Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm play ball! (with a crossthread) - 04/03/03 02:57 PM
somebody tell the weather gods..

Varitek homered off one of the catwalks that support the roof at Tropicana Field, giving Boston a 7-3 lead in the fifth.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: play ball! (with a crossthread) - 04/03/03 03:03 PM
Varitek homered off one of the catwalks? Does that mean Varitek hit a ball that rebounded off one of the catwalks to land him a homerun? Is homerun one word?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Weather gods, schmeather gods - 04/03/03 03:05 PM
one of the catwalks that support...

I am gratified, crossthreads aside, that he got his verb agreement correct.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: play ball! (with a crossthread) - 04/03/03 05:06 PM
Yeahbut®, it's mighty tough hitting a pitch when you're batting from one of the catwalks over the outfield stands...a remarkable feat! Must be why they call Varitek "Stretch"!

(and speaking of the Red Sox, in honor of the NY Yankees 100th Anniversary Celebration ESPN's SportsClassic Channel has been running tapes of classsic Yankee games all week. Last night I happened to catch that legendary '78 one-game playoff between the Yankees and Red Sox where that fabled home run was hit by Bunky Dent...still just as delectable...just in case wow and Flatlander are lurking)

Posted By: Capfka Re: play ball! (with a crossthread) - 04/03/03 07:48 PM
Yeah, but all this white shit gives me a pain. Can you just add it in as part of the post even if you don't think that everyone will be interested? If you use white everyone has to highlight it just to see if they're interested or not. I think that defeats the ultimate purpose of using white, myself.

Not that I'm advocating any steekin' roolz or nuffink.

- Pfranz
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: play ball! (with a crossthread) - 04/03/03 08:16 PM
We've always used white for asides or off-color or special interest, Cap, ever since the beginning...why the tradition-change request all of a sudden?

And, besides, I didn't want mav to show up screamin', "Sports Thread! Sports Thread!"

And, yeah, that highlighting is sure one strenuous click and sweep...I got carpal tunnel in me index finger from it, meself.

roolz is fer roolerz...and sometimes for "quotation marks"...hi tsuwm!

"{white} 'Sides, you can read the white without highlighting it if ya really want to...{/white}" (left unwhite on purpose)

And, sides, that's part of the joke...white is a whisper.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: play ball! (with a crossthread) - 04/03/03 08:17 PM
>but all this white shit gives me a pain.

[sucking-up-to-Pfranz Alert]

agreed. using "alerts" might be more helpful..

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: play ball! (with a crossthread) - 04/03/03 09:16 PM
"alert" (breaking-your-own-rool-to-lobby-for-another e):

Faldo Roolz! (couldn't've said it better meself):

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=32787

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: play ball! (with a crossthread) - 04/03/03 09:39 PM
>but all this white shit gives me a pain.

And thank you, AnnaS, for this hallowed pointer from the Halls of AWAD! (note that date)

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=34003&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post34003

So, where have you guys been all this time, since this is hurting your eyes all of a sudden-like?

Posted By: Faldage Dear Pfranz - 04/03/03 10:03 PM
Poor bebe

Posted By: Faldage In Pfranz's defence - 04/03/03 10:12 PM
Dunno if he's an Opera user, but Opera 6.05 and lower highlights with negative color of the text highlighted on a black background. I don't know about y'all but for me, black on a black bacground is even harder to read than white on a gray background.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: In Pfranz's defence - 04/04/03 03:01 AM
and then there's those long links that make the page go all widey-like...

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: In Pfranz's defence - 04/04/03 03:24 AM
And all this blue shit gives me a headache. I'd much prefer bold green or bold purple .

Posted By: consuelo Re: In Pfranz's defence - 04/04/03 03:28 AM
What's wrong with blue? It's very soothing. It's yellow that makes my eyes wiggle.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: In Pfranz's defence - 04/04/03 03:33 AM
I know what else makes your eyes wiggle!

Posted By: consuelo Re: In my own defence - 04/04/03 03:37 AM

I'm just speaking in tongues, I guess.

Posted By: of troy Re: In Pfranz's defence - 04/04/03 03:43 AM
well, Juan, dear,i tend to use blue-- out of pure laziness... redseems to shout, and green and purple each have 5 letters...red would be logical first choice color, but, blue is softer, and less strident.... yellowand whitehave there uses...

i don't care what color you use...

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: In mutual defence - 04/04/03 03:53 AM
I don't care what color you use, either, of troy...I love you.

Posted By: Capfka Re: In Defence of Pfranz's Offence: - 04/04/03 10:06 AM
I agree with tsuwm. If you preface what you are about to write with [Alert - dah, dah, dah] I can schoose not to read it.

Or use another colour, by all means, but don't use white - which isn't a colour at all, of course. But it needs to be readable without further effort.

I use IE, not Opera or Netscape, and I have no plans to try some other browser which will inevitably either have as many problems or fewer useful features. Or both, of course. A lot of people think I'm crazy. And I quite often get hammered for not using Pegasus Mail, which was developed by a colleague of mine at Otago University. It's like water off a duck's back these days.

- Pfranz
Posted By: Bean Re: In Defence of Pfranz's Offence: - 04/04/03 11:24 AM
fewer useful features

Explorer doesn't have tabs. Opera and Netscape both have tabs. That, in itself, is a great reason to switch. If you don't know what "tabs" are, you haven't lived. They're the greatest thing since sliced bread. Also, Opera appears to be faster, but it's hard to tell since speed is affected by so many other, non-browser related things.

Posted By: Jackie Re: In Defence of Pfranz's Offence: - 04/04/03 04:32 PM
I see I'm not the only one feeling churlish, today...

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: In Defense of Pfranz's Offense - 04/04/03 07:16 PM
In defense of spelling defense and offense with an "s".
["ALERT!": WHITE FONT!]
Yeah, it's a yart, but so what!?

Posted By: Zed Re: all this white shit gives me a pain - 04/05/03 03:08 AM
OOOh, I should think so! Have you considered seeing a proctologist. [sympathy]

© Wordsmith.org