Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic 100 Words - 09/17/02 09:09 PM
... all high school graduates should know, according to our friends at the AHD. How do we measure up?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N2F2213D1

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: 100 Words - 09/17/02 09:50 PM
How do we measure up?

Not bad at a quick glance, Auntlette - but I have to question many of the choices of our friends at the AHD.

I suppose the authority of any list that is meant to help denote "a superior command of the language" is going to be questionable.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: 100 Words - 09/17/02 09:52 PM
Thanks for the link, AnnaS.

Good list--some were surprising because they were not challenging at all (e.g., vortex, soliloquy, hypotenuse)--but a couple of the ones associated with science, for instance, I wouldn't know how to use correctly. Overall, I'd say 95% of them I was very familiar with. About 5% I'd have to fudge on--and probably wouldn't use them correctly (e.g., nanotechnology).

Posted By: musick Re: 100 Words - 09/17/02 09:58 PM
cir·cum·lo·cu·tion = I don't know *about the word, but the concept...

Posted By: johnjohn Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 01:05 AM
ziggurat - how useful. ( - "Just going off to the ziggurat dear")
jj

Posted By: johnjohn Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 08:30 AM
there's also a certain irony in a USn site explaining or dealing with the meaning of irony, presumably to other USns. (Who was it who first described the US as an "irony free zone"?)
jj

Posted By: Faldage Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 09:49 AM
Who was it who first described the US as an "irony free zone"?

We use irony. We just call it lying.

Posted By: johnjohn Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 10:01 AM
a hit ,a very palpable hit...

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 10:40 AM

I used to think irony was spelled C-A-G-T . But maybe it's u-d-t-b-s-c.

k

Posted By: wwh Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 01:57 PM
Epiphany is a word I have to look up repeatedly. Sunday school didn't beat it into me.

Gerrymander is a word of such limited use, only people from Massachusetts should be
expected to know it. Last use I remember is when Barney Franks robbed Margaret Heckler
of a large part of her consttituenecy, thirty years or more ago.

Posted By: Faldage Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 01:59 PM
Gerrymandering is alive and well and reasserts itself every ten years.

Posted By: wwh Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 02:03 PM
Dear Faldage: I'm glad you didn't ask me to tell about Elbridge Gerry. I'll bet no other member
except a New Englander ever heard of him.

Posted By: Faldage Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 02:11 PM
Elbridge Gerry

Pronounced [garry]. That notwithstanding gerrymander is pronounced [jerrymander].

We learned about him in our grammar school history classes in Chicago.

Posted By: wwh Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 02:15 PM
Dear Faldage: Massachusetts schools are so backward I had to wait until I got into
highschool to learn about Elbridge Gerry.

Posted By: Faldage Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 02:19 PM
Dear Dr. Bill

My memory is sloppy enough. It may have been high school. I'm sure I didn't have to wait till I got to Boston to learn about this sterling role model for modern day politicians.

Posted By: wwh Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 02:37 PM
Dear Faldage: as a happy result of your needling me (I love it) I looked up Elbridge Gerry in
encyclopedia, and was amazed to find he was Harvard man and Vice President under Madison.
I had grossly under-estimated him. I had also not known pronuncitation of his last name.
(like clerk being pronounced clark). Keep up the good work.

Posted By: Faldage Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 05:12 PM
And you, Dr. Bill, keep looking things up, reporting and expanding our knowledge.

Posted By: wwh Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 05:24 PM
Dear Faldage: twist AS's arm to find us another hundred words.

Posted By: sjm Re: 100 Words - 09/18/02 06:41 PM
I'll bet no other member except a New Englander ever heard of him.

You would lose that bet, wwh. I fell in love with the word gerrymander back in high school, which was a fair step from New England.

Posted By: slithy toves - 09/18/02 07:34 PM
Posted By: dodyskin Re: gerrymander - 09/18/02 07:53 PM
I PASSED!!!!!!!!! I'm not a graduate of high school but I did ace the test, I'm not sure if I would have before I spent half my life on AWAD though. As for gerrymandering, as a regular subscriber to Private Eye, this is a familiar word to me,there was a well publicised incident in London a few years ago which was exposed in the Eye's 'Rotten Boroughs' section. I never knew the etymology though, very interesting.

Posted By: wwh Re: gerrymander - 09/18/02 08:08 PM
Not a very good picture, but here is a URL with picture from which you can get an idea of
how voting district lines were re-drawn suggesting to political cartoonist a salamander-like
outline: You have to scroll down at least a third of the way.

http://imaginatorium.org/books/maps.htm

Posted By: musick Re: gerrymander - 09/18/02 09:37 PM
dodyskin - Given your day of arrival here at AWAD, that makes you the most orthographical almost-one-year-old I've ever had the pleasure of *seeing.

Posted By: FishonaBike tweet - 09/18/02 09:44 PM
And you, Dr. Bill, keep looking things up, reporting and expanding our knowledge.

Egad, Tweedlitis is infectious!

Posted By: wwh Re: tweet - 09/18/02 09:54 PM
Dear fishonabike: as an extreme of idiocy, I remind myself of Charlemagne trying in his old
age to learn Latin. I despair of achieving literacy commensurate with my ambition.
How I wish I could read as much as fast as the rest of you can. But it's fun trying
Thank you for your kind words. Bill.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: tweet - 09/18/02 10:04 PM
How I wish I could read as much as fast as the rest of you can

Not me, Bill - I like cycling 'cos you can take your own time and take in the scenery.

But it's fun trying

Respect!

Posted By: wow Re: 100 words - 09/20/02 04:25 PM
Had them read to me and got all but seven - and six were on new blood stuff or geometry that I have forgotten most of. The seventh was sanguine....that was a surprise. The opposite of what Ithought.
Thanks for the list.
Nice work!

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: 100 Words - 09/21/02 04:11 PM
wrought (rôt) v. A past tense and a past participle of work.§ adj. 1. Put together; created: a carefully wrought plan. 2. Shaped by hammering with tools. Used chiefly of metals or metalwork. 3. Made delicately or elaborately. [Middle English wroght < Old English geworht, past participle of wyrcan, to work; see werg- in App.]

I always thought "wrought" meant shaped by twisting, and was the past tense of "wring," analogous to "brought/bring."

Whom are we to believe, me or some strange dictionary?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: 100 Words - 09/21/02 04:31 PM
>Whom are we to believe, me or some strange dictionary?

<fill-in-the-blank stare>

Posted By: musick Re: 100 Words - 09/21/02 04:33 PM
Whom are we to believe, me or some strange dictionary?

You both *make sense given the common US'n use of "wrought iron"... or is this rota irony? [ouch]

Posted By: wofahulicodoc wrung again - 09/21/02 04:57 PM
Well, well.

NI3 agrees with That Other Dictionary we were just talking about, and says the past tense of "wring" is "wrung."

Wrought means shaped "by artistry or effort," according to them.

Live and learn.

Anybody know what OED says?

Posted By: wwh Re: wrung again - 09/21/02 05:41 PM
The special thing about wrought iron is that it is made of soft steel, which is
extremely malleable, so smith can show off
by adding decorative twists and bends not possible with cast iron.

Posted By: musick Wring out your dead - 09/21/02 05:44 PM
Anybody know what OED says?

I could care less!

I'm really trying...

Posted By: sjm Re: Wring out your dead - 09/21/02 07:31 PM
>I'm really trying...

But do you manage to be so without really trying?

Posted By: wwh Re: Wring out your dead - 09/21/02 07:44 PM
"I'm really trying."

Why be difficult, when with just a little more offort you can be impossible.

Posted By: musick It sounds like I'm choking on something... - 09/21/02 08:06 PM
Not that I want to recreate the descript/prescript arguement here... on the contrary. In this case, they both win - whether or not the Omnipotent Exclusionary Dictationers decide to accept its usage.Just think, this could all be a moot point

Who are we to dam wolfaholicodoc's (or my) creative juices?

How long does it take before slang (or dialect) becomes an actual word? I say it's immediate!

-------------------

In my office, there's a sign that says "If you're grouchy, irritable or just plain mean, there will be a 10$ charge for putting up with you.

Posted By: Faldage Re: 100 Words - 09/21/02 08:11 PM
wring, strong verb of class III: wringan, wrang, (ge)wrungen

work, weak verb of class 1 wyrcan, worhte, worht

worhte
, through the magic of metathesis, became wrought.

Posted By: wwh Re: 100 Words - 09/21/02 08:16 PM
What hath God wrought?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc wringing my hands one last time - 09/21/02 11:35 PM
work, weak verb of class 1 wyrcan, worhte, worht
worhte, through the magic of metathesis, became wrought.

I understand what you're saying; still, it sounds like witchcraft (for the obvious reason) whenever I read that derivation.

© Wordsmith.org