domestic dog behaviour in one of the psych journals I read at college. Dogs, apparently, accept that all "creatures" within their "pack" milieu are members of the pack and will very quickly work out their position in the pecking order and then more or less stick to it. Intelligent dogs (such as border collies) appear to be able to make "decisions" about their "instinctive" behaviours dependent on circumstances. They are also very good at working out what is acceptable (and unacceptable) behaviour in the pack environment. Dogs hate uncertainty in social situations and there is a theory that family dogs which bite family members are just uncertain about their position (or "worth") within the pack. Dunno about that, though.

Cats, however, walk alone.

I don't think that any of this is "devious" explanation. You will surely have observed a lot of the behaviour in your own dogs.

Posted By: wwh Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 08:43 PM
Dear capfka: "devious" was not directed at you, but at some
of the seventh day wonders who get books printed on the subject. If your distaste for "sociobiology" extend to E.O.Wilson, I think you are grievously in error. I'm not
well enough informed to discuss him, beyound saying that I
am impressed by the amount of work he has done. I don't know of any of his critics who are in same league with him.
Only possible exception to that is that I remember is S.J. Gould.

I found a couple sites that credited Auguste Compte with
coinage of "altruism" and "sociology".

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Altruism - 04/05/04 10:41 PM
>>>Talking of altruism only makes sense for beings who can communicate their motives to us, humans.

I don't believe altruism is a virtue that can be attibuted only to those whom we understand. Why would you think so, wsieber? Since we cannot communicate with animals why do there actions become null. They could just as well be altruism as not - so what makes it automatically impossible.

There are many things we understand now, that we did not 1000 years ago. Were they any less true then?

Posted By: nas Re: Altruism - 04/06/04 04:33 AM
Hello. I am new here. I hope i am doing this right.
I just wanted to say:
I don't think one can indulge in art for purely altruistic reasons. Art is self expression and therefore is by definition selfish.
Thank you

Posted By: wsieber Re: Altruism - 04/06/04 12:27 PM
Hi belMarduk,
Since we cannot communicate with animals why do there actions become null. They could just as well be altruism as not - so what makes it automatically impossible. Oh dear, I never even suggested that animals' actions "become null". There are many other positive attributes that can apply to actions, besides altruism. My point is that altruism as a moral criterion hinges on the agent's intentions, and in the case of animals, we have no way of knowing those in advance. If we judged altruism of an action after the fact, we run into problems with human altruistic projects that have ended in disaster.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Altruism - 04/07/04 12:24 AM
Allo Wsieber

But wseiber, how can we misinterpret the intention of that mother bird? It is to protect the babies. Even if, ultimately, she is not successful, I don’t see how that can not be altruism.

Maybe it's our personal interpretations of altruism?

One of the definitions of altruism I found was this...In human and animal behaviour, the tendency to act in ways that benefit other individuals more than oneself, sometimes even where there is a real cost involved to the giver.

And this...a generous willingness to help another person or persons, even when there is no reward or other observable benefit to the helper; often involves some sacrifice on the part of the helper

These are what I believe altruism to be. I’m not quite sure what definition you hold true – as usual on the Board we have varied opinions. Can you let me know?

Posted By: wsieber Re: Altruism - 04/07/04 06:01 AM
how can we misinterpret the intention of that mother bird? As long as the bird can't tell us her intention, I prefer to speak of instictive behavior. There is too high a risk of anthropomorphism otherwise. To me, this has nothing to do with value judgment.
I do not refute either of the definitions you quote. They are beautiful as such. The problems start when you try to apply them to concrete cases. Let's take person A, who donates $1000 to a charity. Person B, who likes A, considers this really altruistic, while C, who has a grudge against A, suspects that A has acted out of guilt from some earlier misdeed... You might object that A could have donated anonymously. But then the question of judging his/her altruism would never arise..

Posted By: maahey Re: Altruism - 04/07/04 06:32 PM
Capfka, Wsieber, et al...
This debate is stemming from a confusion between two celar kinds of altruism - Behavioural altruism and Psychological alrtuism.

The latter is studied to death only in humans; Jackie's question was specifically referring to this kind. She mentioned persons in her question. It is only with humans that you can study the psychology of motives and whether altruism is subjective or not... Is someone 'really, genuinely' selfless or is there a subliminal underlying motive?

With animals, the effort is to study the biololgy of altruism. The behavioural consequences. As in, what is the 'effect' of an altruistic action on an individual and on the herd.

It is because we, in our language, ascribe all sorts of sentiments to words such as altruism, selfishness, selflessness, that we get upset when the poor (much derided in these columns!) biologists, use similar words to explain behaviour. Let us take the case of a mother bird who tries to distract a predator from its young, by attracting attention to herself. All we can see is the behaviour of the bird and the effect. Not the intent. Did the baby birds survive as a result? Are all the birds of her flock indulging in the same behaviour and are the little birds being saved? Nobody is trying to assess the intent of the birds, though tremendous strides have been made in animal cognition studies. If the babies survive, the mother bird has hit upon a successful strategy. It is a successul propagation strategy and will not be flushed down the gene drain.

Evolution is built around survival and not any old survival either. It chooses wilfully, the best, the brightest, the fittest. And that is why the hapless biologist is trying so hard to see, what it is that the brightest has that gives it its favoured status. And invariably, it is a stronger survival strategy.

Altruism in biological terms is helping another at expense to oneself. Practically, if every life form did this, and behaved according to this underlying principle, then everybody will remove themselves from the gene pool, wouldn't they? And so, altruism is not a successful survival strategy and is not favoured by evolution. The biologist is only trying to interpret the continued survival of birds, insects, humans and others as a vote against altruism.

We have to TEACH our children to be good, kind, helpful, polite, etc., don't we? It isn't the other way around.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Altruism - 04/07/04 07:29 PM
I have to agree with you to some extent, Maahey, but the behaviour of a mother bird in trying to distract a predator from her nest can be easily explained as instinct. The motive the sociobiologists would ascribe (and they may be correct for all I know) is that she is ensuring that her genes are passed on to posterity. In other words, protecting the nest and fledglings is part of the drive to survive for you and your offspring to the betterment of the entire species. If you don't try to protect them then you are a "weak link" in the species and you and your line "deserve" to fail. Simplistic Darwinism, perhaps? Dunno.

We know that such behaviour has to be instinctive because it seems virtually impossible that a mother bird could pass such things on to her young conceptually unless the situation occurred often enough for the action to be imprinted on the young birds' brains. In that case, logic tells us that only young birds which came from a nest which had been attacked and defended successfully more than once would be likely to survive to pass their genes on except by the merest happenstance.

None of which has any explanatory power in terms of a cat trying to feed a dead dog.

Posted By: maahey Re: Altruism - 04/08/04 02:26 AM
But..but..Capf, where is the disagreement? It is a survival instinct that is hardwired into the DNA. The biologists ask: WHY do we survive? Not because of altruism, is the conclusion. Altruism is not favoured by evolution; it is at the expense of the self; can be detrimental to self interest and therefore is not selected.

To my mind, none (except for the bees) of the utterly charming anecdotes posted above have anything to do with altruism. It might have to do with emotions and feelings of love, caring, nurturing same as we have. Not survival. The biology of altruism is connected almost exclusively with survival and propagation of the species.

As for the bees that sting honey raiders and in the process die themselves.... one striking aspect of almost all such warrior insects is that they are sterile!! No problems therefore with propagation or having to survive to propagate.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Altruism - 04/08/04 10:44 AM
Not because of altruism, is the conclusion. Altruism is not favoured by evolution; it is at the expense of the self; can be detrimental to self interest and therefore is not selected.

A) I see no reason to assume that altruistic actions cannot be instinctive, so saying that something is instinctive is not, to me, a defeater of the notion that it is altruistic.

2) Altruistic actions can be beneficial to the gene pool. If one's actions contribute to the survival of one's children or even of one's siblings or one's siblings' children they can contribute to the survival of one's genome.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Altruism - 04/08/04 01:04 PM

I think "survival" in evolutionary terms doesn't mean what we think it means in everyday terms. I think "survival" means living long enough and in a manner to pass on your genes. I'm thinking of, say, the sickle cell mutation. This is beneficial to the host to the extent that it will allow the host to live long enough to breed (despite having malaria), although it will eventually kill the host.

Evolution doesn't work to make anyone comfortable or give them the longest possible life. It works to make them have the greatest chance of passing on their genetic material.

I'm not sure whether altruism is a good choice of words to describe, for example, what honey bees do for their queens and for their hives. Despite the intent, it does have the anthropomorpic overtone. But despite that it might make for confusion, the term is in wide use and I don't know that it's worth the effort to fight the tide on this one.

Sometimes, it's not clear what is genetic and what is not genetic - even what it means to have a "genetic predisposition." I saw a TV program some years ago about birds. They all looked alike to me, but they represented different species of "something." Interesting observation. These different species which looked pretty much all alike to my untrained eye (though it's likely the experts could tell the difference), these species all have different songs. They did some very simple experiments to understand whether the songs were genetic or learned. They took some eggs of one species and moved them to another species. What they observed:

1. The birds who were moved did not spontaneously learn the songs from their species - so the song wasn't hereditary.

2. The birds who were moved could not learn the songs of the species they were born into (their adopted species) - so the song wasn't learned.

Well what was it then? It was just a little more complicated. While the song was not completely hereditary or completely learned, it was clear to the researches that both of these played an important role. The birds obviously had a "genetic predisposition" for a particular song, but wouldn't learn that song unless exposed to it.

(I'm vague on this - as I said it was a few years ago that I saw the program - but I seem to recall that not only did the moved birds not learn their own species' song, but they COULD NEVER learn the song if they were later moved to be with their own species.)

Honey bee behavior is almost certainly purely hereditary. This particular bird behavior seems clearly a mix of the two. But human behavior - I think this is what the crux of the argument between sociobiologists and their opponents. I don't think they (the SBs) would assert that our behavior is determined, so much as limited in some way - that people, while malleable, are not perfectly malleable.

An example is the human conception is beauty. Ever since Meade and probably before we have believed that anything goes with respect to beauty, that it's utterly in the eye of the beholder, that it's almost completely determined by culture. But some people believe they have found threads of commonality between these superficially very different conceptions of beauty. Furthermore, they've done tests that "measure" people's subjective reaction to beauty, and discovered that the results aren't completely determined by culture, that our conceptions of beauty is not entirely dependent on culture. Of course this assumes that their methodology is good and their conclusions correct.

I don't know what the bottom line is with these things, let alone how it will turn out. I do think some of the results are suspicious (and I'm really big on results making sense and I'm not going to bend over just because some know-it-all in a lab coat tells me my reality isn't real), but I reiterate that from what I've seen of this kind of work it doesn't seem any more untrustworthy than sociology or psychology. That's not a great recommendation, of course, and I don't mean it to be.

k

Posted By: Capfka Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/08/04 01:59 PM
Ken, this is the argument, precisely. The SBs would argue that despite the experiment, it's all in the genes dontcha know? They reject nurture as being a key to species surival and betterment. Susan Oyama from NYC ws a fellow at Otago when I was there, and she was a Stephen Jay Gould agreer (rather than disciple). She had literally dozens of SB papers in which analysis of the results ran along the lines of if A then B. And, intuitively, therefore, C as well. And the next one would quote the first paper's C conclusion as gospel and they all went on their merry way. We were set a task to find psychology foraging theory papers using the same approach towards proof. I think that between the class of 20 or so of us, we found one that was slightly suspect. It was certainly a good way to get us to read a ridiculous number of monumentally boring papers, that's for sure.

I don't know whether nature overpowers nurture, but I suspect, with no proof, that the higher up the food chain a creature is, the more impact that nurture will have on its personal survival and, by derivation, its potential to contribute to the gene pool. Therefore, you are probably quite right when you say that honey bee behaviour is almost certainly genetically programmed - although you could probably also argue a case that some of the "dance steps" that they use to describe a nectar find are learned from their peers. Dunno, and don't really care all that much! But you could equally argue that if a human tried to survive on instinct alone and what it could discover for itself, it would soon be a very dead human.

I find all animal "altruism" suspect. Even when you see cooperation among animals - witness the cute little meerkat lookout system and the "uncle" and "aunt" childminding services - I'm pretty sure I'm looking at something to which the animals are genetically predisposed. The actual task may be learned from parents and peers, but the drive to do it is "instinctive". The same argument applies to dogs minding children.

Rationalise it how you will, if you have lived with animals (and I suppose we all have), you see a mixture of things instinctive - the reason, for instance, that we can housetrain dogs and cats is that their mothers teach them not to foul their own nests in the wild. All you are doing is defining the nest boundary. But you wouldn't even be able to do that if the animal didn't have the drive to do it anyway - and things learned. But there are limits to what they will easily learn. Try teaching a dog not to dump on the lawn. I know you can't; I've tried with all of my dogs and never, ever succeeded. Why? Well, the animal psychs tell us that it is a matter of what is underfoot (sorry, that's substrate in dog-shrink speak). Dogs seem to prefer grass - ordirt or gravel - over asphalt if they can find it. I know how upset my dogs always are/were when they had to dump or even piddle on the footpath. They'd hunt around for as long as they could hold on to avoid doing that.

My query about the cat feeding the dead dog wasn't intended to be a "cutesy" anecdote. It actually happened, and it has bugged me ever since, because it runs completely counter to what I believe I know about animal behaviour (not that I think I'm an expert). Of course, we have anthromorphised it to some extent - the two animals were firm friends - but cats simply do not do that kind of thing. It shouldn't even occur to them. SO WHY?

Posted By: wow Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/08/04 02:31 PM
Another anecdotal story - When I lived in a condo Betty, a lady who lived two units from me, had a male cat. Betty adopted the cat after the cat had spent time, abandonded, in the wild. She named him Precious. One day a sickly, scared young female cat crawled into Betty's small garden at the front of her unit. Betty tried to entice the female into the house but had to abandon efforts because the female tried, weakly, to run away. She put out milk and a small blanket for the kitty and kept watch on her. Precious meanwhile, caught small animals to feed her. Eventually the wee one gained enough trust to let Betty take her in and get vet care for her. Precious remained protective of her and yowled when Betty tried to take the female to the Vet without his accompanying them.
I am a dog person basically but Precious was one of the great cats I have met.
Who was it who said "Dogs have owners. Cats have staff?"

Posted By: Capfka Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/08/04 04:54 PM
Well, I find this one "hard to swallow", too, although I believe you. Tomcats are not carers in any sense of the word, except when a tab happens to be in season, and then it's mutually-agreed rape.

Red, my red-point Siamese tom, hated kittens with a passion that bordered on the murderous. But he knew I wouldn't tolerate him knocking them about and he was a fairly easy-going cat in most respects, so we came to an arrangement whereby he didn't beat up on the kittens and I didn't beat up on him. I have a treasured photo of him lying on the couch in the lounge, with a bunch of six or seven-week old kittens mobbing him. The look in his eyes in the photo says it all: "Gemme outta here!"

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/09/04 12:43 AM
>>>Rationalise it how you will, if you have lived with animals (and I suppose we all have), you see a mixture of things instinctive

That is so true. Our dog Max is a herder breed, however, he was born to a non-herding mom in the city, and never exposed to cattle in any way. BUT, I cannot take a walk with my Hubby if he decides to take the dog along because the dog will herd us incessantly.

If I fall behind one foot, he'll push me along with his head. If I walk a little ahead, he'll step in front of me to slow me down. If I get more than seven inches away from Hubby, he'll sidle up beside me and walk in an angle while pussing me with his shoulder so I am touching my husband. It's annoying I tell you.

He goes around us in circles, checks out the front, the sides, then the rear...checking for what, I don't know, but he does it.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind so much if I wasn't the one that was being pushed all the time.

Posted By: maahey Re: Altruism - 04/09/04 09:29 PM
A) I see no reason to assume that altruistic actions cannot be instinctive, so saying that something is instinctive is not, to me, a defeater of the notion that it is altruistic.

2) Altruistic actions can be beneficial to the gene pool. If one's actions contribute to the survival of one's children or even of one's siblings or one's siblings' children they can contribute to the survival of one's genome.

Faldage, altruism can be instinctive and contribute to the survival of siblings and their children. This version of it is called, "Reciprocal Altruism". Worker honey bees are a classic case in point. Since they themselves are sterile, by looking after the inhabitants of the hive, they increase the chances of propagating their gene copies (75% true) which they share with siblings.

As for parents protecting their young and thus increasing survival. It is a question of interpretation again. I think I wrote about individual(species)/gene perspectives in the thread on memes. The same thing applies here. It depends on whether you look at it from the point of view of the bird or from that of the bird's gene.

Behaviour: Bird protecting young from predator
Effect: Offspring survive
Bird: Altruism
Bird's Gene: Selfish

Observable altruistic behaviour in an individual, is just selfishness on the part of the gene. Where observable altruistic behaviour is *known to be inherited, as in bird alarm calls, the genes are clearly in charge there and so, it is interpreted as innate selfishness. Where a genetic link is not ascribable to behaviour and the trait seems more cultural, there is a great deal of restraint exercised before theories are floated. In fact, the science of animal behaviour, intelligence and cognition is deeply bogged down by this caution. Morgan's Canon is one such tenet that restricts a scientist from acribing a higher mental ability to an animal's behaviour wherever a simpler explanation can be utilised. Critics (and I veer towards their point of view) view this approach as reductionist.

Posted By: maahey Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/09/04 09:36 PM
Psychological Altruism:
- Is dependant on intent and motive
- The end result is not so important.
- In this variety, Altruism - good; Selfishness - Bad

Behavioural Altruism:
- Is dependant on the end result
- Motives and Intent play NO part.
- No moral connotations are tagged on here.
- Here, Altruism - Individual; Selfish - Gene

Posted By: maahey Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/09/04 10:01 PM
Capfka, that is a poignant tale you tell of Lizzy and Demmy. One way to explain Lizzy's behaviour (you might not agree) is, 'Empathy'. She would certainly have known Demmy was ill, you mentioned they were close, and this was probably how she was trying to help. Empathy need not be at cross purposes with survival and propagation. I use empathy, fully aware that it requires a certain consciousness of self; that it takes a certain awareness to be empathetic and I believe most animals have the capacity. We like to limit their behaviour into clearly defined slots, the better for our understanding. Empathy has been studied and documented in chimps and elephants by those that believe.

....another thought...It seems, we associate, (in humans) altruism with money - acts of charity, almsgiving, the like. Rescue operations, like firefighters trying to save people are considered heroic, not altruistic. The same thing in an animal we would not consider heroic, would we?

Posted By: wwh Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/09/04 11:00 PM
Sometimes bird alarm calls don't work as intended. My father
had friend who recorded a crow when having tailfeathers
pulled. Recording was played near open field where a stuffed
owl was displayed. When crows attracted by recording replay
saw the stuffed owl, they gave special alarm call that brought in many more crows. The attacked the owl so excitedly that many ignored shotgun blasts, making mob attack on the owl. But that was long ago.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/10/04 12:01 AM
Ha, I like that story Bill. A completely unexpected result I'm sure.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/10/04 04:09 AM
Maahey, thanks for at least attempting to come up with some explanation.

Dogs have empathy - it's one of their finest traits and is clearly another outcome of their predisposition to pack living. Empathy under those circumstances seems to be a survival trait in all pack animals. Even hyenas have been shown to have it within the pack environment, otherwise unloveable though they are.

Cats, on the other hand, only exhibit it where they, too, are historically group living and (don't shoot me here!) that would just about be covered off by mentioning lions and cheetahs, although cheetahs are a bit conditional, because they tend to form temporary family groups rather than packs with a wider community.

Cats which are not siblings can "learn" to live together, it's true. We have had cats who got on okay, but the limits tended to be well-defined. Food is one item which has always been outside those limits in my now reasonably extensive experience. Cats will compete for food even where there is plenty for all. What's more, cats who live in a group within a human family are always living in a certain amount of tension. It's rare that cats who weren't brought up together from kittens will choose to sleep together, for instance. There is also no natural approach to social hierarchy among cats, and they will fight - not always physically, of course - to be top cat. Toms don't always win over tabs in this situation, either. Cat group hierarchy is a fluid thing and can change overnight because it's NOT instinctive at any level. Cats usually walk alone, and that difference between them and dogs can pretty much be summed up by Wow's throwaway remark "Dogs have owners; cats have staff".

Cats and dogs can form "alliances" when they live together within a human grouping. I'll never forget our English pointer (Smelly Ella from Portobello) and Red, my siamese red-point tom, chumming up to hunt lizards in the long grass on the next door section. Ella would "point" the lizards. Red would pounce and eat. Since Ella didn't eat lizards and Red didn't need to, I can only guess that it was "play". My chocolate-point siamese queen, Sirikit, would stand on the driveway above the road and yowl at passing dogs - this was sheer bloodymindedness, you understand - but ONLY when Demmy the keeshond was around to object to strange dogs coming into her territory. The cat door was only about ten feet away, too, and Skritters miscalculated from time to time - the cat flap would bang and then there would be a thump as some outraged canine smacked into the door in pursuit! There would be a siamese with an arched back and toilet-brush tail yowling at the world on the inside of the door ...

I guess what this all boils down to is that I would like to agree with your theory about why Lizzy left the rabbit. But I can't!

Posted By: wow Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/10/04 12:48 PM
"hard to swallow", too, although I believe you. Tomcats are not carers in any sense of the word, except when a tab happens to be in season,
-----------------------------------------
It really is true, Cap, and I appreciate your faith in me. Being a responsible pet-owner, Betty did have Precious neutered. And the young female was not in season. Betty still lives nearby. Precious lived to a ripe old age and died in his sleep. Good cat.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/10/04 01:13 PM
Cats usually walk alone.

Cap, I saw a documentary on cats about a year ago that said that, when left to their own devices, female cats live in groups (like lions) and it's the male cats that roam solitary. Aparently, it is to protect the kittens since male cats will kill off any kitten so that they can mate with the female an produce their own offspring.

The female cats protected the kittens whether they were their's or not.

The documentary also mentioned something about cat killing loads of birds and mice in a year. I don't remember the exact figure. What they did is, they went to a village and asked all the cat owners to count all the birds and mice that their cats brought home in a year. I remember that the numbers were staggering. I wish I remembered the exact amount.

What I found the most surprising though was that, apparently, it is only cats that are raised around humans that meow. They also found that the cats had many different sounds to communicate different things to their humans. Whereas in the wild, their vocal range is limited.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/11/04 05:33 PM
Bel, I looked, but I've only found a reference to cats grouping where they had been previously domesticated, and even then the reference implied that it was pretty rare. It appears that true feral cats will not do it at all. This pretty much conclusively shows (but doesn't prove) that nuture, in the form of domestication, somehow rewires cats' brains differently, perhaps to allow them to access instinctive behaviour which is never triggered in truly feral cats.

As for cats "talking", yes, your source is quite right. A study I read (in hard copy) a number of years ago suggested that the only times that a feral female will "talk" is when she is in season and when she has kittens. Or, obviously I guess, when fighting, and screaming is hardly dinnertable conversation is it? Our current moggy, Matilda, tries voices out on us and has us in fits. When she wants food she starts with the "come to me" trilling call that all cats seem to employ under those circumstances. It's the same one that mother cats use to round up their kittens. If that doesn't appear to be working fast enough, she uses a variety of calls in turn, making the call then sitting back with her head cocked to see if it has worked. she doesn't have the vocal repertoire of siamese cats, but she works hard with what she's got!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/12/04 01:07 AM
vocal repertoire of siamese cats

Hmmm, it's funny, I remember the most vocally varied cat I have ever known was a siamese cat. She was also the most mischievious cat I've known.

cats grouping where they had been previously domesticated

Well, I think you may be right there. I recall the whole pack living in a barn. The kittens were hidden in back of some sort of machinery. They weren't chased away because they kept the population of mice down (which segued into the whole bird/mouse, killed amount, part of the documentary.)

Posted By: Capfka Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/12/04 06:06 AM
A lot of farms, and particularly massed animal farms such as poultry or pig farms, keep cats to control the mouse/rat population. While these cats will "group", it's not so strange because they are usually related. Matilda is a farm cat from Kingsthorpe, and she's a stone killer. From where I'm sitting in my office now I can see three, count 'em, mouse carcasses on the lawn which I'm going to have to go and clean up! At Kingsthorpe the cats are not fed unless they are pregnant or are nursing mothers. They have to find their own provisions. Kingsthorpe has thousands of free range hens so they're never short of tucker ...

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/13/04 04:53 PM

I'm not a cat person at all, but we've owned a number of cats over the years (while I was growing up). Cats are providers. My mom's cats (which are sisters) leave a dead mouse or mole at the doorstep several times a week. (Sometimes even a dead groundhog or a nice, fat rat.) They get along okay with the dogs, but they avoid the bigger ones. My mom's chihuahua, however, they will swat on the rump as he passes - not from meanness, but just because he's there. I've a feeling if the big dogs died, the cats would be indifferent. But something tells me if the little bugger died, they would mourn him.

k

Posted By: Bingley Re: Altruism and Nature v. Nurture - 04/14/04 05:35 AM
What may be the oldest traces of domesticated cats:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3611453.stm

Bingley
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: The Cat's Code - 04/14/04 07:03 AM
http://snipurl.com/5p6f-mq4201

Posted By: Capfka Re: The Cat's Code - 04/14/04 10:19 AM
Four? That many? Geez!

Posted By: Faldage Re: The Cat's Code - 04/14/04 10:48 AM
And the important thing is not that they have 100 words for it in its different aspects, but that they don't have any words for it generically.

© Wordsmith.org