Wordsmith.org
Posted By: slithy toves Grammatically speaking - 05/07/03 02:22 PM
This from a newspaper story: "Quite frankly, there's more I would have liked to have done."

Would this be considered correct? I'd be inclined to say: "...more I would like to have done." Or does it matter? To my mind, the two haves make it sound awkward.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/07/03 02:42 PM
To me, the two haves version seems to indicate that the speaker has gotten over regretting the omissions that the single have version doesn't.

Posted By: Bean Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/07/03 03:01 PM
I agree with Faldage. The first have shifts the time of the regret. I use "would've liked to've" quite often, in speech.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/07/03 03:25 PM
I agree with Bean and Faldage.

At that time [sometime in the past], I would have liked to have done more. But due to circumstances, my hands were tied.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/08/03 08:22 AM
awkward, alas, is not quite the opposite of correct, but I would almost bet the sentence was written by a non-native English-speaker

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/08/03 09:25 AM
written by a non-native English-speaker

nah. I bet this is very common. matter-of-fact, I suspect it's the way I would say it... <runs and hides...>

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/08/03 09:32 AM
I don't find it awkward at all. I find it to be more speciic in terms of pinpointing a time and perception during that time.

Posted By: slithy toves Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/08/03 12:52 PM
Akshually, it was a quote from a court trial, and the speaker was an attorney (solicitor?)--presumably a native English-speaker--representing the defendant. From the context it was clear that he had had regrets in the past and continued to have them at the time he was speaking. I still maintain that the two have's result in ambiguity. Picky? Yeah, probably, but still.....

Posted By: slithy toves Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/08/03 12:53 PM
Akshually, it was a quote from a court trial, and the speaker was an attorney (solicitor?)--presumably a native English-speaker-- representing the defendant. From the context it was clear that he had had regrets in the past and continued to have them at the time he was speaking. I still maintain that the two have's result in ambiguity. Picky? Yeah, probably, but still.....

Posted By: maahey Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/09/03 12:48 AM
Hi Slithy! I had a nagging suspicion that we did discuss something like this in the recent past, and would you believe it, was able to find the link in a jiffy, because of the high recall nature of the title! AnnaS, take a bow! If I remember right, the prior discussion ended somewhat inconclusively...

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=90957

Posted By: musick Woodah liketoov - 05/09/03 05:59 PM
maahey - I like it! You succeded in lengthening the description of YART and AYLEUR in the same post... and provided a link.

running away-e

Posted By: consuelo Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/14/03 05:27 AM
In reply to:

If I remember right, the prior discussion ended somewhat inconclusively...

That'd be 'cause we jus cain't seem to hep ouseves. We jist go off on tangents alla time.
How's my suthren doin', y'all? Gettin any better?

Edit That'd be 'cause we jes cain't seem t'hep ouseves. We jes go off on tangents alla time.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/15/03 02:02 AM
consuelo, I kind of hate to say this, but...it still needs a little work. I'll be glad t'hep y'out, Sugar.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/15/03 02:08 PM
there's more I would have liked to have done.

I've figured out how to fix the problem of two haves. Change the first one to the word it should oughta of been in the first place: there's more I would of liked to have done.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic consuelo's new dialeck - 05/15/03 02:14 PM
it still needs a little work.

I agree, Jackie. Jist might could be better rendered as jes. And there's still the oral exam. Very few Yankees make it though that part, south-of-the-border experience aside.

Posted By: Kupatchka Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/17/03 02:48 PM
What is wrong with "...I would have liked to do"? Think that's the way I learned it.

Posted By: musick Swut I sed - 05/18/03 03:45 AM
:there's more I would of liked to have done. = "Woodah liketoov"!

Posted By: Bingley Re: Grammatically speaking - 05/19/03 02:24 AM
Welcome Kupatchka.

Nothing wrong with 1 would have liked to do, it just meams something else. If the liking was directed at what was then the future, I would have liked to do would indeed be appropriate. If however the liking refers to something which was then in the past then I would have liked to have done would be more appropriate.

For example:
I would have liked to read "War and Peace" but my boyfriend insisted on going to the cinema.
I would have liked to have read "War and Peace" so I could follow the conversation better.

Bingley
© Wordsmith.org