Wordsmith.org
Posted By: vika 10 items - 02/07/03 12:04 PM
from todays AWAD letter:

"The sorts of people who feel that special blend of
wincing despair and sneering superiority when they see EXPRESS LANE - 10 ITEMS OR LESS..."

well, I think you are this special people so can you explain why do you feel despair seeing the sign? what's wrong with "10 or less"?

Posted By: Bean Re: 10 items - 02/07/03 12:11 PM
The grammar gurus would tell you that "less" is reserved for things you can't enumerate, like "sugar" or "sand" or "wind", and you should use "fewer" if you can reasonably count the things you're talking about. Since a number is given expressly (10), it really should be "10 items or fewer" but most people don't worry too much about that distinction. I get the feeling that by "popular vote" this particular rule will eventually fade away.

Edit: Should I have used "less" or "fewer" quotation marks in the above post?
Posted By: Faldage Re: 10 items - 02/07/03 01:38 PM
The grammar gurus

I doubt that any of these grammar gurus can tell you why we would need two words for comparison of countable (fewer) and measurable (less) quantities if the one being spoken of is of a smaller value than the other but manage to scrape by quite well with only one if the one is of a greater value (more).

Posted By: Bean Re: 10 items - 02/07/03 01:57 PM
manage to scrape by quite well with only one if the one is of a greater value (more).

Yes, after I posted that, I pondered that problem, too. But I'd already self-replied once today so I thought I'd let it go.

Posted By: slithy toves Re: 10 items - 02/07/03 02:07 PM
It's one of those distinctions I just have to shrug off. Ten items or less doesn't bother me, but I'd have a problem with "The guy in front of me has less items than I do." But still, more is always more.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: 10 items - 02/07/03 05:10 PM
But still, more is always more.

... unless you're Mies van der Rohe.

Posted By: slithy toves Re: 10 items - 02/07/03 07:27 PM
Touché, already.

Posted By: slithy toves Re: 10 items - 02/07/03 07:28 PM
Touché already.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: 10 items - 02/07/03 07:29 PM
Somebody hadda say it, slithy.

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: 10 items - 02/09/03 05:05 AM
...only one if the one is of a greater value (more).

Surely there's manyer than that.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: 10 items - 02/10/03 10:00 PM
It's one of those distinctions I just have to shrug off.

I dunno....It still bugs me. But then, I'm keen on precision in language and grammar (though I will confess to being a bit of a baddie when it comes to splitting infinitives). "Due to" when people mean "owing to" or "because of" drives me absolutely bananas!

Posted By: Faldage Re: 10 items - 02/10/03 10:41 PM
Due to/owing to

Due, owing, what's the difference?

Posted By: wwh Re: 10 items - 02/10/03 11:21 PM
Dear MG: my dictionary says:
due to
1 caused by; resulting from !an omission due to oversight"
2 [Colloq.] because of: widely so used despite objections by some grammarians !the name was omitted due to oversight"

Posted By: Faldage Re: 10 items - 02/11/03 12:25 AM
OK, what's the difference between caused by and because of?

And note: I did not ask above what the difference was between due to and owing to, I asked what the difference was between due and owing.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: due/owing - 02/11/03 02:16 AM
I think this speaks to the point, Faldage..

Due to has been widely used for many years as a compound preposition like owing to, but some critics have insisted that due should be used only as an adjective. According to this view, it is incorrect to say The concert was canceled due to the rain but acceptable to say The cancellation of the concert was due to the rain, where due continues to function as an adjective modifying cancellation. This seems a fine point, however, and since due to is widely used and understood, there seems little reason to avoid using it as a preposition. [emPHAsis mine]

The American Heritage® Book of English Usage. Copyright © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company

Posted By: tsuwm Re: 10 items - 02/11/03 02:22 AM
and while I'm there..

The traditional rule says that you should use fewer for things that can be counted (fewer than four players) but less with mass terms for things of measurable extent (less paper, less than a gallon of paint). But people use less in certain constructions where fewer would occur if the rule were being followed. You can use less than before a plural noun that denotes a measure of time, amount, or distance: less than three weeks, less than $400, less than 50 miles. You can sometimes use less with plural nouns in the expressions no less than and or less. Thus you can say No less than 30 of his colleagues signed the letter and Give your reasons in 25 words or less.

The American Heritage® Book of English Usage. Copyright © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company
Posted By: Rubrick Re: 10 items - 02/11/03 10:54 AM
what's wrong with "10 or less"?

Nothing. Apart from the obvious grammatical error it's just an abbrevaition of "10 items or less than 10 items". But that's just stupid.

Now, what's wrong with "Special today!"?????

Posted By: Faldage Re: 10 items - 02/11/03 11:38 AM
You can use less than before a plural noun that denotes a measure of time, amount, or distance: less than three weeks, less than $400, less than 50 miles.

Well, duh! Even though it appears to be counting, it is, in fact, measuring and less is the "proper" word to use in those circumstances. You could hardly expect one to say, "Buffalo is expecting one inch or fewer of snow today."

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: 10 items - 02/11/03 11:53 AM
> What's wrong with "10 or less"?

Doesn't touch me at all (since the medication).

>Special today? ...
I had a special yesterday, but will tomorrow turn out special too?

Speaking of signs, The Wall Street Institute has a sign up here that reads:
'Learn English Free!'
..but from who, huh.. [g]

Just 'member: DRIVE SLOW!
Posted By: modestgoddess Re: due/owing - 02/11/03 06:43 PM
Urgh.

Harking back to due to/owing to:

I would say, "The concert was due to start at 8 pm, but owing to one performer's illness, it began late."

I wouldn't say, "The concert was due to start at 8 pm, but due to one performer's illness, it began late."

I would say, "The Weather Network claims a snowstorm is due to begin this evening." (if I wanted to phrase it that way - in reality I'd probably say, "The Weather Network says we'll have a snowstorm tonight.")

I would NOT say, "Due to climactic conditions, we're supposed to get a snowstorm this evening."

"Due" is an indication of something forthcoming; not an indicator of reason.

It's like "light years" - another usage that is often mangled these days. Light years measure distance, not time. You cannot ACCURATELY say, even in jest, "He's light years older than I am." You CAN say, "Your modification of this plan is light years from my original idea."

And it's not, "He's older than me." It's, "He's older than I [am]."

ron pedantic [/rant]

Posted By: vika Re: due/owing - 02/12/03 03:00 PM
thanks, everybody. very enlightening, keep going

Posted By: Rubrick Speaking of 10... - 02/12/03 04:43 PM
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Speaking of 10... - 02/12/03 05:54 PM
No, no, Rube. There's *three kinds of people; those that count and those that don't count.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc At the risk of YARTing... - 02/12/03 09:29 PM
There are ten types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Yes, but. We write a one and a zero in binary, which looks like 10, but it's still "two," meaning successor-of-one, no matter what base we use. Binary writes "1, 10, 11, 100," but those numerals still mean "one, two, three, four".

Posted By: tsuwm Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/12/03 09:35 PM
wofa, sure and it should have been written There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

-ron o.

Posted By: Jackie Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/13/03 03:23 AM
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
NOW I get it! :-)

Posted By: Rubrick Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/13/03 08:50 AM
Damn. I shouldn't have tried to write it so fast. I've edited it above to make more sense.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/13/03 10:32 AM
no, now you've edited it and made it more confusing!

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/13/03 11:17 AM
In reply to:

I would NOT say, "Due to climactic conditions, we're supposed to get a snowstorm this evening."

I hope you wouldn't, although it would be interesting to see (or experience) a climax that altered the weather.

Posted By: Jackie Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/13/03 01:43 PM
it would be interesting to see (or experience) a climax that altered the weather.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/13/03 01:55 PM
aw, we all've had a few that made the earth move...

Posted By: Jackie Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/13/03 02:42 PM
AUGH! Stop it, stop it, stop it, you two!

Posted By: Rubrick Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/13/03 03:35 PM
I hope you wouldn't, although it would be interesting to see (or experience) a climax that altered the weather.

Gives a whole new meaning to a wet and warm front.

Posted By: Jackie Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/13/03 04:06 PM
Ohmigawd--I am dying, you-all! Geez! Don't you dare mention this if I do get to meet you face-to-face!

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/13/03 06:25 PM
ROTFL

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/13/03 06:29 PM
Due to anticlimactic conditions, a cold front is moving in.

Posted By: Jackie Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/14/03 01:01 AM
Are you callin' me frigid, Bub?!?

Posted By: consuelo Re: At the risk of YARTing... - 02/14/03 10:50 AM
Ahhhhh! For a minute there, I thought Jackie was reverting to her old gutter police action. I guess we corrupted her better than we thought C'mon back to the gutter, luv. It's warmer here. <EG>

Posted By: wofahulicodoc I'll see your ten and raise you two - 02/15/03 06:43 PM
But seriously, folks. There is some hope after all. I just saw in my local Stop-and-Shop that the sign reads "Express Lane - 12 items or fewer"

Posted By: musick I'll see your 12 and raise you 6 more - 02/15/03 08:06 PM
Following binary *style sequences 12 would actually® *be "6" in... would it be called "trinary"?
(e.g. 000=1, 001=2, 002=3, 010=4, 011=5, 012=6, 020=7, 022=8, 100=9, 101...)

Posted By: Faldage Re: I'll see your 12 and raise you 6 more - 02/15/03 10:55 PM
000=1, 001=2, 002=3, 010=4, 011=5, 012=6, 020=7, 022=8, 100=9, 101...

Don't care much for your starting point there, moose. How about:
000=0, 001=1, 002=2, 010=3, 011=4, 012=5, 020=6, 021=7, 022=8, 100...

Trinary sounds good, though.

Posted By: musick Ours still go to eleven - 02/16/03 05:22 PM
Yeah... it's just us moosicians. We st(y)art counting from juan.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Ours still go to eleven - 02/16/03 05:25 PM
you did pretty good to get past four!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Ours still go to eleven - 02/16/03 07:25 PM
get past four

Nemmine the hiccup at 020, 022. Ifn you're gone start at 1 start at 001.

Posted By: modestgoddess oops - 02/16/03 09:52 PM

Like Rubric, sometimes I write too fast....And I am my own worst editor.

sighhhhh

Posted By: wofahulicodoc unitary, binary, ternary - 02/17/03 02:23 PM
As far as I know the word for base-three numbers is "ternary." It can also refer to mixtures/solutions of three substances which, like metal alloys, can have different properties from the individual components.

For the number-system usage see, for example, http://ips.ifmo.ru/en/course1/chapter1/lesson1/.

http://kosmoi.com/Science/Mathematics/Number/ also looks like a place to do some nice browsing, in other fields too.

© Wordsmith.org