Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Chapbook - 11/21/03 01:50 PM
This word has just come into my awareness for the second time. The first time, a good friend explained to me what it is, but my pea-brain didn't put the info. on the keeper shelf. Can somebody please try to get it across to me again? Thanks.

Posted By: wwh Re: Chapbook - 11/21/03 02:26 PM
Well, to start off with, a definition:
CHAPBOOK
Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \Chap"book`\, n. [See {Chap} to cheapen.]
Any small book carried about for sale by chapmen or hawkers.
Hence, any small book; a toy book.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Chapbook - 11/21/03 02:50 PM
well, that's a rather demeaning take; here's a more modern (and neutral) def'n, from AHD4: A small book or pamphlet containing poems, ballads, stories, or religious tracts.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Chapbook - 11/21/03 03:23 PM
Yes, and I believe tsuwm's def. can be extended to mean self-published.

Speaking of self-published, tsuwm, can we have another Washing of the Hogs? May we? Please?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Chapbook - 11/21/03 05:39 PM
AnnaS, I don't think part of the definition of chapbooks should be that they are necessarily self-published. There are many chapbook competitions in which poets hope to be published, not only to get their work out, but also to avoid the expense of self-publication. Any kind of literature is up for grabs for self-publication, including an encyclopedia, if one wanted to do so!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Chapbook - 11/21/03 07:08 PM
Thanks, WW. I sit corrected!

an encyclopedia?! hey, why not, eh?

Posted By: shanks Re: Chapbook - 11/21/03 07:57 PM
Interesting. I've only ever encountered it in the context of religious tracts/catechisms etc.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Chapbook - 12/05/03 06:38 AM
It's been a while since I've read Michael Innes's "Appleby on Ararat", but wasn't Appleby's father-in-law-to-be writing an encyclopedia in weekly parts all by himself?

Edit. Should be "Appleby's End", not "Appleby on Ararat".
Bingley
© Wordsmith.org