Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Bookless learning? - 08/29/03 02:49 PM
A friend wrote to me that an elementary school near him has given up textbooks: at the beginning of the year, they hand each student a laptop and say that all learning will be done via the laptops. What do you all think?

Posted By: wwh Re: Bookless learning? - 08/29/03 03:00 PM
How long would it take a dull pupil to learn how to use a laptop? How many of the bright ones would use it constructively? With one teacher for forty pupils it would be a disaster.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Bookless learning? - 08/29/03 08:41 PM
How long would it take a dull pupil to learn how to use a laptop? My guess would be, not long. All kids seem to have an aptitude for computers and video games, somehow. How many of the bright ones would use it constructively? Guessing again, I'd say probably most--but not all the time. With one teacher for forty pupils it would be a disaster. I don't think elementary classes are normally that big, but yes, I do think you have a point. I hadn't even thought about the fact that it might be difficult to make sure that the kids are all (heh) on the same page; or at least, that it might take extra time to ensure that they are.
My major concern stems from the fact that I learn things better if I can see them again and again. This can be easy to do with books; considerably more difficult with computers. But what I'd really like is some input from teachers...

Posted By: vbq Re: Bookless learning? - 08/30/03 02:36 AM
But what I'd really like is some input from teachers...

Here's what one teacher at Woodley Hills Elementary School in Alexandria, Virginia where every kid in her class got a laptop has to say:

"For Jane Duryea, a sixth-grade science teacher at Mantua, the laptops have already proven their worth.

'I love them,' said Duryea. 'It has been simple to bring the computers into the curriculum. It has really helped the students with graphing and drawing. I have also seen that many of the students are writing more and learning to edit their work much more thoroughly since we started using the laptops."

Maine completed its first year with laptops in school in June. Conclusion:

EDITORIAL: Laptop program needs evidence to show it works
Maine's experiment with laptop computers is drawing to the end of its first year, and anecdotally, it was a great success in many of the state's public middle schools. Anecdotes, unfortunately, won't pay the bill. [June 11, 2003]

For more news about Maine's program, go to:
http://news.mainetoday.com/indepth/laptops/#news

A laptop on every school desk doesn't mean "bookless", of course. Are any of these schools really "bookless"?

If a kid reads a book on a screen, is that the same experience as reading the same book off a shelf? Does the tactile experience of a book add anything?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Bookless learning? - 08/30/03 12:07 PM
Does the tactile experience of a book add anything?

Probably not. But who knows? It's just not the same without the smell of the wood fire in the back of the room.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Bookless learning? - 08/30/03 01:32 PM
Are any of these schools really "bookless"?
Yes, if I understood correctly; and that's my whole point. Though I can certainly see that computers are an aid to learning--even a very powerful aid. I have also seen for myself that kids write more on computers than they had been willing to before; but I confess I'm wondering whether that tendency will continue, once computer use is as common as pen and pencil have been.
Anyway--I'm sticking with my instinct/training that tells me that a lot of people learn best with visual reinforcement. I can envision kids sitting at their desks, thinking, "Now, how is that word spelled, again?", or, "What do I need to do to divide fractions?", etc. And I can't help but think that it's easier/quicker just to have the book open, so that the students can see the help and their work at the same time, instead of having to switch windows all the time. Though I suppose they could have small windows side by side. Which makes me think of a couple of other things: 1.) I wonder if any research has been done on the effects of long-time computer use on kids' vision, and 2.) could a student who is prone to seizures be in one of these classrooms?
I am not against the use of computers/laptops in the classroom, not by any means. But I do have concerns about using no books at all.

Posted By: musick Re: Bookless learning? - 08/30/03 01:33 PM
I have no *issue with electronic media replacing "old ink and paper" (I make a few 'doll-hairs' just turning them on in the morning), but I'll bet y'all the rest of the cablingy I ever make in that capacity that one's sense of timing and continuity within the context of 'the read' is shattered every five minutes by the announcement of "You've Got Mail" (If, of course, you believe that timing and continuity of 'the read' holds any value).

As an undergraduate I could probably buy second hand books or share with friends which made it possible for me to afford school. This requirement, although all well and good in its intention, will drive a steak even further between the have's and have-not's, and is, from what I gather, mainly technology for the sake of technology... I mean... technology for the sake of advertisement... I mean... technology for the sake of economy.

Don't think for a moment that this isn't the same thing as requiring students to buy a TV... (OK you can have a moment, but that's all!)

One good thing: I'm more than happy to see "beta testing" on new wireless technology done with students rather than in *the workplace...
Posted By: Jackie Re: Bookless learning? - 08/30/03 01:39 PM
undergraduate...possible for me to afford school. Indeed. We just sent our daughter off to college, and the information all but said outright that they expected each student to bring his or her own computer. And printer. (Well, they said that to use the university's printers, the charge would be a dollar a page...)

Posted By: wow Re: Bookless learning? - 08/30/03 02:33 PM
can't help but think that it's easier/quicker just to have the book open, so that the students can see the help
My Godson attends Boston University (BU) and even the dorms are wired for DSL! My son has DSL and can have several pages up simultaneously so the situation Jackie mentions may not be an issue.
That said, there is something about books - I think it would be hard to manage a computer while snuggled up in bed - books are easier to adjust.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Bookless learning? - 08/30/03 03:09 PM

If it's really "bookless," I think it's a bad idea UNLESS there is a lot of meticulous planning and training (for teachers) that has taken place first.

Computers are great aids for classrooms and studying. They could conceivably replace books cheaply - but at what cost?

I'm not opposed to giving this a try. If it works, we can try it in some more places. But I would be opposed to trying this on a large scale until it's had some considerable success on the small scale.

I've been to Mantua. This is a very wealthy neighborhood to begin with, and they got a HUGE bit of money because of a lawsuit and they've got all kinds of stuff. Their student laptops - at least the ones I saw - did not appear to be general purpose computers.

k

Posted By: vbq Re: Bookless learning? - 08/30/03 08:01 PM
"What do I need to do to divide fractions?"

Go to Google.

"To use Google's built-in calculator function, simply enter the expression you'd like evaluated in the search box and hit the Enter key or click the Google Search button. The calculator can evaluate mathematical expressions involving basic arithmetic (5+2*2 or 2^20), more complicated math (sine(30 degrees) or e^(i pi)+1), units of measure and conversions (100 miles in kilometers or 160 pounds * 4000 feet in Calories), and physical constants (1 a.u./c or G*mass of earth/radius of earth^2). You can also experiment with other numbering systems, including hexadecimal and binary."

Posted By: E.E.S Re: Bookless learning? - 08/30/03 08:12 PM
I recall my seventh grade teacher telling me and my class that studies have shown that the average fifth grader reads for only 20 minutes during one day, school included.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Bookless learning? - 08/30/03 08:37 PM
my classroom has 24 computers, all desktop models, that take up quite a bit of space. they are used primarily for music composition, giving the student immediate feedback as they compose. they have been upgraded a bit this year, so perhaps I can use them for on-line research for various music projects. my computer in the room, which is new, has programs such as oscilloscopes, and other tools that I use in my teaching.
as for an all-laptop classroom, I was unaware that current textbooks were available in a digital format. if so, I can imagine it would speed up the evaluation and grade-keeping for the teacher many-fold. it is likely that the teacher's computer has software which allows it to "see" each students' "desktop" individually. quizzes and tests would be automatically scored and the gradepoint average figured instantly. it would save a lot of time after school!
I would be very surprised, however, if any teacher would ever completely give up the tactile sensation of a well-made book.
playing the DA, did we have trouble with education when every student got their own textbook? used to be the teacher had the only copy... if there was a book at all...

Posted By: vbq Re: Bookless learning? - 08/30/03 08:45 PM
Wonder what our lady elementary school teachers have to say about this?

"Why boys avoid school reading
Research suggests literary choices not relevant to males", Toronto Star, August 30, 2003

Extract:

"Trevor Gambell of the College of Education at the University of Saskatchewan, says the emphasis on fictional texts and journal writing at the elementary and secondary levels — used in many courses to reinforce literacy skills — is something girls generally take to more readily to than boys. And female teachers only naturally choose texts appealing to them.

Boys' reading, much of which is online, he said, is "considered non-legitimate."

"If the whole purpose of reading is to get children to read better and develop life-long reading, we've got to provide materials and instruction that foster that."

Gambell also said teachers can offer students a variety of ways to complete assignments, some media-based, others written.

"Old practices die hard," added Sanford. "But everybody can be learning similar concepts in different kinds of ways.... When doing projects, some students complete them online, some using visuals, some can (give verbal presentations), sharing different ways of learning. So teachers have to — and are — thinking about different ways of showing knowledge other than writing it down and passing a test."

The concern for boys is not limited to Canada. Around the world, countries are grappling with boys' apparent lack of interest in reading and poor performance on literacy tests. Government studies on boys and reading have been commissioned, as have projects to improve boys' test scores."

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: lady elementary school teachers - 08/30/03 08:53 PM
I can't find where you're quoting from, vbq. But I don't think "we" have any lady elementary school teachers on this board. Nor any of the gentleman variety, far as I know.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: lady elementary school teachers - 08/30/03 09:05 PM
I remember reading that line in somebody's post, but now it's gone?...

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: lady elementary school teachers - 08/30/03 09:06 PM
oh, and I teach 5th through 8th grades. in someplaces 5th and 6th are still elementary grades...

Posted By: musick Hmmm.... - 08/30/03 09:34 PM
... and here, so are 7th and 8th grades.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Hmmm.... - 08/30/03 09:51 PM
well, I guess then, unless Anna's telling me I'm not a gentleman, that we have at least one elementary teacher on board...

Posted By: maverick Re: A gennulman.... - 08/30/03 10:28 PM
I shall call you Watson from now on, eta.

Posted By: vbq Re: lady elementary school teachers - 08/31/03 02:03 PM
I don't think "we" have any lady elementary school teachers on this board

Have we no ladies who fit this definition?

elementary school n.
A school for the first four to eight years of a child's formal education, often including kindergarten.

I had assumed Wordwind is a "lady elementary school teacher". She certainly is a "lady" and she just posted the "African elephant" thread to generate examples for her classroom.

Doesn't sound to me like Wordwind is teaching the correct spelling of animal names to high school students.

Anyway, I asked a Grade 5 teacher [who also happens to be a lady] yesterday if she is aware that boys have poorer literacy skills than girls.

She said that is well known. I asked her "Why?".

She responded immediately saying she thinks it's because boys aren't interested in the stories their female teachers choose for them.

She said they are not interested in the typical fictional fare offered in classrooms. They like to read about real-life things like spiders and lions and skeletons and such. She has two boys herself and knows what they are really interested in at that age.

I was surprised at her response because she was saying exactly what some of the 'experts' quoted in the Toronto Star article were saying, only she was saying it a lot more clearly. [And she hadn't read the Toronto Star article.]

BTW the story appeared in yesterday's Toronto Star (Aug. 30th) at www.TorontoStar.com.

Here is the url. Sorry, I've forgotten how to make it active.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1062195014474&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

You can also find it by entering "Why boys avoid school reading" in Google.

P.S. "We" was not intended as 'the royal we'. I was simply referring to visitors to this forum. I make no claim, nor do I harbor any aspiration, to that high station.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: lady elementary school teachers - 08/31/03 02:09 PM
WW was until recently an elementary music teacher. she's now teaching HS english. so I think she still qualifies!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: lady elementary school teachers - 08/31/03 03:07 PM
Some of Wordwind's high school students are, em, challenged. She has to go with the basics.

Hey, WW, your ears burning?

Oh, and vbq, you make a link active by placing [ url] and [ /url] (omit space) at either end of the URL.
Same as you do when you color posts blue. See FAQs for more info.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: lady elementary school teachers - 08/31/03 07:39 PM
Oh, and vbq, you make a link active by placing [ url] and [ /url] (omit space) at either end of the URL.
Same as you do when you color posts blue. See FAQs for more info.

Or go to http://maxqnz.com/Hints.html, maybe.

Posted By: vbq Re: lady elementary school teachers - 08/31/03 09:14 PM
you make a link active by placing [ url] and [ /url]

Thanks. I'll go back and activ-ate it now.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic old-timer refresher - 08/31/03 10:37 PM
vbq, your next lesson will be on how to use snurl or makeashorterlink to keep the page from going wide.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: old-timer refresher - 08/31/03 10:43 PM
>vbq, your next lesson will be on how to use snurl or makeashorterlink to keep the page from going wide.

Well, since my ego is now totally out of control,
http://www.maxqnz.com/Hints.html mentions this too.

Posted By: musick Re-refresher-er - 09/02/03 02:36 PM
...how to use snurl or makeashorterlink...

Talk about 'technology for the sake of an advertising based economy'..!

© Wordsmith.org