Wordsmith.org
Posted By: johnjohn shoes of the fisherman - 01/05/04 10:39 PM
A recent ABC radio interview with an award winning sub-editor included the question "What is the cleverest (or your favorite) headline you've come across?". The response was a caption to a photograph of the newly-appointed Pope John-Paul shown skiing in Austria: "THE SCHUSS OF THE FISHERMAN".

Whilst the position of Jesus as the "original" fisherman is well-known, where does the phrase "shoes of the fisherman" in relation to the pope originate, apart from the 1967 film of that name? A google search didn't help much. Any ideas?

jj

Posted By: wwh Re: shoes of the fisherman - 01/05/04 10:54 PM
Dear johnjohn: Der Quibblemeister thinks he remembers Christ telling his diciples, several of whom actually were
fishermen, that he would make them "fishers of men". I see if I can find the quotation in the Bible.

Edit: I found this on Internet. Doesn't tell where to find it.
"It is recorded twice in New Testament scripture that Jesus Christ was preaching, "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!" He came upon two fishermen Simon and Andrew, who he called to be his disciples by saying, "Come, follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

Posted By: Bingley Re: shoes of the fisherman - 01/06/04 04:42 AM
Matthew 4:19 http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=MATT+4:18-20&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on
and

Mark 1:17 http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=MARK+1:16-18&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on

Bingley
Posted By: dxb Re: shoes of the fisherman - 01/06/04 09:10 AM
The film was based on a book of the same name by Morris L West. If any one can find a copy, perhaps there may be some more detailed explanation of the 'shoes' reference in the Intro' or dedication?

I imagine it comes from linking the quote "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." with:

To step into another man's shoes. To take the office or position previously held by another.

“ `That will do, sir,' he thundered, `that will do. It is very evident now what would happen if you stepped into my shoes.”- Good Words, 1887.

Posted By: Faldage Re: shoes of the fisherman - 01/06/04 11:11 AM
De(a)r Quibblemeister,

I thought the Fisherman being refered to was Peter.

Posted By: wwh Re: shoes of the fisherman - 01/06/04 02:00 PM
Peter was a rock.

Posted By: maverick Re: shoes of the fisherman - 01/06/04 04:12 PM
Can't you fish from a pierre?

Posted By: Jackie Re: shoes of the fisherman - 01/07/04 02:04 PM
Johnjohn, I wish Father Steve would look in here; I can't help but think he might have some "inside information", so to speak! I did not read the book--not my thing at all. I looked up some summarizations of it: it seems to be primarily about how a pope (Pope?) gets chosen. So I offer the theory that it might be based on the expression about how hard it will be to fill someone's shoes, once the person has gone.

© Wordsmith.org