Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill nuke'em 2 - 09/19/02 06:46 PM
(as per the 99 post board etiquette "we-don't-need-no- steenkin'-rules-rule")

the nucleus of the matter?

I've got it! We've gotta get Dubya to say nucleus...if he says nuculous, we've got 'em!

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/19/02 06:48 PM
Say da magic woid ya earn a hundred dollahs. It's a common woid, something you have zillions of in yer own body.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/19/02 06:52 PM
Faldage said: Very good, Dub. I sincerely commend you for this action. I will have no more to say on the matter in this forum.

Well...[rolleyes-e]

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/19/02 06:54 PM
Well...[rolleyes-e]

I said what I meant and I meant what I said and I din't and it's done.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/19/02 06:56 PM
I said what I meant and I meant what I said and I din't and it's done.

A man's word is a man's word! No sense goin' nucular about it!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/20/02 06:12 AM
Well, that's that theory blown (up).

Posted By: wow Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/20/02 04:01 PM
Stop stop stop! I have had no trouble saying nuc-le-ar for years...until now. I've read it so many times here that now I have to stop and think before I say it. So stop it I say! Lest you think it's not a word in everyday conversations - well you must not live within 10 miles of a Nuclear Power Plant, as I do - Seabrook Station- actually about 5 miles as the crow flies from my house, across the marsh to the plant.
Ya not gonna baleeve it BUT - at an NRC meeting I attended years ago as a reporter one of the Commissioners actually used The Other Pronunciation!

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/20/02 04:16 PM
one of the Commissioners actually used The Other Pronunciation!

I ain't sayin' nothin'.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/20/02 07:09 PM
Ya not gonna baleeve it BUT - at an NRC meeting I attended years ago as a reporter one of the Commissioners actually used The Other Pronunciation!

Now he's pro'bly one of Bush's speech writers!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/21/02 02:27 AM
Now he's pro'bly one of Bush's speech writers! W'on

...well, that explains it then. I can rest more easily tonight.

Posted By: milum Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/21/02 02:37 AM
Darnit, Whitman, Nuke'em 2 is already out and the Academy hasn't yet named the Awad Awards for Nuke'em 1.

May I have the envelope please...

The Best Imitation of Monica Lewinsky Award goes to...
...the Wordwind who said...

" Five minutes with the president; That's all I'm asking. Five minutes"

The Most Clever Mask of a Vulgar and Tasteless Remark Award;
The winner is...Faldage for the sentiment...

"Anyun thanks a three yer ole cain't lie 'sgot his hed stuck so far up his butt he's lookin' through his ohn bawls."

And the ever-coveted It Takes One To Know One Award goes to...of course, everyone's favorite Chicagian- Musick for the completeness of his remark...

"I know a non-sequitur when I see one, and that ain't one."

And now a Surprise. For the first time in aylears history a unamious vote for the Miss Congeniality Award ...Fishonabike ! Come on up fish and take a bow...sure you can, fish, if you can ride a bike you can bow. Thank You fish, you are fresh tho' though a fish and we love you. What a guy!

Moving right along, the award for the Most Profound But Yet Cool Comment goes to the much-saged wwh for...

"...so as we are all descriptivists and if we strip all meaning from words, communication will be more surely destroyed than can be done by the use of a few, like, y'knows, and whatevers."

And Finally, at long last, we come to that most titilating moment of these awards for all you word-loving, mother-loathing, pedancing pedants out there in full-lull of catch-as-may-catch-can word processing. The announcement of the award for Hey, Hey, I Gotcha goes to...

Ladies and gentlemen, you won't believe this...It's a Tie!

Annastrophic for her catching WhitmanOniel in his sloppy spelling of "expecially" (sic)and the great Faldage for his insight into the message of wordwind that she had clumsly used an extra "the".
Congratulations you two, and bless your ever continuing ideas of frolicing and fun.
And I mean this (outside of sublties) sincerely,

Milum. (And the two-thousand members of the Academy Board.)

Except one.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/21/02 02:55 AM
"expecially"

Uh, 'scuse me, milum...but, uh, that's exspecially!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/21/02 03:12 AM
milum should be given an award, too, for:

K N U C K L E       E  A  R

...Best Overall Creation of a Stand-in Term for All Matters Nucular and Nuclear, Take Your Pick
(Where is wow?)

Posted By: milum Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/21/02 03:20 AM
Oh god, Whitty, must you destroy my continuities? Together you and I can find Nirvana, not your friends, nor the jerks.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/21/02 03:29 AM
It seems we're now inflating these smple wordistic maneuvers to Nucularean Proportions. But I won't cave in to milum's idle flattery (after all, he did award AsP for zinging ME!) by knuckle-earing up to him with pseudo-statuesque tributes. Besides, like the great George C. Scott, I find all awards for artistic achievement (ahem) to be rather pukular. And I won't show up for the ceremony...

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/21/02 03:40 AM
Continuities? You smell land, where there be no land!...but such is normal for a once-great Atlantean spirit like yourself! But ol' Ahab is dead, my dear miley...and so we must look to the whale as the nuculous of the tale, mustn't we?...whopper that it is? And I already found Nirvana, thanks...a gal named Ana who had a lot of nerve! You want her back!!!?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/21/02 06:56 AM
I already found Nirvana, thanks...a gal named Ana who had a lot of nerve!

Ana? That's a funny way of spelling "Courtney". Or "Kurt Cobain" for that matter ...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Most Clever Mask Award - 09/21/02 10:25 AM
Thank ya, thank ya. But Ah muss complain. It were ahbawls not ohn bawls. 'S a whole nother thang.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/21/02 11:08 AM
Ana? That's a funny way of spelling "Courtney". Or "Kurt Cobain" for that matter ...

Geez, Cap...that's a pretty grungey remark!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/21/02 12:52 PM
Yer right, Juan.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/21/02 10:26 PM
Yer right, Juan.

Ommigosh! Ommigosh! Unmitigated, unembellished, unqualified agreement from the Cap! I'm humbled, I'm astonished, I'm speechless! Mark this moment well in the annals of AWAD history, folks, it may never come again!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/21/02 10:49 PM
>...unqualified agreement from the Cap! I'm humbled, I'm astonished, I'm speechless!

okay, which of you is indulging in irony?!

...oh, wait; it can't, by conventional wisdom, be Juan.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: nuke'em 2 - 09/23/02 05:57 AM
...oh, wait; it can't, by conventional wisdom, be Juan.

I've never been conventional!

Posted By: FishonaBike Miss Congeniality - 09/23/02 01:30 PM
There were opportunities to share genetic material that I missed?

I must be getting old.

a unamious vote
No love lost there, then!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Miss Congeniality - 09/23/02 08:23 PM
Moi? Ironic? Geddaway wit' yer!

I promise it'll never happen again, Juan. Sorry. Just a Fridayan slip ...

Posted By: sjm Re: Milum's Award Show - 09/23/02 08:36 PM
has, as any good award show must, given out one of its gongs to the wrong recipient.
In reply to:

the award for the Most Profound But Yet Cool Comment goes to the much-saged wwh for...

"...so as we are all descriptivists and if we strip all meaning from words, communication will be more surely destroyed than can be done by the use of a few, like, y'knows, and whatevers."

However, the link below shows that this comment was made by Faldage.
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=81094

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Miss Congeniality - 09/23/02 09:06 PM
Just a Fridayan slip ...

Hmmm...you wear a slip on Fridays, Cap? Does Faldage know about this?
La Cage AWAD!

© Wordsmith.org