Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm shoddificated writing? - 05/08/03 09:12 PM
...the prison population is exploding while our schools implode, civil rights are verklempt and vivisepulturated, ...

discounting the political nature of the source (counterpunch) and the oververbing of 'vivisepulture' (burying alive), how can civil rights be 'verklempt'?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: shoddificated writing? - 05/08/03 09:28 PM
well, one might say that civil rights today were sad...?

one might say that...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Where'd you get this from? - 05/08/03 09:37 PM
Don King?

Posted By: wwh Re: shoddificated writing? - 05/08/03 09:40 PM
In sad shape, but incapable of emotion. And the guy who
was using German word ought to get spelling right. No "p" if I remember correctly. Gotta go check that.

Auf Deutsch:"Bin ich verklemmt? Beantworte bitte folgende Fragen: Du bist auf einem geilen Konzert. Wie verhälst du dich? "Vielleicht ein bißchen ... "
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Where'd you get this from? - 05/08/03 09:43 PM
No, no, AnnaS...must be Al Sharpton waxing with literary pretension.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Where'd you get this from? - 05/09/03 04:24 AM
interesting guesses... here is the actual philippic:
warning:: HIGH POLITICAL CONTENT ::warning

http://www.counterpunch.org/tripp05082003.html

Posted By: Capfka Re: Where'd you get this from? - 05/09/03 06:25 AM
Brilliant piece of political digging and very well written, too. Won't be all that many people who frequent a free-thinking forum such as this who disagree with the sentiments either, I would have thought.

Posted By: wsieber Re: shoddificated writing? - 05/09/03 10:38 AM
using German word ought to get spelling right
A short google confirmed my suspicion that the word here is not the German one with mm and a sexual connotation, but actually a yiddish variant with a different meaning:

"A few years ago a couple of women in my office asked me if I knew what the word verklempt meant. I didn’t. They asked because some character on a television show called Saturday Night Live used it all the time. People always think I know the weirdest things. I looked up the word in a German dictionary and they said it was a Yiddish word meaning closed in, as though the pressure of the world was proving too much with which to cope. "

Posted By: musick Uniformity rules - 05/09/03 05:41 PM
... the pressure of the world was proving too much with which to cope

It's a quite accurate description of the *scenario of civil rights in the US, and flows nicely (for me) in the context of his writing style... not to mention the impact using that term.

Ahhhh... the power of words!

© Wordsmith.org