Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill dinner in the dark - 11/25/03 08:56 PM
A new fad soon to add this phrase to the language?

The world jes' keeps gettin' stranger 'n' stranger...

http://www.dinnerinthedark.com/

Posted By: Zed Re: dinner in the dark - 11/26/03 12:35 AM
I'd love to try it,.............. I think.

Posted By: Jackie Re: dinner in the dark - 11/26/03 01:32 AM
Did you see those pictures?? Good grief, no wonder they don't want people to see what they've been served. I for one would not participate: no tentacles for me, tyvm!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: dinner in the dark - 11/26/03 04:11 AM
And did you see that announcement fora "Chrsitmas Dinner in the Dark" in London? I mean, what's the point? You take a celebratory meal and take all the festiveness out of it? Pretty oxymoronic, if you ask me. Just leave it to those Brits to take something strange and make it even stranger.

Posted By: wow Re: dinner in the dark - 11/26/03 04:00 PM
O, ferheavensake! Back to the Stone Age!
How jaded can you get to have to participate in that nonsense.
Hope those eating with their fingers washed their hands before....... iyew!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic What bother me... - 11/26/03 06:43 PM
is not only the senselessness of it, but also that eating in the dark starting off in an entirely different way. Many associations for the blind around the US host(ed?) such events so that we sighted people can understand what it's like, in some small way.

What also bothers me, to a much lesser extent, of course, is the quote from the BBC: Something everyone should experience as it is a reel eye opener"

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: What bother me... - 11/26/03 09:00 PM
FWIW, it sounds like a neat experience to try...at least once, but.

Albeit the senses do focus more with less distraction, and the taste buds may blossom with grandeur in the dark, I also know, from years of culinary experience (most notably as a gourmet salad chef at a place called Blazing Salads in New York City) that the aesthetic of the arrangement of the food on the plate greatly enhances the culinary experience and adds much to the enjoyment of the meal. There must be *something to this fad as it has already progressed from a singles thing to something marrieds are enjoying togther as well. But it seems to me you're just trading off one sensory enhancement for another here, and that the novelty of the event is probably the current allure.

I'd love to be one of the waiters with night goggles, though!

Posted By: gift horse Hmmm - 11/26/03 11:46 PM
I can just hear it now:
Waiter, is there a fly in my soup?

Personally, I'd prefer to be fed strawberries and whipped cream while blindfolded, but that's just me.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hmmm - 11/27/03 03:43 AM
And please wear your low-cut gowns, ladies, 'cause I'll be sure to be serving over your shoulder!

Posted By: wow Re: dark dinner - 11/27/03 03:05 PM
Many associations for the blind around the US host(ed?) such events so that we sighted people can understand what it's like, in some small way
Thanks AnnaS - hadn't thought of that aspect. Can see where that might be a good reason to dine in the dark.

© Wordsmith.org