Wordsmith.org
Posted By: ERISAguru Is this a word? - 01/17/01 09:11 PM
During the wee hours of the morning, as I kept awakening from my late evening Tex-Mex dinner, gulping glasses of water, the word "thirstifying" popped into my head (and wouldn't leave). It should be a word, since I can't think of any synonym that would use fewer than four words.

ERISAguru
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Is this a word? - 01/17/01 09:24 PM
>...use fewer than four words.

so, you were dying of thirst[3], parched[1], even thirsting[1]?

Posted By: ERISAguru Re: Is this a word? - 01/17/01 09:27 PM
Nope -- wrong definition. "Thirstifying" does not describe the victim, but the agent. My definition would be, "having the quality of making one thirsty." It could be applied to food (salted peanuts, tacos) or to activities (running a marathon), or to certain drugs (antihistimines).

ERISAguru
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Is this a word? - 01/17/01 09:43 PM
Do you mean like "thirstogenesis"?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Is this a word? - 01/17/01 09:44 PM
ah... dipsetic

Posted By: wow Re: Is this a word? - 01/17/01 10:24 PM
Poster: tsuwm
Subject: Re: Is this a word?

ah... dipsetic

My SOED says "dipsas : a mythical serpent whose bite causes a raging thirst."
sonofagun!
wow

Posted By: Solamente, Doug. Re: Is this a word? - 01/23/01 09:11 PM
Um... dehydrating, anyone?
Kind of dull compared to dipsetic, though...

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Is this a word? - 01/23/01 09:40 PM
Thirst-inducing.

I [heart] hyphenated words.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Is this a word? - 01/23/01 10:12 PM
I'll go with thirst-inducing. Dipsetic wouldn't be understood by anyone wasn't a tsuwm addict. Dehydrating doesn't mean quite the right thing; you can be thirsty without being dehydrated. Thirstifying has a mock rustic ring to it that could be taken amiss in some contexts.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Is this a word? - 01/23/01 10:27 PM
yes but.... part of my quixotic campaign is to (re)introduce potentially useful (albeit currently worthless) words. it seems as though dipsetic might have some potential....

besides. enigma suggests Dirac, one of those dry physicists.

Posted By: H. Tracy Hall Re: Is this a word? - 01/23/01 10:45 PM
So this Tex-Mex was dipsetic, and possibly dyspeptic--let's just hope it wasn't septic!

Posted By: H. Tracy Hall Re: Is this a word? - 01/23/01 10:56 PM
Oops, I think I meant "dyspepsia-inducing". Forgive my agent-victim dyslexia; it must have been something I ate.

Posted By: bikermom Re: Is this a word? - 01/24/01 01:51 PM
THIRSTIFYING It's inventive and creative--who cares about protocol. Reminds me of a story in 1965, when Tide advertised Intensified Tide. I have never heard that word since, but my then 4 year old brother loved using it. "Mom, are you using Intensified Tide?" he said almost daily. Or "Is this intensified?"

enthusiast
Posted By: bikermom Re: Is this a word? - 01/24/01 01:55 PM
Dipsetic. You got that right!! That word does sound like septic, so therefore I think Thirstifying is more pleasing to the ears and imagination!!

enthusiast
Posted By: Rapunzel Unreadable - 01/24/01 07:05 PM
A note to bikermom and others: I don't know about everyone else, but I can't read anything written in yellow on this message board unless I highlight it with my cursor...

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Is this a word? - 01/24/01 07:25 PM
i like tsuwm's "dipsetic" best, but i'd also submit "polydipsic" as a reasonably descriptive adjective in lieu of 'thirstifying'.

bridget=)

Ipsa scientia potestas est ~Bacon
Posted By: Faldage Re: It's supposed to be Unreadable - 01/24/01 07:35 PM
It's the ayleurs' secret handshake.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Is this a word? - 01/24/01 08:22 PM
Quixotic? Say not so! Dipsetic is a great word, one that I shall be endeavouring to use whenever possible. Yours,

Sancho Quordlepanza

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: It's supposed to be Unreadable - 01/24/01 08:50 PM
it's the ayleurs secret handshake

Thanks for the headsup, Faldage.
You people have been keeping me busy checking the archives to figure out what words like YART and ayleur mean! I do love inside jokes...

Posted By: Faldage Re: If you really want to be obscure - 01/25/01 02:48 PM
do it all in white. Well that was disappointing. White is more legible that yellow is.