Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jimthedog Hmmmm... not sure what to call it - 12/07/02 01:23 PM
Most of us, I hear, have accidently called Capital Kiwi Captain Kiwi, and there is a fellow on another I thought was named Harvard, until I noticed there was one r in it. Any idea of what this is called? Or other examples?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hmmmm... not sure what to call it - 12/07/02 01:43 PM
Dunno jim...but I remember reading an article once how folks named Armstrong and Montgomery continually have their names written and spoken as the other...perhaps this is the same, or similar, process?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Hmmmm... not sure what to call it - 12/07/02 01:43 PM
mistake?

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Hmmmm... not sure what to call it - 12/07/02 01:53 PM
Whit: Do you remember where you read that? I could look up the place it's in.

etaoin: Of course! I'm sure there's a technical term for this circumstance.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Hmmmm... not sure what to call it - 12/07/02 02:27 PM
hehe.
are you thinking something specifically with names, or a general thing when we read what we think we should see?

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Hmmmm... not sure what to call it - 12/07/02 02:29 PM
The latter, although I experience it more with names.

Posted By: musick With all due respect? - 12/07/02 03:05 PM
Rest assured that when we call 'im Captain Kiwi there's an "arrrrrrgh, matey" soon to follow.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hmmmm... not sure what to call it - 12/07/02 03:24 PM
Whit: Do you remember where you read that? I could look up the place it's in.

jim, I'm thinkin' the Montgomery/Armstrong article may have been in Smithsonian about 8 years ago or so. I searched awhile, hoping to turn something up online, but no hits yet. I'll keep looking.

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Hmmmm... not sure what to call it - 12/07/02 04:37 PM
I wonder if my grandfather was getting Smithsonian then. I'll look tonight.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: With all due respect? - 12/07/02 04:53 PM
Rest assured that when we call 'im Captain Kiwi there's an "arrrrrrgh, matey" soon to follow.

Surely, you remember the infamous Captain Kiwi! The most plunderin' cutthroat scalawag to ever sail the Seven Seas! I hear tell he made even Blackbeard and Henry Morgan cower in his presence! And the stone idols of Easter Island quiver!!!

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 01:27 AM
He made the Easter Island statues quiver? Hell, what would they want a quiver for? They didn't have bows or arrows, so far as I know.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 04:52 AM
>They didn't have bows or arrows, so far as I know.

or any arms at all, for that matter.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 06:26 AM
Who dis Capital/Captain Kiwi anyway, wunner boy? Some pillock from down sarf?

- Pfranz
Posted By: Capfka Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 06:32 AM
You just leave Captain Kywy alone! He done be a very close frennamine!

- Pfranz
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 06:34 AM
Friend, schmiend. You ain't GOT no friends, wonderboy! Go take a hike!

Posted By: Capfka Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 06:36 AM
Who are you calling names, friend? You just keep your goddamn opinions to your ownself!

- Pfranz
Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 06:39 AM
Damn, this is all too schizoid. I yield the field to the newbie. I'm outta here! I can't take it any more! I'm s-o-o-o-o-o depressed! Bye, friends! You'll miss me, and it's all Jimthedog's fault. He encouraged this! Never mind that Juan character. Bollocks to all of you! *sniff*

Posted By: Capfka Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 06:42 AM
Good. That got rid of that idiot, and good riddance! Imagine implying that "p" doesn't always come before "f" in normal words! CapK is an insufferable prick and the cyberworld is much better off without him. Congratulate me, all of you, on my signal and capital (kiwi) victory!

- Pfranz
Posted By: Wordwind Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 10:17 AM
The above conversation was a bit of surreality to wake up to.

Juan: Blackbeard didn't cower to anyone--ever, never. Even when going down, he took at least seven shots before succumbing and was drinking straight rum the whole time. And he had bits of burning hemp tied into his beard to make himself look like a devil--or to get high. I'm not sure which.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 11:16 AM
err, what just happened?

Posted By: Faldage Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 12:21 PM
Capital Kiwi? Journeyman?

Title                   journeyman 

Total Posts 3059

Shades of Rookie of the Year Satchel Paige!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 01:35 PM
Juan: Blackbeard didn't cower to anyone

Why would the Easter Island statues want a quiver for? They didn't have bows and arrows.

Hey, hey, hey, guys! We're trying to build a legend here...the Saga of the Notorious Captain Kiwi. Think Paul Bunyan. Hyberbole is good! Why, even Long John Silver himself offered to share his treasure when cornered by the seething Captain Kiwi with a pistol and a dagger in his teeth! "Look, here's me map," sez he. "If ya spare me, Kiwi, I'll put'cha on to half of me chests, I will. And what's more, yer can have yer pick of me men to help ya dig, an' then ya can just kill 'em all after ya finds it! An' ya can even cut the throat of me filthy parrot, here, so he never tells no one of this here deal!"
"#&!* you!", sez his parrot.
But, as we now all know, the ferocious Captain Kiwi grabbed the treasure map, slit Long John's throat, ate the parrot live, and ordered Silver's men to lead him to the treasure. Now, if anyone of 'em 'cept for Long John really knew the 'xact whereabouts of the booty, and actually led Captain Kiwi to all that glorious plunder, is hard to say. But yer can bet if they did, they didn't live to tell about it. And yer wonders why the "good" Captain bolts from the board as soon as he's found out, do ya?! Ha!
"Capital", indeed!

Posted By: bonzaialsatian Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 03:56 PM
ate the parrot live
And what network was this on??

Posted By: TEd Remington or any arms at all, for that matter. - 12/08/02 04:25 PM
That could certainly lead to venus envy.

Bet (Venus de) Milum wishes HE'D said that.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: With all due respect? - 12/08/02 04:40 PM
And what network was this on??

The Pirate Channel.

(Venus de) Milum
Ah well, he's quite 'armless then.

ah.

Posted By: milum Re: or any arms at all, for that matter. - 12/08/02 05:59 PM
That could certainly lead to venus envy.
Bet (Venus de) Milum wishes HE'D said that. ~TEd

Wrong envy. ~ milum

(Venus de) Milum.
Ah well, he's quite 'armless then. ~ bonzaialsatian

No man with the wrong envy is ever 'armless. ~ milum

Ah. ~ etaoin

Ah. ~ milum.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Yoicks! - 12/08/02 06:14 PM
Have I been demoted? Just checking.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Yoicks! - 12/08/02 06:16 PM
Yup, it appears so. I was swapping back and forth between Capfka and Capital Kiwi and somewhere along the line ...

Ah well, me wrists will love it, I'm sure!

Posted By: bonzaialsatian I'm lost - 12/08/02 06:48 PM
Huh? Whowhathowwhenwhywhere?!
Do I really need to know?

Posted By: sjm Re: Yoicks! - 12/08/02 09:22 PM
Maybe the mysterious Ata stole some of your mojo, Pfranz.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Yoicks! - 12/08/02 09:38 PM
Have I been demoted? Just checking.

I was swapping back and forth between Capfka and Capital Kiwi and somewhere along the line ...

Well, Capfka, it's just the price of your very own Metamorphosis, of course!

Posted By: Capfka Re: Yoicks! - 12/08/02 10:42 PM
Well, as ex-PFC Wintergreen would have said, someone has to do it. Over time I can earn back my lost (and totally meaningless) nominal ranking. But do I want to? That's a good question, I'm glad you didn't ask.

- Pfranz
Posted By: Bingley Re: Hmmmm... not sure what to call it - 12/11/02 06:19 AM
In reply to:

I remember reading an article once how folks named Armstrong and Montgomery continually have their names written and spoken as the other

People called Armstrong keep getting called Montgomery and people called Montgomery keep getting called Armstrong? Or "the other" is used as a term of address to people called Armstrong or Montgomery? Either way, it all seems most improbable.

Bingley

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: I'm lost - 12/11/02 12:58 PM
Huh? Whowhathowwhenwhywhere?!

We could also ask: hwæt?®

© Wordsmith.org