Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Tudor Food Words - 04/15/03 08:34 PM
(boy, am I opening a can of food worms with this one, but I'll give it a try )

I saw a fascinating study of the table fare of Henry VIII's court on the Food Channel the other day called, Eat Like A King. It's running all month and is a wonderfully intriguing, and thorough, examination of the king's table and all that went into it's daily preparation, a worthwhile excursion from an historical, culinary, and linguistic perspective. There were many words describing food and derived from food at that time that I thought worthy of discussion here.

upper crust -- evidently derived from Henry VIII's penchant for favoring a slice from the top crust of a loaf of bread.

carving words -- A master carver was considered an important and delicate artform then, and carvers who were adept were said to be able to use their cutlery like it was another extension of their arm. So much so that each type of meat, fish, and poultry had their own unique techniques for slicing, and there were actually different words according to each specific procedure...i.e. [verbing] a swan. I'll have to search for these on another site and come back with them, though...they did mention a few on the air.

stargazy pie -- a pie made with small whole fish, pilchards or herrings, with their little faces sticking through the crust around the rim so they were looking at you before you ate them.

Maids of Honor -- a unique tart pastry whose secretive recipe is guarded by the family to this day. During his travels, Henry VIII was presented with a feast at some village, and he liked these Maids of Honor so much he had the poor sucker who made them arrested and impressed into his culinary service. They did mention how the tarts earned their name, Maids of Honor, but it evades me.

Tudor England, and most notably Henry VIII's court, was responsible for many drastic changes in the "Western diet", some of the foremost of which was the importation of sugar to use in vast quantities (in lieu of honey) and the imbibing of distilled spirits.

There were no potatoes in Britain until the 18th Century (fish'n'chips a recent tradition, eh?). This also makes me wonder how potatoes became such a crucial part of the Irish diet, and what the folks in Ireland relied on for their main subsistence before the potato.

liquor

Firstly, as was mentioned on another thread, all people drank large quantities of beer and ale, all day long, instead of water at that time because the water was considered unsafe, even the children. It was said there are old jokes about Tudor England being constantly drunk because of this. Henry VIII had a goblet of ale delivered with his breakfast every morning when he arose at 5 am to go hunting.

Distilled liquors, however, were a new import that only the King's Court could afford or obtain.

Royal usquebaugh: This was a special recipe liquor drink made from rare Arabian distilled liquor with the addition of gold leaf to supposedly help the King's health as a tonic, especially the heavy metal.

hypocras -- another Kingly liquor concoction

Two more facinating culinary notes;

The King consumed a large portion of cheese at the end of every meal (a three hour, three course affair beginning at 11 a.m. every day, main meals in the evening didn't become customary till much later) to help with his digestion (as advised by his physicians)...it's a wonder he lived to 57!

The King's chefs experimented with all sorts of decoration and coloring, including child's urine, which gave them a desired green coloring.

Roasting meat over a spit was first done by employing a spit boy to sit by the hot fire for hours, constantly turning the spit of meat. They later did develop a crude rotisserie to do this.

Here's the link to the show site. And there are speciifc links here to the recipes and backgrounds of stargazy pie, Maids of Honor, hypocras, and Royal usquebaugh.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2C832244

This is a food-word thread, but...

Posted By: Jackie Re: Tudor Food Words - 04/16/03 12:58 AM
Stargazy pie--ohmigawd, what a wonderfully whimsical name! I was captivated with delight--until I saw what it actually was! BARF! Speaking of barf: my fun-loving son made us all sick the other night at the buffet. It was bad enough at first, when he brought back these tiny little squid on his plate: purple-and-white, body maybe a quarter of an inch (mabye about a half a centimeter?), with its legs splayed out and curled, somewhat like ribbon. Rather decorative, if it weren't something to be eaten. Then he brought another one--decorating his vanilla ice cream.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Tudor Food Words/carving terms - 04/16/03 04:41 AM
Found the carving terms after some exhaustive searching:

>Dealing differentially with hens and hares and all the other birds and beasts that might appear on lordly tables was a respected social grace in medieval and renaissance Europe, where the art of carving was held in particularly high regard. Carving was not only a gentlemanly skill but also an expression of gentlemanly service. In England, a specialized lexicon applied, and remained current at least until the end of the 17th century. Known as the Terms of Carving, it consisted of verbs, each particular to a certain type of roast. Thus deer were broken, swans lifted, quails winged, pheasant allayed, and rabbits unlaced(7).

--from The Art of Carving (here's the link for the complete story -- now I have to try to find the Terms of Carving for the complete glossary):

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T55931244

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Tudor Food Words/carving terms - 04/16/03 04:52 AM
Found a more extensive list of meat carving terms:

>Carving Terminology

The art of carving has been in decline lately. This is partly because fewer people carve at the table and fewer people eat meat. It is also because the terminology of carving has largely been forgotten. So, for your edification, we present a few proper terms for carving different meats.
Verb.........Meat

break....... deer
rear........ goose
lift........ swan
spoil....... hen
disfigure... peacock
allay....... pheasant
thigh....... pigeon
unjoint..... bittern
chine....... salmon
splatt...... pike
splay....... bream
side........ haddock
culpon...... trout
barbe....... lobster

http://home.tiac.net/~kaleberg/carving/carving.html

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Tudor Food Words/carving terms - 04/16/03 05:10 AM
This should cover most the terms and gives a more colloquial hint o their usage as well:

>Section- Terms for Carving all Sorts of Meat at Table.

The Gentlewoman's Companion: or, A Guide to the Female Sex. Terms for Carving all Sorts of Meat at Table.

Date: 1675

Before we shall treat of the body of Cookery, I think it fit by way of Prologue or Introduction, to acquaint you with those proper terms in Carving, which are used abroad and at home, by the curious students in the art of Carving; take them thus as follows.

In cutting up all manner of small Birds, it is proper to say, Thigh them; as thigh that Woodcock, thigh that Pidgeon; but as to others say, Mince that Plover, Wing that Quail, and Wing that Partridg, Allay that Pheasant, Untach that Curlew, Unjoint that Bittern, Disfigure that Peacock, Display that Crane, Dismember that Hern, Unbrace that Mallard, Frust that Chicken, Spoil that Hen, Saue that Caon, Lift that Swan, Rear that Goose, Tire that Egg. As to the flesh of Beasts, place that Coney, Break that Deer, and Leach that Brawn.

For Fish; Chine that Salmon, String that Lamprey, Splat that Pike, Sauce that Plaice, and Sauce that Tench, Splay that Bream, Side that Haddock, Tusk that Barbel, Culpon that Trout, Transon that Eel, Tranch that Sturgeon, Tame that Crab, Barb that Lobster.<

--from The Chaucer Library, Emory College:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F26516A34

(if anyone can find a link to the text of that original Terms of Carving [Dr. Bill?], I'd be much obliged)

((now I can sleep in peace...next time I'm in a crab house I'll tell somebody to "tame that crab"...and that'll get me flagged, I'm sure! ) And "mince that plover" will get me arrested down here, guaranteed! g'night...))

Posted By: RubyRed Re: Tudor Food Words - 04/16/03 05:15 AM
You know, I can just hear the servants in the kitchen, noses in the air, affecting their best mocking voice of the Royals: "He prefers the Upper Crust of the bread, he does" and then breaking into gales of laughter at their little jibe. Then the next meal someone alludes to the King as the "Upper Crust".......thus a phrase is born!

Posted By: Bingley Re: Tudor Food Words - 04/16/03 02:02 PM
In reply to:

There were no potatoes in Britain until the 18th Century (fish'n'chips a recent tradition, eh?).

From J.E.Austen-Leigh's A Memoir of Jane Austen (his aunt) written in the late 1860s:

The dinners too were more homely, though not less plentiful and savoury; and the bill of fare in one house would not be so like that in another as it is now, for family receipts were held in high estimation. A grandmother of culinary talent could bequeath to her descendant fame for some particular dish, and might influence the family dinner for many generations.

Dos est magna parentium Virtus.

One house would pride itself on its ham, another on its game-pie, and a third on its superior furmity or tansey-pudding. Beer and home-made wines, especially mead, were more largely consumed. Vegetables were less plentiful and less various. Potatoes were used, but not so abundantly as now; and there was an idea that they were to be eaten only with roast meat. They were novelties to a tenant's wife who was entertained at Steventon Parsonage, certainly less than a hundred years ago; and when Mrs Austen advised her to plant them in her own garden, she replied , 'No, no; they are very well for you gentry, but they must be terribly costly to rear.'

Bingley

Posted By: of troy Re: Tudor Food Words - 04/16/03 03:33 PM
potatoes were available, but many europeans were slow to plant them...They became popular in france before they did in US or UK-- at the time of the american revolution, potatoes were still not a common food crop.

they originated in south america, and unlike corn, were not a crop that had wide distribution. Peanuts (a meso american cultivation) rapidly spread in use through out all of spanish america and other spanish colonies..(like corn, they started out with a wider distribution in americas)

many of the spanish colonies were tropical, and both corn and peanuts grow well in tropical countries. Corn was being cultivated over most of north america, but peanuts were introduce to US cultivation from Florida, originally a spanish colony, and spread through out southern US. The shell helped prevent the seed (the peanut) from germinating-- so they were excellent food for long sea voyages, fodder (animal)and were used with corn for the slave trade. (and are still a staple crop in africa)

Potatoes, first cultivated in the high andies, require cooler temperatures, and will mold and rot quickly if they get wet (ei, in a ship's hold)-- so they did not become as wide spread as fast. like tomatoes (an other tropical plant) they are members of the nightshade family, and were often thought to be poisonous.

The inca's of peru had a government/kingdom that stretched from coast to high mountains, and mountain products; llama and alpaka wool and meat, guinne pigs (for meat) and potatoes from the andies were traded with tropical products; peanuts, chilies, chocolate, tomatoes and the like. (corn had already become hybrid, and different varieties were grown in both places.)

There is a great deal of evidence that many cultures in the tropical americas practiced both human sacrafice and ritual canabalism. but canabalism was not as it has been suggested, needed as a sourse of protein. corn + beans are a complete food group, and peanuts, potatoes and chili's make up another so most of meso american could live on a largely vegetarian diet and do well. The coastal area's had more land to grow foods, and could grow a larger variety, the mountain had more domestic animals, and readily available animal protein.
and a central government help facilitate trade between the coast and the mountains.

peanut pods, along with squash blossoms and corn ears were frequent decorative elements in meso, south (and the souther part of norht) america.

potatoes, cabbage and dairy also work, (as a complete diet) and so does potatoes, chilis and dairy--one became the staple diet of the irish poor, the other, the hungarian poor.

Posted By: Zed Re: Carving terms - 04/16/03 06:38 PM
I love them. I've never broken a deer but I've spoiled a few hens and by the time I get the bones out of a fish it does look like something that went splatt.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Carving terms - 04/16/03 07:22 PM
carving terms

The one that strikes me as the most peciuliar is tire an egg or tire that egg (tiring an egg?)? Why is an egg included in carving terms, anyway?...praps after the shell is removed and it's sliced hard-boiled? And maybe there is another lost Middle English connotation for the verb tire?...OED, tsuwm?

the potato

Thanks for that enlightening culinary history of the potato, of troy.

And, Bingley...do you have these literary passages at your fingertips?...amazing.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: tire that egg - 04/16/03 07:34 PM
there are four unique verbish tires (6 nouns), the third of which goes something like this:

1. refl. To put oneself in order to do something; to get ready; also, to get ready to go somewhere; to take one's way, go. Cf. ATTIRE v.1 1, 2; DRESS v. 6, 15. Obs.

2. trans. a. To equip; to fit out with arms, accoutrements, etc.; to arm; = ATTIRE v.1 3a.
b. To attire, clothe duly, dress, adorn; = ATTIRE v.1 3b. Obs.
c. To dress (the hair or head), esp. with a tire or head-dress (TIRE n.1 3); = ATTIRE v.1 3c. arch.

3. To plaster or decorate (a building). Now dial.

4. spec. To prepare or dress (an egg) as food.

Posted By: of troy Re: Carving terms - 04/16/03 08:43 PM
Re:praps after the shell is removed and it's sliced hard-boiled?

well, eggs now days are so cheap and common, we forget they were once a luxury food...

yes, you can slice them (and before those neat egg slicers, it wasn't easy!) or you can cut them in half long wise,(say for deviled eggs), or in half narrow wise, (and then deftly cut a slice of the bottom, so they will stand up like a little gold filled cup..)
when cooked to perfection, (the yolk should be just set, but still custardy) the egg cup can be set on a leaf (edible, of course) and garnished with toasted seseme seeds to make a very elegant first course for a luncheon.

i have also seen whole (hard boiled) eggs (quail, or other small bird eggs) carved to have swirls that start at the top and end at the bottom (similar spirals are sometimes cut in mushrooms caps)

one dish from tudor times involved stuffing a goose with a capon, the capon with duck, the duck with something, all the way down to a wren...
another dish would stuff a chicken with hard boiled eggs.. and carving the stuffing would be an art..

poached eggs are often trimmed to make them prettier and neater...

and different eggs are different sizes.. (already discussed on an other thread kiwi eggs, etc)

and many different eggs were served. i have only eaten chicken, duck and quail...( i passed when offered turtle eggs) but goose eggs, and pidgeon eggs were also common.

come on Juan... you started this thread... presumibly because you realize how food term (and term relating to food preparation have changed)

Posted By: Bingley Re: tire that egg - 04/17/03 01:18 AM
Hence tiring woman. I'd always leapt from tiring woman to attire without realising that that tire could mean the same.

Bingley
Posted By: Capfka Re: tire that egg - 04/17/03 04:43 PM
Anyway, very neatly self-referential, Juan. BTW, 1675 is ever so slightly - like, about 72 years - later than the Tudor period. They'd even finished up the Thirty Years War and had a Civil War of their very own in England by then. Just thought I'd mention it, of course.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: tire that egg - 04/17/03 05:26 PM
Yes, Cap, the Tudor period ended in 1603, but those carving words were coined during that period. Their carrying over a mere 72 years is a drop-in-the-bucket, linguistically. And it was the only decent refernce I could find after extensive searching. If you can produce a more "timely" and comprehensive list of these terms, please do. I'd really like to see it...along with that original Art of Carving text.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Carving - 04/17/03 05:36 PM
Art of Carving

well, now yer talking about downhill skiing...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic OK, who made the thread go wide? - 04/18/03 12:28 PM
I'd like to read through this, but.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: OK, who made the thread go wide? - 04/18/03 02:35 PM
Wide, AnnaS? All the links are short enough or made shorter, and the thread's framed normal size for me? I'll try to shorten the initial link, maybe the Mac screen is expanding to that. Otherwise, I dunno. (edit: made the first two links short, see it that does it).

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Yep, thanks, Juan! - 04/18/03 03:51 PM
I'm not sure which link it was, but whatever you did fixed the not-Mac-but-rather-small-screen-related problem.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Tudor Food Words - 04/19/03 08:10 PM
potato correction

Saw the show again today and I was slightly off about the potato, as Helen pointed out. More specifically, potatoes weren't introduced until the reign of Elizabeth I and then didn't become popular until the 1800s.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Tudor Food Words - 04/21/03 02:52 AM
Unfortunately I don't have a copy to hand, but see Caryl Brahms's novel No Bed for Bacon, where one of the recurring themes is Sir Walter Raleigh's plans for a great banquet to introduce the potato at Elizabeth I's court.

Bingley
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Tudor Food Words/edible gold - 04/21/03 04:43 AM
Thanks for that Sir Walter Raleigh lead, Bingley!...interesting.

One thing that is mystifying me is this idea of edible gold. If you click on the recipe for the liquor drink, Royal usquebaugh, on the site, you'll see that the fine gold leaf (flakes)is still included in the recipe. And, indeed, the gentleman who stirred up and sampled the concoction on air in a modern setting didn't bat an eye about ingesting the gold. And, in fact, he said, "I can't really say I can taste the gold." It was also mentioned that sometimes crushed gems were used in lieu of gold, but I think the system could handle and pass the minerals. However, gold is heavy metal, is it not? And so wouldn't it have the same intensely poisonous effects on the system as, say, lead or mercury? I'm amazed that this doesn't seem to be the case. It was also mentioned that at the last course of the meal called the "banquet" (I also erred in stating there were 3 courses...there were 4...2 main meat courses, the 2nd ususally fish, a third course of puddings and pies and the requisite dose of cheese, and then they retired to another room to imbibe the liquor and sugar sculptures, sugar wafers, the whole noveau sugar ritual)...anyhoo, the banquet was where the Royal usquebaugh was imbibed. (And is usquebaugh a Celtic or Gaelic word or derivative?) Amusingly enough, the King and everyone else thought the extra-lightheadedness was due to the affects of the gold...they didn't know it was that lurking demon in the their imported distilled spirits, the Arabic al-kuhul!

Hypocras was actually a medicinal wine. Usually a sweet red wine laced with many medicinal herbs (see recipe) and allowed to soak overnight, and then strained fresh each day through a tube of cloth with a closed end called a sleeve of Hippocrates, a name this simple strainer bears to this day.

A spit boy was also called a turnspit. And there was a time where they invented an apparatus (much like the hamster's running wheel (only larger), whereby dogs where trained to run in a large wooden wheel to keep the spit turning.

Fresh meat was only for the courtly set (king and nobles), and most other folks ate boiled salted meat, usually pork, salted, of course, to preserve it over the long winter. However, even more usual for the poor was a stew of several legumes, and maybe some vegetables (and sometinmes bacon if they could get it), called pottage. The narrator pointed out that the irony of this, in that the gentrified diet was heavy on meat and very little vegetables [IN FACT: they said the word vegetable hadn't even been invented yet because they were so scarce at meals, except perhaps for the artichoke and some salads...have to research that] was that the poor folk eating pottage were actually eating a much healthier diet! Pottage was frequently served on an edible dish of bread that had a another intriguing name, but I'll have to come back with that one.

The Tudors ate any and all kinds of meat, meat was their passion. One of the historians said, "They'd eat everything from whales (if they could catch them) and porpoises, to the tiniest songbirds. They believed the rarer the meat the healthier it was for you. They'd pretty much eat anything as long as it stood still long enough to be able to catch it." And, because of this, the French and other Europeans were reputedly revolted at the English gentry's menu of Tudor times. On the other hand, the French were known to be extremely jealous of Tudor England's astounding and deft art of spit-roasting meat...no one else could come close to the succulence and flavor of the English, they just had the right "touch" for it. And it was pointed out that, sadly, we really don't roast anything today, we bake it, which doesn't come close to true roasting, with the texturing of the smoke and open fire. So all roast-meat lovers would be well-advised to book their first commercial trip on the first time machine back to Tudor England.

Forks were frowned upon as they were considered vulgar because the Italians invented the fork and the utensil was in use there. (this was just a Medieval "thing", emanuela ) So Tudor England used spoons, knives, and fingers.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Goldwasser - 04/21/03 10:39 AM
Yup, it's got gold flakes in it:

http://allrecipes.iwon.com/encyc/terms/G/6724.asp

Posted By: of troy Re: usquebaugh /edible gold - 04/21/03 12:16 PM
Yes, gold is heavy metal,and yes, eat enough of it, and it has bad side effects. but small amounts, (gold salts!) are used even today as a treatment for arthritis. and some times wedding cakes and aniversary cakes are decorated with gold leaf-- meant to be eaten. (silver (???)draggies? are small silver "balls" used to decorate cakes and cookies,and can commonly be found, some supermarkets carry them.)

and yes usquebaugh is erse. two words.
usque baugh
usque means water

baugh is usually translated as "life" making usquebaugh water(of)life

but i read in some book on gaelic that baugh was related to the word for navel-- it was the idea of "being born" or born again.. of continuing life..
in the expression "erin go brah" brah is a related word, and is usually translated as "forever"
so usquebaugh could be "the water that makes you for get about all time" -- or even "the water that make you act like a newborn"

one of the special places in ireland is mountain (low hill by any reasonable standard!) called "St briget's Navel"

like a charkra, the navel was considered a mark of "life" -- the center core of a being...

but, all of this could be wrong... i don't speak gaelic, or know enough about the word etemology, roots, etc.. and the person writing the book could have been just making up fanciful stories...(the book did include a number of irish folk tales.)

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: usquebaugh /edible gold - 04/21/03 01:19 PM
and yes usquebaugh is erse. two words.
usque baugh
usque means water

baugh is usually translated as "life" making usquebaugh water(of)life

but i read in some book on gaelic that baugh was related to the word for navel-- it was the idea of "being born" or born again.. of continuing life..
in the expression "erin go brah" brah is a related word, and is usually translated as "forever"
so usquebaugh could be "the water that makes you for get about all time" -- or even "the water that make you act like a newborn"

Since they thought the precious metals or crushed gems would enhance and fortify one's health, those translations sound pretty spot on...thanks, of troy.

living history Tudor kitchen

And all you Brits on the board (and NZ ex-pats, ahem) who are interested, now have the oportunity to visit an authentic working Tudor kitchen and sample the food (link supplied by a friend on the board):

http://www.wealddown.co.uk/dawn-of-tudor-cooking-2.htm

Posted By: TEd Remington gold is heavy metal - 04/21/03 02:01 PM
Helen:

I don't think you are gonna get sick eating gold leaf. Metallic gold is insoluble without subjecting it to aquia regia, which is a 70 percent mixture of hydrochloric and sulphuric acids. Your stomach has only a very diluted hydrochloric acid in it.

What's dangerous is the gold salts that result from chemicaly bonding gold to a halide of one form or another. These are soluble and can get into your system.

I did some googling and found a statement to exactly this effect; I also ran across a reference to fulminate of gold, which, like fulminate of mercury, is explosive.

I went to a dinner party many years ago where the dessert was ice cream wrapped in gold foil. I was sitting there figuring out a way to peel the foil off when I realized the other, more sophisticated, guests were chomping away. I am almost certain that it was at this party that I had goldwasser for the first and only time.

There isn't much gold in gold leaf. Really REALLY thin! Gold is very malleable.

TEd

Posted By: wofahulicodoc heavy metal - 04/21/03 02:28 PM
Pure gold is not only quite soft but extremely malleable, too. The thinnest of gold leaf can have been pounded into a layer of no more than 2,000 atoms, I was told in school umpteen years ago. That's _very_ thin indeed!

Posted By: wow Re: Tudor Food Words - 04/21/03 02:44 PM
Potatoes, first cultivated in the high andies, require cooler temperatures, and will mold and rot quickly if they get wet (ei, in a ship's hold)-- so they did not become as wide spread as fast.
Historically, the first recorded plantings of potato in USA was in New Hampshire. Maine and NH, especially Maine, still have bumper potato crops.

like tomatoes ... they are members of the nightshade family, and were often thought to be poisonous.

I recall reading that people first ate the green potato-tops which will make you very sick... instead of the root-vegetable potato. Well, look at a potato. The greens really do look more appetizing than the brown knobby root!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: potatoes and tomatoes - 04/21/03 03:26 PM
potato greens...like tomatoes ...

Yup, wow...tomato greens are pretty toxic to the system, too, as the plants belong to the deadly nightshade family (as do potatoes). So it seems ancient wanderer/gatherers sampled the greens first, and concluded that tomatoes and potatoes were just as "poisonous" as their respective foliage. A tradition that held-up until recent history (meaning the past 500-1,000 years), it seems. Both potatoes and tomatoes first being cultivated and eaten in the New World, of course. I wonder when the first record (or archaeological evidence) of potatoes and tommatoes being eaten in South and central America appears?...have to check on that.

© Wordsmith.org