Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wispy Another Neologism: "Renaissanced" - 01/06/01 09:24 PM
I can't say I've "retired" -- the connotations are abhorrent. I haven't withdrawn, I'm more "out there" than ever before. The days I was stuck inside are over (except when I'm online, mesmerized for hours by fascinating sites like this :-); now mornings find me out for a walk or en route to my daily swim. Maybe it's vanity: how can I be that old! Regardless, now I say "I'm renaissanced" instead. Reborn! Renewed! because of the laid-back, fun, life style. My friends seem to like it, too. We're all renaissanced. How about you?

Wispy [a.k.a., Renaissanced]

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Another Neologism: "Renaissanced" - 01/06/01 09:33 PM
hmmm... you obviously don't know how some of us feel about verbing nouns.

p.s. - if you don't like the connotations of being reborn, how about 'renatured' or even 'renated'?
Posted By: Wispy Re: Another Neologism: "Renaissanced" - 01/06/01 10:40 PM
1) It's the connotations of "retired" I don't subscribe to. I love all the connotations of "reborn".
2) I guess you don't like having nouns turned into verbs, eh? Toooo late! :-)

Seriously, when turning nouns into verbs is just a lazy or inacurrate way of writing or speaking, I agree that it's no fair. But saying renaissanced instead of r-r-retired is just one of my defense mechanisms against aging. I've rationalized it as okay. :-)

Posted By: wow Re: Another Neologism: "Renaissanced" - 01/07/01 12:30 AM
my defense mechanisms against aging
Q: Are you retired?
A : No, re-energized
wow

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Another Neologism: "Renaissanced" - 01/07/01 12:59 AM
Wow suggested: my defense mechanisms against aging
Q: Are you retired?
A : No, re-energized

What about:

Q : Are you retired?
A : No, I just stopped working.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Another Neologism: "Renaissanced" - 01/07/01 07:48 AM
I recommend "rejuvenated."

Posted By: Wispy Re: Another Neologism: "Renaissanced" - 01/08/01 06:19 PM
Okay, I'll keep your suggestions in mind when next I have to mention that I'm "withdrawn...".

Posted By: Faldage Re: Another Neologism: "Renaissanced" - 01/08/01 06:29 PM
tsuwm comments: you obviously don't know how some of us feel about verbing nouns

Some of us, on the other hand, are not bothered in the least by verbificatatinization.

Posted By: Wispy Re: Another Neologism: "Renaissanced" - 01/10/01 04:19 PM
I hate to cry "uncle", but what does verbificatatinization mean? I did check two sources without success. I am in awe of the erudition of the wordsmiths whose posts I've had time to read (amazing). However, since there's also a lot of humor in the crowd, could you be having me on: Did you coin "verbificatatinization"? :-) Thanks!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Verbificatatinization - 01/10/01 05:01 PM
Wispy asks : Did you coin "verbificatatinization"?

And I struggle for the proper spelling every time I use it. (Ænigma is of no help whatsoever).

Verbify is the longer form of the verbed noun verb. Verbificate is a longer version of verbify and verbificatatinize (or verbificatatinise for our Commonwealth brethren) is longer yet. Verbificatatinization is the noun that describes the process.

Posted By: maverick Re: Verbificatatinization - 01/10/01 05:24 PM
Verbificatatinization

and verbificatatinisationism...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Verbificatatinisationism - 01/10/01 08:57 PM
I'm definitely a verbificatatinizationismizer.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Verbificatatinisationism - 01/11/01 05:41 AM
as opposed to an antideverbificatationisationismiser.

Bingley
Posted By: jmh Re: Verbificatatinisationism - 01/11/01 11:58 AM
Or even .. welding a few threads

antidisestestablishmentariandeverbificatationisationismiser

on the other hand

maybe not!

© Wordsmith.org