Wordsmith.org
Posted By: milum The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 04:45 PM
Hello good people, please note that this is my six hundred and sixty-fifth post on this fine board and, as follows, the next one will be
my six hundred and sixty-sixth.

Yes,____________ 666 the mark of the beast_____________

At first I thought...what the heck its just a silly superstition I'll just let it pass without any great to do. But then I thought...
wait a minute what if my innocent post somehow bestows ill fortune on the fellow Awader who was the object of my 666 post. It would be unthinkable to live knowing that my flippantcy had caused such ruin.

Maybe...I then thought...I could address this cursed post to no one and get pass this damnable number without bringing down great tragedy and destruction on a single poster, but No!...A post to no one would be a post to everyone and the results might be a calamity of untold breadth.

So I sit here now in a quandary. I must somehow get pass this post and go on with my life. I don't want to mark any of my friends here with any mark of any so-called beast.

But time for me now passes slowly and my hands grow itchy.
Maybe this is not such a good time, boys and girls, to cross the milum.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 05:02 PM
Milo honey, I invite you to post to me. Goddesses, however modest, fear not the Beast. And we can't have you NOT POSTING! So do your worst...or as they say of the debate over male full frontal nudity in movies: Get it out, get it up and get it over with.

Posted By: Jackie Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 05:04 PM
Sweet milum, why don't you do Ted's trick, and make a blank post? Or--we could all stand on our heads to read whatever your next one is; that would make it your 999th. Here, use this as your subject title: Stand on Your Head to Read This--Beware!.

Posted By: Faldage Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 05:08 PM
Or you could subscribe, at least temporarily, to the notion that 666 was somehow a misreading and that the nasssty nummmber is 616.

Posted By: of troy Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 05:30 PM
any one here know some hebrew?
numbers in hebrew, like roman numerals are letters, I, V, X, L, C, D, M...
so in hebrew, words could read l'chiam, represened by 2 hebrew characters, means as a word, "to life" but the same characters in hebrew also mean 18--

i have wondered why 666, and what word(s) do the numbers mean (if any)?

i can't think of any english words that can be formed out of meanful roman numerial (MIMI isn't a proper number,nor is LID,) but i don't know latin.. are there latin words that are also numbers?

Posted By: Faldage Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 05:50 PM
DCLXVI

Domitianus Caesar Legatos Xti Violenter Interfecit, or "The Emperor Domitian violently killed the envoys of Christ"

per Robert Graves

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 05:56 PM

I've always heard it meant NERO CAESAR, as per http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/666.htm

MIX?

k

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 06:06 PM
milum:

Heaven forfend that you curse anyone on this board thusly. Were I in your position I would abandon my milum persona, create a new one, mulim perhaps, and enjoy another 665 posts before again confronting this apparently insoluble dilemma.

Or you could take to heart the teachings of the late what-the-heck-was-his name, science fiction writer, who wrote The Number of the Beat. Heinlein!!

Heinlein maintained that the number of the beast was not 666, but instead 6 to the sixth power, with that number in turn raised to the sixth power. That's 10314424798490535546171949056 posts.

HELL! Not even Dr Bill is likely to reach that number!

TEd

Posted By: jimthedog Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 07:42 PM
Once, on another board I frequent, someone posted their 13th post in a thread, making 666 total posts in the thread.

Posted By: Faldage Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 07:44 PM
13th post in a thread, making 666 total posts

Did they break a black cat?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 08:07 PM
Far be it from me to rise to the bait, Milum, but many of us here managed to pass that mark without precipitating the Apocalypse. Of course, you could be Tim LeHaye in real life, for all I know.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 08:14 PM
>many of us here managed to pass that mark without precipitating the Apocalypse.

there *was one near-miss..

Posted By: jimthedog Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 08:22 PM
Did they break a black cat?

My black cat is fine. I don't know about yours. Superstitious people are bad luck, you know.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/04/02 08:26 PM
there *was one near-miss..

Yikes!® Food for thought...

Posted By: milum Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/05/02 03:44 AM
Dear Bin Laden,

Hi!

Milo.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/05/02 11:41 AM
667...neighbor of the beast

Posted By: Wordwind Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/05/02 12:25 PM
Wonder how ol' Bin Laden's horoscope reads for today?

If the beating of a single butterfly's wings makes a difference, wonder what effects milum's post will make in Bin's direction? Maybe a stubbed toe or somethin'...

Posted By: Osama Bin Laden Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/05/02 02:35 PM
Dear Milo,

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!

Osama.

Posted By: Jackie Flea-ing - 11/05/02 05:40 PM
Well, that was good for a laugh, but I would be obliged if you would not post under that name again. Thank you.

Posted By: Maurice Re: Flea-ing - 11/06/02 12:33 PM
Osama Bing Crosby has given up crooning and taken up a new West Coast sound in the newly reformed trio of Crosby, Stills and Nash although the new single "Pestilence On Your House" hasn't gone down too well with David or is it Geoff or is it Gordon "If Only I Could Remember My Name" Crosby.

Full of wit.

Posted By: Faldage Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/06/02 03:15 PM
Dear Bin Laden

So lemme get this straight, Mr. Minderbinder. You're stumping for Osama Bin Laden to rule the world for seven years?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Mr. Minderbinder - 11/06/02 04:26 PM
Long time since I encountered Mr. Minderbinder, but wasn't there something like chocolate-covered cottonballs--or somefin' like that in the tale?

Curiously coincidental that Mr. Minderbinder ran a warehouse...

Posted By: Maurice Re: The Mark of the Beast - 11/06/02 04:33 PM
Osama how do you get your beard so trim? I tried to grow one back in the 1970s and ended up looking like a geography teacher.

Any thoughts?

Posted By: TEd Remington looking like a geography teacher. - 11/06/02 04:43 PM
Reminds me of the story of the English lady who hired a chauffeur, a man who came very highly recommended as an excellent driver and mechanic.

Several weeks after he was hired, the lady became disenchanted with the chauffeur's grooming habits, particularly his often sporting a three or five day stubble. Thinking to gently induce better habits, she asked him one day as they motored through the countryside, "James. how often would you say it is necessary to shave?"

James glanced in the rearview mirror, pondered the question for several hundred yards, and replied, "Well, ma'am, with a growth like yours I would say once a week would be sufficient."

© Wordsmith.org