Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Not to be rude, but. - 06/28/03 01:48 AM
Someone PM'ed me today and used this word: eruditeness. Though it is perfectly correct, it somehow struck me as awkward; dunno why. For a second, I thought it should be erudity, but that's not right! So, I looked it up, and thought you-all might find this interesting, as I did:
er'u·dite'ness n.
WORD HISTORY One might like to be erudite but hesitate to be rude. This preference is supported by the etymological relationship between erudite and rude. Erudite comes from the Latin adjective çrudîtus, “well-instructed, learned,” from the past participle of the verb çrudîre, “to educate, train.” The verb is in turn formed from the prefix ex–, “out, out of,” and the adjective rudis, “untaught, untrained,” the source of our word rude. The English word erudite is first recorded in a work possibly written before 1425 with the senses “instructed, learned.” Erudite meaning “learned” is supposed to have become rare except in sarcastic use during the latter part of the 19th century, but the word now seems to have been restored to favor.

From Atomica (AHD 2000).

Posted By: sjm Re: Not to be rude, but. - 06/28/03 02:01 AM
eruditeness

I prefer erudicity.

Repectfully yours,
H. Dumpty

Posted By: emanuela Re: Not to be rude, but. - 06/28/03 10:01 AM
what about erudition?

Posted By: Bingley or crude either - 06/28/03 10:53 AM
Is it just me, or does Jackie have the etymons for erudite starting with a c with a cedilla? That can't be right.

Bingley
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Not to be rude, but. - 06/28/03 12:15 PM
çrudîtus, “well-instructed, learned,” from the past participle of the verb çrudîre, “to educate, train.”

And herein seems to lie some more oxymoronological etymology:

Whence crude and crud?

Posted By: musick Oh, be nice! - 06/28/03 01:49 PM
I'm with emanuela.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Oh, be nice! - 06/28/03 02:45 PM
erudage, dude...

Posted By: wow Re: Oh, be nice! - 06/28/03 03:18 PM
On a T-shirt - made me laugh -
"Eruditer than thou"

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Oh, be nice! - 06/29/03 10:26 AM
Love the t-shirt slogan, wow.

I would say that erudition is the process of becoming erudite and eruditeness is the quality of being so.

Posted By: Faldage Re: c(cedilla)rudi(circumflex)tés - 06/29/03 10:44 AM
The character that got transmorgrified(C) to a c-cedilla was an e with a macron over it in the original.

Posted By: maverick Re: c(cedilla)rudi(circumflex)tés - 06/29/03 08:19 PM
a macron, obvious now you mention it

Posted By: musick Re: Oh, be nice! - 07/01/03 04:39 PM
Erudition is a 'state of being' as well as a 'process'... it all depends on what you *have to say about it.

Posted By: Jackie Re: c(cedilla)rudi(circumflex)tés - 07/01/03 06:28 PM
Yipes--sorry, people--I didn't even notice! I normally check my own words for typos; I don't check for changes when I do a straight copy--it simply doesn't occur to me. Faldage, you were right--thank you. (And, I wouldn't have known what to call the macron.)

Good explanation, Dubdub--right on the money, in my book.

© Wordsmith.org