Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm yet another weekend wwftd - 03/08/03 06:18 PM
this weekend's wwftd is: dump

3. A mournful or plaintive melody or song; also, by extension, a tune in general; sometimes app. used for a kind of dance. Obs.

a1553 UDALL Royster D. II. i. (Arb.) 32 Then twang with our sonets, and twang with our dumps, And heyhough from our heart, as heauie as lead lumpes. a1586 SIDNEY Sonn. in Arb. Garner II. 180 Some good old dumpe, that Chaucers mistresse knew. 1591 SHAKES. Two Gent. III. ii. 85 To their Instruments Tune a deploring dumpe. 1610 HOLLAND Camden's Brit. I. 421 The funerall Song or Dump of a most ancient British Bard. 1706 ADDISON Rosamond I. iv, What heart of stone Can hear her moan, And not in dumps so doleful join? a1852 MOORE Vision ii. 33 Like..an Irish Dump (‘the words by Moore’) At an amateur concert screamed in score

After your dire lamenting elegies,
Visit by night your lady's chamber window
With some sweet concert; to their instruments
Tune a merry dump; the night's dead silence
Will become such sweet complaining grivance.
[unknown]

Posted By: Wordwind Re: yet another weekend wwftd - 03/08/03 06:34 PM
Gives an entirely new meaning to being dumped--and to dump truck--and taking something to the dump--or being down in the dumps...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: yet another weekend wwftd - 03/08/03 07:05 PM
A mournful or plaintive melody or song <> down in the dumps

Posted By: Wordwind Re: yet another weekend wwftd - 03/08/03 07:11 PM
Yes, it's nice to think one would be down in the dumps with appropriate musical accompaniment. I noticed the "merry dumps" in what you pasted...or was it "merrie dumpes"? Oh, well; that's neither here nor there.

Posted By: wwh Re: yet another weekend wwftd - 03/08/03 08:56 PM
And some weird rock groups promote taking of a dump. Pass the bumf, please.

Posted By: Jackie Re: yet another weekend wwftd - 03/09/03 09:39 PM
Yep, down in the dumps: And not in dumps so doleful join? Thanks, tsuwm; I never knew that.

© Wordsmith.org