Wordsmith.org
Posted By: maverick Weird wide whorled - 11/16/00 03:43 PM
Elsewhere I asked the gentle question:
To what extent, and in what ways, do you think exposure to TV has altered perception and use of language? Does this vary from country to country?

Leading on from there, and taking account of the interesting thread started by tsuwm's wonderful 'reverse opt-out' notice, I have another curiosity I'd be interested to hear views on.

How is the web changing the English (family of) language, and how will it affect the language we use in 20 years' time?

Posted By: jmh Re: Weird wide whorled - 11/16/00 03:49 PM
its certnly affctng the wy w cmmncate I get mls lk ths all the tm frm qut emnnt ppl!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Weird wide whorled - 11/16/00 03:55 PM
>its certnly affctng the wy w cmmncate

ROFLMAO

:-Ž

Posted By: maverick Re: Weird wide whorled - 11/16/00 05:53 PM
ROFLMAO

ZU?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Weird wide whorled - 11/17/00 02:34 AM
Straight to the point wouldn't you say Mav? I think you've got your answers .

A teacher I know has told me the writing skills of the kids in her grade nine classes are extremely affected by compu-speak and that it is getting worse. What makes matters worse is that manufacturers of computer games and products use this compu-speak on their packaging and advertisers splash it all over billboards and ads. Products aimed at children want to look “cool” so they adopt the compu-speak to attract the clientele. If a child is constantly exposed to an approved “grammatically incorrect” word on a constant basis, how is he supposed to know it is incorrect?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Weird wide whorled - 11/17/00 03:56 AM
>zu?

nevermore

Posted By: jmh Re: Weird wide whorled - 11/17/00 07:22 AM
:-/

Posted By: maverick Re: Weird wide whorled - 11/17/00 05:10 PM
extremely affected by compu-speak

... and yet there is surely not one loony on this log who has failed to learn something (even if not the answer to the question asked, Jo {or is that oj} ), which must be the more hopeful side of the equation?

© Wordsmith.org