Wordsmith.org
Posted By: birdfeed These things usually travel in pairs... - 05/21/03 01:07 PM
I noticed long ago that English has some neologisms that come in pairs of Latin and Greek. Their current meaning in English may or may not be the same, but they translate literally as the same. For example:

metathesis=transposition
metamorphosis=transformation
metaphor=transfer

What I'm wondering, while I should be working instead, is what would be the Latin partner for metastasis? I don't mean a Latin-derived word that refers to the migration of cancer cells, as metastasis specifically does. Rather, I'm looking for a Latin-derived English neologism that means change of place. Metathesis doesn't seem to be it. And while we're at it, what is the Greek-derived partner for transubstantiation? If there is one?

Posted By: Bean Re: These things usually travel in pairs... - 05/21/03 02:17 PM
that means change of place

Transportation?

Posted By: Faldage Re: These things usually travel in pairs... - 05/21/03 02:19 PM
Great challenge furd bead, but shouldn't it be in Meta-words?

For metastasis how about transituation? Or do you need extant words? You could look it up in your OED.

Ya know, Ænigma may not be as dumb as we think. She suggests translatability for transituation. I'd tweak it to translation but it might just work.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: These things usually travel in pairs... - 05/21/03 02:29 PM
metastasis was a rhetorical term in Greek; equivalent to the L. retortion.

Posted By: birdfeed Re: These things usually travel in pairs... - 05/21/03 06:09 PM
"Transportation?"

Hmmm... not quite. I'm looking for a calque, a literal translation of metastasis, "trans" + place. And yes, Faldage, I'm looking for words that really exist someplace outside of my febrile imagination. I checked out "translate", and that seems to be just the thing. I refer to AHD4's definition number 4: To transfer from one place or condition to another.

Cool. Another pair for my list.

Posted By: birdfeed well, duh - 05/21/03 06:11 PM
I guess "translocation" would do.

Posted By: Faldage Re: These things usually travel in pairs... - 05/21/03 06:34 PM
Greek-derived partner for transubstantiation

I come up with metahypostasis but it scores a big fat Zero on the googlometer.

Posted By: birdfeed Re: These things usually travel in pairs... - 05/21/03 06:49 PM
"I come up with metahypostasis..."

Yeah, that sounds like a blow for blow match. I thought maybe "metaessence" but OED laughed derisively. I like yours better anyway.

Posted By: birdfeed Re: These things usually travel in pairs... - 05/21/03 07:01 PM
Of course, the phenomenon I'm thinking of doesn't have to be a "meta"-"trans" pairing. There's also "hypothesis" and "supposition", for example.

© Wordsmith.org