Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jmh Gap gone and done it again! - 10/04/02 07:10 AM
I can't believe it!

I drive past GAP and there it is. Another of their attempts at American Cultural Imperialism. Why?

Last year, I complained about their "HOLIDAYS ARE HERE" campaign which left many people here rather bemused thinking "I took my holidays in the summer - why is there a picture of a child all wrapped up in warm clothes - is the child going on a holiday? ...."

This year the sign says "FALL SALE" - does this mean that they are selling items that "fell off the back of a lorry", or are they worried about falling sales/market share. Of course we all (I think) know what "fall" means in the USA, it just happens to be called "Autumn" here - what's wrong with a sign saying "Autumn Sale"? - surely they have signs in French and Spanish when they have shops in those countries. Why do they fail to acknowledge that we have our own language too!

Posted By: Bean Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/04/02 10:11 AM
Why do they fail to acknowledge that we have our own language too!

It's even worse in Canada, probably because we're right next door and they assume that we're clones without ever bothering to ask. I'm not sure if that makes you feel better. But at least you know you're not alone!

Posted By: Jackie Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/04/02 12:52 PM
Well, Jo, possibly the signs were shipped from the States; I don't know. I will say that I have been told by a beloved Brit-speaker that I ought to learn to speak English! But maybe I should tell him to learn American: recently he used a slang expression that HE thought changed the antecedent insult to show that he was making a joke. Instead, though, it served to emphasize the seriousness; quite rocked me back on my heels, till I asked, I can tell you.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/04/02 12:57 PM
There is, of course, the simple fact that the USn use of holiday is etymologically more defensible.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/04/02 02:17 PM
Well if it makes me feel any better, Gap and most other American stores insult the intelligence of Americans (perhaps considered an oxymoron by many British...) too.

We use "autumn" here as well as "fall." They're more or less interchangeable, with autmn being slightly more formal, having a whopping two syllables.

U.S. retailers love the time between October and January because there is pretty much a holiday per month, leading up to their biggest money maker, Christmas. Hence "the holiday" season is the time when shoppers are more easily separated from their money. It can be rather nauseating (or as many of my patients say, "nauseratin") to see Christmas decorations up in stores well in advance of any real cultural feelings that the Christmas season has arrived.

Posted By: Bean Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/04/02 02:46 PM
There is, of course, the simple fact that the USn use of holiday is etymologically more defensible

Except for the fact that the choice of the word holiday by retailers is dictacted by their desire not to appear to prefer/offend any particular religion's holy day. In fact, in ad campaigns, holiday has quite an un-religious meaning.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/04/02 03:48 PM
Except for the fact...

Yer in line behind Shona.

Posted By: Bean Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/04/02 05:21 PM
Yer in line behind Shona.

Huh???? [confused]

Posted By: Faldage Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/04/02 05:28 PM
Huh????

For replacing me as chief nitpicker.

Posted By: of troy Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/04/02 05:32 PM
i know you raise the issue last year, and i think i recall that the subject was "talked about', but did it have a real negitive impact? or did it just make everyone notice, comment, and think about The Gap? and if it did, maybe the ad succeded in way you might not have thought of... after all you still remember last years add, and with all the real information you have to deal with, for an add to imbed itself in you consciousness, well that is an acheivement isn't it?

from an Ad man's point of view, Holidays are here was a very successfull ad!

it most likely hasn't annoyed you enought to say, 'i am never shopping there" (and even if it did, your kids might have other ideas!) so you are more aware of the gap as a result of advertizing.. scary isn't it?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Successful ads - 10/04/02 05:39 PM
I used to subscribe to AdWeek magazine (don't ask) and enjoyed the two columns that reviewed new ads. One would look at three or four new campaigns and generally rate them for good or bad; the other would look in some depth at one campaign that the writer thought was particularly good. I liked it especially when one writer would write a rave review of a campaign the other had panned.

Posted By: TEd Remington Fall-acy? - 10/04/02 06:10 PM
Jo:

Do the English not make a connection when fall is used in the context of a season? Or do they have to stop or mentally shift gears just for a second to come up with the connection?

I use fall and autumn as completely interchangeable in that context. What would Princess Summer-Autumn-Winter-Spring say???

Posted By: Faldage Re: Fall-acy? - 10/04/02 06:33 PM
Princess Summer-Autumn- Winter-Spring

Shouldn't that be Princess Summer-Autumn-Winter-Vern?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Howdy, everybody! - 10/04/02 06:51 PM
That's just so much bluster, you know.

Note to non-USns, and those under thirty: in the 1950s there was a kids' television program called "The Howdy Doody Show," with another puppet/character called Princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring. And another one called Phineas T. Bluster. Also the Flub-a-dub, and Buffalo Bob, and Clarabell the clown, who later became more widely known in a show of his own as Captain Kangaroo.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Howdy, everybody! - 10/04/02 07:07 PM
{ahem}

"It's Howdy Doody Time!
It's Howdy Doody Time!
Bob Smith and Howdy, too,
Say Howdy-doo to you!"

I didn't realize Clarabel became Cap Kangaroo, though. I wonder what CapK might have to say about all this?

Posted By: musick Humor, add salt - 10/04/02 07:41 PM
I used to subscribe to AdWeek magazine (don't ask) and enjoyed the two columns that reviewed new ads.

It seems a like a great source for humor.

---------------

Yes, last year we did have a similar holiday discussion and I distinctly remember b******g about the early *hour it is/was to be talking about the holidays which don't actually® start until US'ns Thanksgiving. I wouldn't consider anything about October part of the holiday season... other than the *best holiday of the year... Samhain!

Posted By: milum Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/04/02 09:50 PM
Now, now, let's keep this discussion within the spirit of the holiday season.

Now here's a happy thought...think about it, - a whole world peopled by americans; English americans, japanese americans, iraqian americans, everybody Americans.

A world of free trade and brotherhood where GAP advertisements would be understood from pole to shining pole, and a place where Coca-Cola could at last teach the world to sing...and every single nation on this earth would finally understand each other's mindless babble and sing in perfect harmony..."God Bless America".

O' were it only so...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/05/02 12:49 AM
a whole world peopled by americans; English americans, japanese americans, iraqian americans, everybody Americans.

Great minds, milum. I was thinking along much the same directments. It is merely necessary for everyone to acknowledge that George the First is Supreme President for Life of All He Surveys. Aberrant spellings, such as honour and democratise will be banned and English First shall be the true language of all peoples. Holidays shall be those declared by the SPfLoAHS and personal time off work shall be recognized only as vacations and the time of year will be known only as Fall. This is only as it should be.

Posted By: jmh Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/05/02 09:47 PM
>I was thinking along much the same directments.

Of course, I see the light now!

Posted By: jmh Re: Gap reply - 10/05/02 09:58 PM
Encouraged by Milo's concern for the TRUTH in reference to the challenged books of the world, I wrote to the mighty GAP HQ and received this reply (standard inoffensive reply 36, I assume). Having taught on marketing and customer care courses in the past one can only admire it for being completely calm and inoffensive.
Thank you for your message regarding our marketing campaigns. Because our market is quite diverse, we create a wide range of materials with many different themes and treatments in an effort to reach everyone at one time or another. Sometimes we miss the mark with some customers,
and while it's disappointing to hear, it does encourage us to keep trying new ideas that may be more appealing. We hope you'll keep watching and continue to let us know how we're doing.

If we may be of further assistance, please contact us via e-mail at
custserv@gap.com or by calling 1-800-GAP-STYLE. Our Customer Service
Consultants are available 24 hours a day for your convenience.

Sincerely,

Cynthia (name changed, even though is probably isn't a real name)
Customer Service Consultant

So why does it make me want to write:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

(PS to TED - yes, Fall gives me a double take, it really isn't used here, except in American TV and movies, most advertisers, even multinationals would translate it.)

Posted By: musick Reply gap - 10/06/02 04:56 PM
jo - You may officially consider your cookie cut.

Posted By: FishonaBike Successful ads - 10/09/02 11:05 AM
did it just make everyone notice, comment, and think about The Gap? and if it did, maybe the ad succeded in way you might not have thought of...

Well, yes and no, Helen. I think to a certain extent all marketing is geared up towards building lifetime relationships with customers, giving them the sense that they as individuals are "important".

If a large company can't be bothered to cater for an entire nation it doesn't say much for their attitude to individuals. I'd expect that kind of approach from the cheaper, mass-produced end of the market, but not from a supposed quality supplier.

And to some extent I would also pass such negative feelings about the company on to my kids. They may well ignore me, of course, but then, they may not. Can Gap afford the possibility?

There is certainly such a thing as bad publicity, although it's less about being controversial and more about being ignorant and dismissive.

Posted By: wsieber Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/09/02 11:43 AM
Interestingly enough, in spite of this seemingly global advertising, GAP is hardly known as a firm in German-speaking parts of Europe. Maybe because for those of us who have learnt English at school, gap stands for something that's missing, just as a fall is usually painful.

Posted By: musick Sub - poser - 10/09/02 01:41 PM
...from a supposed quality supplier.

Huh???

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Sub - poser - 10/09/02 02:29 PM
>>...from a supposed quality supplier.
Huh???

Everything's relative, mate!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/10/02 12:05 PM
I just thought of a cute slogan for this particular chain in the UK: "Mind the Gap!"

hehehe

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Gap gone and done it again! - 10/10/02 01:26 PM
"Mind the Gap!"

With a slogan like that they'd have to go underground for a while, 'tie..

But if you don't mind the Gap will it make you Saddle-sore?
cross-threading

© Wordsmith.org