Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Levin - 06/28/03 02:03 PM
Having mentioned Mary Renault here the other day, I was suprised to see "The King Must Die" in the bookshop Aksara while I was waiting for Candi earlier today. Not having read it for yonks, I bought it.

Here's a word which may be of interest. It's easy enough to guess from context, but may be new to some members:

"When the levin-light lit heaven, she saw Troizen over the water, and the boat already far away; when it ceased her eyes were dulled with it and she saw nothing."

Levin is a lightning-flash.

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: Levin - 07/01/03 11:18 AM
Well, I've sure never heard of it. Where did it come from? And who's Troizen, please?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Levin - 07/01/03 04:06 PM
>Where did it come from?

unknown; may be a cognate of light. but I can tell you that it's been used mostly poetically; to wit:

1596 Spenser F.Q. v. vi. 40 As when the flashing Levin haps to light Vppon two stubborne oakes. 1647 H. More Song of Soul ii. i. i. xxii, Swift as the levin from the sneezing skie. 1808 Scott Marm. i. xxiii, The Mount, where Israel heard the law, 'Mid thunder-dint, and flashing levin, And shadows, mists, and darkness, given. 1851 Longfellow Gold. Leg. v. At Sea, See! from its summit the lurid levin Flashes downward. 1855 Singleton Virgil I. 348, I would that.. the almighty sire Would hurl me with his leven to the shades. 1880 Swinburne Songs Springtides, Gard. Cymodoce 90 The leaping of the lamping levin afar.

Posted By: wwh Re: Levin - 07/01/03 06:06 PM
Dear Bingley: go to the head of the class.
This is the kind of post I like best.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Levin - 07/01/03 06:21 PM
"The sneezing sky"--I love it! Lightning as a sneeze--wonderful! Thanks ever so, tsuwm. [hug]

Posted By: wwh Re: Levin - 07/01/03 06:59 PM
What a temptation to Volksetymologie: levin = lightning,
leaven = lighten bread.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Levin - 07/01/03 07:04 PM
and my wife always scolds me for leavin' the light on...

Posted By: Bingley Re: Levin - 07/02/03 03:01 AM
In reply to:

And who's Troizen, please?

Troizen is a city.

Bingley

© Wordsmith.org