Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belMarduk Maverick S.O.S. - 12/04/00 02:00 AM
Does anyone have Maverick's current e-mail address? I haven't been able to reach him through the e-mail listed in his bio. It has been ten days since he has last been able to get to us and I know if I was in that situation I would be positively depressed about it. I thought I would drop him a note and send him a couple of threads just to keep him in the loop until everythings gets fixed up.

Posted By: Marty Re: Maverick S.O.S. - 12/04/00 02:50 AM
You're a real sweetie, bel. I'm sorry I can't help you, except perhaps to point out that mavericks are not known for their reliability.

Posted By: Avy Re: Maverick S.O.S. - 12/04/00 09:30 AM
I have been wondering too.
Where is he?

Posted By: jmh Re: Maverick S.O.S. - 12/04/00 11:21 AM
I have spoken to the poor soul. Like us other locked out Brits he wasn't able to break through the security (I suspect a Republican/Democrat plot but that's by the by). He managed to log on a few days ago but it was all very slow. I'm not sure if it is any better yet but his job is really busy, getting ready for the "holidays", so he says he daren't get sucked into the black hole which seems to happen to us once we start reading all those posts. I'll make sure he knows that you are all missing him.

Even stranger - where is Jackie?

Posted By: maverick Re: Maverick S.O.S. - 12/04/00 01:35 PM
hi peeps!

It seems to all be working again for me, finally. But as Jo said, it's also coincided with a particularly mad time both at work and on domestic fronts, so I have had to content myself with chuckles via the email streaming of all your posts recently.

And (doubtless an oversight) one or two have even been about language

But I have been missing contact with all of you, so thanks for the note of concern. I now have the small matter of several hundred posts to catch up on...

Posted By: shanks The Sun also rises - 12/04/00 02:03 PM
Huzzah! Mav is back.

Posted By: Father Steve Jackie - 12/05/00 03:16 AM
Jackie's about, but she's taken some sort of ascetic vow of non-posting in order to purify her soul during this most holy season of Advent.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Jackie - 12/05/00 05:02 PM
Father, Father, Father, tsk tsk. It's not nice to, how shall we say, um, invent creatively?

Jackie has been having problems with her server. It seems the connection to AWAD keeps crashing/stalling. I miss her. Who else is going to wallow in the gutter with me? I have to carry the ladies side all by myself . Ah well, noblesse oblige.

Posted By: Father Steve Clarification, please - 12/05/00 08:57 PM
La Belle says: "It's not nice to, how shall we say, um, invent creatively."

One assumes that it is preferable to invent uncreatively?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: Clarification, please - 12/05/00 09:00 PM
In reply to:

Or, perhaps, to create uninventively?

Posted By: emanuela Re: Clarification, please - 12/06/00 06:31 AM

This is a contradiction! To invent IS a creative stuff!
Is there a word for such a self-contradictory espression?
Ciao
Emanuela

Posted By: shanks Oxymoron - 12/06/00 09:34 AM

You might also try malapropism, as in: "You lead and we'll precede you."

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: lukaszd Re: Clarification, please - 12/06/00 11:31 AM

And what about the good old oxymoron ?

Posted By: maverick Re: Clarification, please - 12/06/00 12:39 PM
Are we oxymorons? No, we just disintegrate language creatively

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Clarification, please - 12/06/00 06:56 PM
>we just disintegrate language creatively

in the spirit of postmodernism, I might have said 'we deconstruct language'...

Posted By: Marty Re: Clarification/oxymoron - 12/07/00 03:45 AM
Thought I'd chip in with another observation about thread viewing and replying. I may have misread the situation, but lukaszd's reply re oxymoron coming after shanks' reply to the same effect suggests to me that lukaszd was viewing the thread in flat mode and failed to see that shanks had changed the subject of the message to contain the answer to the question without actually using the word oxymoron in the body of his reply.

I find this happens to me a lot. In my favoured flat mode, my eye skips from one message body to the next. Sometimes days, weeks or months later I'll get quite a surprise to find a number of interesting or witty post subjects that I had missed, even though I read the message at the time. I unearth them when I switch (rarely) to Threaded Mode, or use Search.

So there are lessons for viewers of both persuasions:
1. flatliners beware - you may be missing some of the fun, and
2. all posters - try to repeat the subject, if it's important, within the body for the sake of flatliners.

Thanks,
Marty

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Clarification/oxymoron - 12/07/00 04:16 AM
In reply to:

So there are lessons for viewers of both persuasions:
1. flatliners beware - you may be missing some of the fun, and
2. all posters - try to repeat the subject, if it's important, within the body for the sake of flatliners.

This will give us threadomorons and flatomorons. Personally, I'm a flatomoron and the two terms together (in this instance) equal each other, making me a tautomoron. Sorry, just doodling, really.

Posted By: jmh Re: Clarification/oxymoron - 12/07/00 09:38 AM
repeating the subject

Even that doesn't help sometimes - I've just found an entire subthread in miscellany I missed completely - I'm now alternating between being a flat and a threaded moron!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Jackie - 12/07/00 12:02 PM
Jackie has been having problems with her server. It seems the connection to AWAD keeps crashing/stalling. I miss
her. Who else is going to wallow in the gutter with me? I have to carry the ladies side all by myself . Ah well,
noblesse oblige.

...the rest of us ladies now relegated to chopped liver

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Mav - 12/07/00 12:05 PM
Glad to see you back, Mav!

Posted By: maverick Re: Mav - 12/07/00 02:26 PM
Thanks Anna - glad to be aliver gain. Now who is Jackie's server?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Jackie's server - 12/08/00 01:25 AM
Whoever he is, he sure ain't serving her patê de fois gras.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Jackie's server - 12/08/00 08:35 AM
AnnaStrophic, of uncertain sentence construction, suggested: Whoever he is, he sure ain't serving her patê de fois gras.

In fact, she should be goosing the server in the liver, so to speak.

Posted By: maverick Re: Jackie's server - 12/08/00 08:20 PM
should be goosing the server in the liver

or sousing the lover in the sewer?

Posted By: Jackie Re: Jackie's server - 12/09/00 03:21 AM
should be goosing the server in the liver

or sousing the lover in the sewer?

I am dousing the brewer in the river,
and serving the lover the liver.

Lukas invited us to his New Year's Eve paté.
We shall enjoy witty repatée, then take the paté to the street for another round of Auld Lang Syne. Paté hearté!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Jackie's server - 12/09/00 07:36 AM
Jackie riposted:

I am dousing the brewer in the river,
and serving the lover the liver.

Is there something in the water in Louisville? LSD or ecstacy? Tie that woman down!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Jackie's server - 12/09/00 01:34 PM
Is there something in the water in Louisville? LSD or ecstacy? Tie that woman down!

Ahem--I am not a kangaroo.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Jackie's server - 12/09/00 07:34 PM
Jackie snorted: Ahem--I am not a kangaroo.

Neither are we, dear. They're all either safely 1200 miles to the west of here or where they belong - in zoos!

Posted By: TEd Remington I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/09/00 10:27 PM
During the reign of Queen Victoria, there was a sueen rage for things Australian. This did NOT, of course, rise to the level of Vickie's court. One day an Australian gentleman was present at a masked ball where most of the people were dressed as things Australian. Vickie and her closest friends were dressed, though, as ostriches.

The Australian gentleman complimented the queen on the emu costumes.

Victoria pulled herself up to her fullest height, somewhere less than five feet.

"We are NOT emus."

Posted By: tsuwm Re: I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/10/00 12:12 AM
>a sueen rage

sueen?? even when I put a 't' in front of this I can't make any sense of it -- please gloss.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/10/00 12:23 AM
sueen?? even when I put a 't' in front of this I can't make any sense of it -- please gloss.

I wonder if perhaps "sudden" was intended?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/10/00 04:53 AM
I'm sure you're right, max -- for some reason when I stared at it all I could come up with was 'queenly', and that didn't make any sense!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/10/00 07:33 AM
But you do have to admit, it's the best explanation about Vicky's supposed famous statement you've ever seen, isn't it? Way to go, TEd.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/11/00 12:29 PM
>
But you do have to admit, it's the best explanation about Vicky's supposed famous statement you've ever seen, isn't it? Way to go, TEd.

Yeah, I meant sudden.

TEd FF
(fumble fingers)

Posted By: maverick Re: I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/18/00 01:05 PM
We now have Jackie back from self-imposed exile. Is anyone in touch with fisk or shanks? Apart from missing their highly individual voices, we need ballast against the antipodean fax machine!

Posted By: Jackie Re: I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/18/00 01:25 PM
shanks posted today, if I'm not mistaken. I think he's just busy. I miss Anna, too--I know she's busy.

"the antipodean fax machine!"

Didn't you know, mav? They're trying to turn the Earth upside-down by sheer weight, so that north will be on the bottom!

Posted By: shanks Re: I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/18/00 01:44 PM
Is anyone in touch with fisk or shanks?

Shona probably hibernating (can fish shut down for the winter?)

Me - just finished an assignment with free and swift e-access. So limited to cybercaffs. Frequency and volume limited, therefore. Expect better in the New Year (new millennium to the anally retentive, rectitudinal, costive and constipated parties ).

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/18/00 06:38 PM
Jackie snorted: Didn't you know, mav? They're trying to turn the Earth upside-down by sheer weight, so that north will be on the bottom!

We actually publish maps which/that show the world the right way up.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/18/00 08:05 PM
>We actually publish maps which/that show the world the right way up.

Ya, ya, we all do that CapK. You mean the ones with Canada and Russia on top, no?

{insert shrugging shoulder emoticon here} I don't know why he's braggin', do you know why he's braggin'

Posted By: belMarduk Re: I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/18/00 08:08 PM
F.Y.I. all, Shona has been enslaved by his employer during the Christmas holidays + shopping + decorating + looking after the kiddies. He says he will most likely be back in the beginning of January.

Posted By: maverick Re: I'm not a kangaroo either - 12/19/00 04:34 PM
F.Y.I. all, Shona has been enslaved...

Is there something you need to tell us, oh faithless jezo-bel?

Posted By: TEd Remington The world turned rightside up - 12/19/00 05:50 PM
> We actually publish maps which/that show the world the right way up.

With apologies to General Cornwallis!

I had one of those maps for years -- If I remember arightly it was the McCregor's Universal Corrective Map of the World. A nice Mercator projection with the South Pole at the top where it belongs, with Oz and NZ equidistant from the vertical center of the map. Mine was probably a meter plus wide and a meter high. It disappeared during an office move some years back.

I bought it in Sydney Airport on my way out of the country back in 1986 and it (along with my Akubra hat) was one of my souvenirs of a wonderful trip. The Akubra finally fell apart after almost 15 years of service. The only thing I had done to it to alter it was to replace the hatband with the skin of a rattler I ran over while cycling west of Denver.

Posted By: Father Steve The Center of the World - 12/20/00 07:08 AM
I once bought a map of the world in Korea which showed China in the middle. Given the meaning of the Chinese name for China, that makes sense.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: The Center of the World - 12/20/00 08:32 AM
Given the meaning of the Chinese name for China, that makes sense.

Oh, you're no doubt referring to the muddle dictatorship?

Posted By: Faldage Re: The Center of the World - 12/20/00 08:49 PM
Father Steve freely states: I once bought a map of the world in Korea which showed China in the middle. Given the meaning of the Chinese name for China, that makes sense.

Black Elk, the Lakota holy man, mentioned in his book Black Elk Speaks that a certain place was the center of the World. He expanded on his comment by noting that every place was the center of the World but some places were better at it than others.

Posted By: jmh Re: constipated parties - 12/20/00 10:32 PM
Shanks, you go to the strangest parties!

© Wordsmith.org