Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth pre-thought? - 11/04/02 02:28 PM
I heard 'Star Wars: Episode 1' described by one of the film's actresses the other day as a pre-sequel! Oxymoron or just plain moron? Well, I did of course see her point.
So, would you have simply called it a prequel? Or would anyone like to suggest a more apt name for a prequel to a film's narrative that is released after the sequel? Perhaps 'se-prequel' would have been exacter [sic]

Posted By: Bean Re: pre-thought? - 11/04/02 02:38 PM
I've only heard it referred to as a prequel. Pre-sequel is new. It does kind of make sense, though - set in a time prior to the movies that were released earlier...

Posted By: wwh Re: pre-thought? - 11/04/02 02:44 PM
From the Internet. See the last line:
"Latest news on Star Wars is that Star Wars: A New Hope has broken all
movie records.This film is the biggest selling film ever gaining 400 million
dollars in the Box Office.The trilogy has been remastered with new sound
quality and film quality,and director George Lucas has added new film
which was previously unreleased to the public. Click the thumbnails to see
the pics of some of the new footage. This just in, Trainspotting star Ewan
McGregor has just signed up to portray the young Ben Kenobi
(Obi-wan).The presequel is expected to come out in 1999. "

Posted By: dxb Re: pre-thought? - 11/04/02 02:44 PM
Or released presequentially? That doesn't seem right somehow.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: pre-thought? - 11/05/02 05:54 PM
> Or released presequentially?

[scratching head]...well they were released sequentially (4,5,6,1,2,..) but not in sequence with the story's chronology....sooo....

useless@observations.com
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: pre-thought? - 11/18/02 01:42 AM
The first movie released is the original. A movie released later which continues the story is a sequel. A movie released later which pre-dates the original story has been given the term prequel. Pre-sequel is redundant. It implies that either:
a) a sequel could contain a story set prior to that of the original, which it probably could until prequel was coined; or
2) a prequel could be released before the original, which is patently nonsense as this would make it the original, the original a sequel, and whoever supported the notion, an idiot.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: pre-thought? - 11/18/02 02:31 AM
So what do you call a movie that takes place after the original and before the sequel?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: pre-thought? - 11/18/02 02:48 AM
An Isaac Asimov production?

Posted By: sjm Re: pre-thought? - 11/18/02 03:19 AM
>An Isaac Asimov production?

A scurrilous remark utterly without Foundation.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: pre-thought? - 11/18/02 03:38 AM
But a prequel is actually a sequel in disguise. So prequel is, in actuality, inaccurate. A cheap cop-out, even.

So perhaps a sequel that explores exposition to the orignal film could be called a paleosequel.

pale-; paleo-; palae-; palaeo-: involving or dealing with ancient forms or conditions

Yes...I think I like paleosequel.

Posted By: Faldage Re: pre-thought? - 11/18/02 11:00 AM
a movie that takes place after the original and before the sequel

This question has meaning only if you assume that a story can be a sequel or a prequel all by its lonesome. This is, to my mind, an unwarranted assumption. A story can only be a sequel or prequel in relation to another story. Thus, the story in the middle is a sequel to the earlier story and a prequel to the later.

I'm glad to see you are taking a Heinlein on this.

ah, we so seldon resort to puns around here. it might get a bit hari if we did.

In reply to:

But a prequel is actually a sequel in disguise. So prequel is, in actuality, inaccurate. A cheap cop-out, even.

So perhaps a sequel that explores exposition to the orignal film could be called a paleosequel.

pale-; paleo-; palae-; palaeo-: involving or dealing with ancient forms or conditions

Wellt did happen a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

asimov outta you, Alex!

Actually, I rented Star Wars II: The Clone Wars this weekend and found it pretty weak. It didn't have much chemistry between the major actors and actresses, unlike the original film with Mark Hamil, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher (Fischer?). If wasn't for the original film (and its original sequel The Empire Strikes Back) I doubt anyone would find this film very interesting as a whole. Natalie Portman was very interesting indeed but the inner gutter policeman forbids further comment.

>Actually, I rented Star Wars II: The Clone Wars this weekend and found it pretty weak.

The entire Star Wars prequel trilogy, along with "Titanic", is in my personal list of "things I won't watch unless someone with a very large gun makes me." So far, Allah be praised, no one has.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: pre-thought? - 11/19/02 06:09 PM
Me: a movie that takes place after the original and before the sequel
Faldie: This question has meaning only if you assume that a story can be a sequel or a prequel all by its lonesome.

How so? The sequel I'm referring to would be a sequel to the original, not the movie I'm wondering about. The new movie would then be the third released, but the second chronologically. Nothing standing alone here.

Posted By: Faldage Re: pre-thought? - 11/19/02 06:51 PM
The new movie would then be the third released, but the second chronologically

I interpreted your question to be looking for one word to refer to the movie in question. It doesn't have one word to describe it. It is a sequel to the first movie in chronological order (which, in the case of the Star Wars movies, was the fourth by production order) and a prequel to the first by production order or third (or, eventually, fourth) in chronological order of story line. Thus Attack of the Clones is a sequel to The Phantom Menace and a prequel to the original Luke Skywalker trilogy.

Posted By: milum Re: pre-thought? - 11/19/02 11:17 PM
. What he said.

© Wordsmith.org