Wordsmith.org
Posted By: bonzaialsatian Just curious... - 06/13/03 04:56 PM
This is one of those things that had been annoying me for a while but I never get round to asking:
Just what is a person doing if the Who's Online section shows them as being on mess_handler??

Posted By: Faldage Re: Just curious... - 06/13/03 05:04 PM
What they gonna *be doing is washing their hands is what they gonna *be doing.

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: Just curious... - 06/13/03 05:26 PM
Nrg...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Just curious... - 06/13/03 05:28 PM
I think it's message handling. Looking at or sending PMs

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: Just curious... - 06/13/03 05:33 PM
Oh yeah... it's kinda obvious now you mention it, guess my brain needs re-vamping!
Cheers :)

Posted By: wwh Re: Just curious... - 06/13/03 10:36 PM
Dear BA: did you know that a "vamp" is part of a shoe that covers the instep. What's an instep?From my dictionary, the easiest way to describe it is to say it'ls the part of the foot covered by the tongue of the shoe. I still can't figure out what "re-vamping" originally meant.

Posted By: maahey Re: Just curious... - 06/14/03 02:43 AM
Dear wwh, The verb usage that I am pasting below will clarify the revamping problem. Do also take a look at the origin of vamp2

vamp1 noun
1 the upper front part of a boot or shoe.
2 (in jazz and popular music) a short, simple introductory passage, usually repeated several times until otherwise instructed.
verb
1 [no obj.] repeat a short, simple passage of music: the band was vamping gently behind his busy lead guitar.
2 [with obj.] attach a new upper to (a boot or shoe).n (vamp something up) informal repair or improve something: the production values have been vamped up.

ORIGIN Middle English (denoting the foot of a stocking): shortening of Old French avantpie, from avant ‘before’ + pie ‘foot’. The musical sense of the verb developed from the general sense improvise.

vamp2
(informal)noun: a woman who uses sexual attraction to exploit men.
verb [with obj.] blatantly set out to attract: she had not vamped him like some wicked Jezebel.

ORIGIN early 20th cent.: abbreviation of vampire.

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: Just curious... - 06/14/03 09:36 AM
>vamp2
Oh dear... thanks maahey, I think... though I'd rather reboot my brain any day.

Posted By: wwh Re: Just curious... - 06/14/03 09:52 PM
I can remember having cobbler put on new heels, and once or twice having new sole put on. But I can't imagine shoe being worth spending any money on if top wears out. Never had it happen'
And no female thought I was worth vamping. Maybe just as well.

Posted By: Zed Re: Just curious... - 06/17/03 11:25 PM
Wwh
Sure they did, you were just too pure minded to understand them.

Posted By: consuelo Pardon me - 06/29/03 02:07 AM
Sorry. Didn't mean to choke, but. Dr. Bill and pure minded in the same sentence??? *cough

Posted By: habrotrocha Re: Just curious... - 06/30/03 10:08 AM
When hunting vamps on the world's stage, make good use of vamp traps.

J. Potter
© Wordsmith.org