Wordsmith.org
Posted By: TEd Remington Has anyone noticed? - 12/08/02 01:32 AM
The software here edits your input. I have always put two spaces after the period at the end of a sentence. I never noticed it before, and I don't know why I noticed it today, but the software for this BB reduces that two spaces to one space. In fact, if you put in a bunch of spaces, which I just did after the previous sentence, it reduced them to one.

TEd

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Has anyone noticed? - 12/08/02 01:51 AM
Yes, I've noticed that, especially when writing on the poetry threads. I tried to put in spaces that the software wouldn't accept, and then someone sent me to the FAQ page where I learned a way around it--but I've forgotten it since it's been a while since I tried it.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Has anyone noticed? - 12/08/02 04:50 AM
>I learned a way around it...

it's called preformatting, and it's one of the markup features that's allowed here and described in the FAQ.
             it makes use of the pre and /pre tags,

but as you see it also messes with the font.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Has anyone noticed? - 12/08/02 06:21 AM
HTML parsing removes extra space unless you mark it up as a literal. Obviously, on the Board our posts are not treated as literals (i.e. quoted text strings). This is because we (can) use markup within the text of our posts. If you type & nbsp (without the space between the "&" and the "nbsp") you can add spaces           until the cows come home!

Try it.     You'll like it.     If you like more than one space between sentences, anyway!

- Pfranz
Posted By: Wordwind Re: Got Milk? - 12/08/02 09:45 AM
CK:

That's you second mentioning of cows in one week. A pattern is beginning to evolve...    ...

Your code works, but you can't add very many spaces--I can only get three! Teach us some more codes, not that we'd be cowed by your skills or anything, but it would be fun to milk your capabilities.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Got Milk? - 12/08/02 11:25 AM
moo.

http://www.december.com/html/spec/codes.html

I'm not sure that all of these work on the board, one would have to try, and I'm two tired for that this morning.
we also covered this a bit with the whole þ thread. (that's the thorn if it doesn't work...)

œ it seems to be working!
¾ fractions!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Got Milk? - 12/08/02 12:04 PM
...html/spec/codes.html

If you have a decent machine you can use all of these codes with the ALT sequence ALT-nnnn, where nnnn = the numeric code for the character with whatever leading zeroes are necessary to make it come out to four characters. You have to use the numbers on the keypad, not those on the top row.

Now, I allus thought that you needed a semicolon to close off the ampersand-nbsp sequence Pfranz suggested. Lemme try   three spaces and    four spaces. Hey, mebbe you can string them together and only need the semicolon to close off the string         nine spaces. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Got Milk? - 12/08/02 06:26 PM
Err ... I was trying to answer one question, not teach HTML. There are only a limited number of HTML-type codes you can add. It ignores anything in angle brackets, e.g. <font color=blue> </font> You can add spaces                      (= 20 spaces) as much as you like, really. As the ithacal one has said, if you want more than three (thought it was two, but) you will have to end the sequence with a semi-colon.

- Pfranz
Posted By: wwh Re: Has anyone noticed? - 12/08/02 06:45 PM
I am totally ignorant of HTML. My problem with AWADtalk software is having editing of unwanted
word wrap of long lines in quoted text countermanded, so the unwanted word wrap is preserved.
Is there an easy way to escape this?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Got Milk? - 12/08/02 07:33 PM
You can add strings that look like markup but don't have the effect by using 91 and 93 for the square brackets, i.e., [blue] then a bunch of stuff that would turn blue if it could [/blue] but doesn't because it really isn't markup.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Got Milk? - 12/08/02 10:49 PM
Tried that, but it didn't seem to take. Giz an example, oh faldacious one ...

- Pfranz
Posted By: Faldage Re: Got Milk? - 12/08/02 10:53 PM
[blue]Giz an example[/blue]

Umm...

[blue] then a bunch of stuff that would turn blue if it could [/blue]?

That'd be

&#91blue&#93blue&#91/blue&#93;

Posted By: Capfka Re: Got Milk? - 12/08/02 11:02 PM
No, no, I got that. I thought you'd come up with a workaround for including HTML markup code in posts so that it fooled the AWAD software's parser into thinking it wasn't HTML.

Pity. Markup could make things, um, lively.

- Pfranz
Posted By: Faldage Re: Got Milk? - 12/08/02 11:11 PM
Oh...

Ya mean like <i>italic</i>

Posted By: Faldage Re: Got Milk? - 12/08/02 11:12 PM
Oh...

Ya mean like <i>italic</i>

It don't fool nobody.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Got Milk? - 12/09/02 08:32 PM
Perzactly.

- Pfranz
Posted By: Faldage Re: Got HTML? - 12/09/02 08:41 PM