Wordsmith.org
Posted By: slithy toves nuke'em - 09/13/02 03:10 AM
W's speech at the UN seemed rather more forceful and focused than some of the rambling we've heard from him of late. But wouldn't you think someone would tell him how to pronounce nuclear? I counted seven nu-cu-leurs in less than five minutes. Fifty years ago everyone was razzing Ike for saying it that way.

Posted By: dxb Re: nuke'em - 09/13/02 06:32 AM
I counted seven nu-cu-leurs in less than five minutes

I was beginning to think it must be the American way of spelling the word, rather like aluminum instead of aluminium. Secketary instead of secretary is another common pronunciation error, with the "a" almost swallowed, as in Secket'ry of State.

dxb.

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em - 09/13/02 10:16 AM
Fifty years ago everyone was razzing Ike for saying it that way.

Fifty years and we still haven't gotten into y'all's thick skulls.

This is the leader of the free world we're talkin about here. Y'all have no choice but to follow him. Congerss doesn't *need to approve.

Posted By: Bean Re: nuke'em - 09/13/02 11:07 AM
Fifty years ago everyone was razzing Ike for saying it that way.

Trust me, many people are secretly razzing Dubya for it. I don't like it much either. But if you get Faldage too involved in this discussion you'll get a lesson on bird and brid, most likely.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Bush's poetic side - 09/13/02 12:28 PM
Meanwhile, a poem orchestrated by one Richard Thompson (I think he writes for the Washington Post) from real-live true documented Dubyaisms:

http://www.bushtimes.com/cgi-bin/iowa/news/record.html?record=115

PS slithy, we were groaning as we counted the nu-cu-lers, too...

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Bush's poetic side - 09/13/02 12:38 PM
http://angli02.kgw.tu-berlin.de/lexicography/data/MAVENS.html

Well this whole thing goes back to the debate over prescriptive ve descriptive "rules" of language. While it may be technically correct to pronounce "nuclear," many people obviously find "NOOK-u-lar" to roll off the tongue more easily. Since there is no lack of understanding on the listener's part, I don't see the problem, other than that heads of state are generally expected to speak more formally.

Posted By: wwh Re: Bush's poetic side - 09/13/02 01:10 PM
Some words just don't roll off the tongue right. When I was admitting physician
I used to have patients request referral to Chief of UnClear medicine.

Posted By: slithy toves Re: Bush's poetic side - 09/13/02 02:22 PM
Alex, I understand your point and agree with much of the MAVENS essay. But there's a vast difference between kowtowing to obsolete prescriptive habits and simply avoiding messy speech. Consider particularly the tendency of so many members of our Congress to rant about so-sha-curity or the prezh-u-nida-states. I find it refreshing to listen to British politicians, most of whom can at least articulate. Now and then there's a fine speaker in US politics (e.g. Barbara Jordan) but by and large they're pretty sloppy. Could it be an intentional thing based on regionalism? After all, they're depending on the whim of voters from back home, who tend to, like, talk the same way.

Posted By: dxb Re: Bush's poetic side - 09/13/02 02:54 PM
Slithy, you may well have a point. In Britain it also happens that politicians and particularly trade union leaders who normally speak "standard English" will adopt a regional accent or even slovenly speech for the benefit of the audience they actually wish to impress - not necessarily the one they appear to be addressing! The late Frank Cousins, a trade union leader, was notorious for this.
dxb.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Bush's poetic side - 09/13/02 04:27 PM
In reply to:

Could it be an intentional thing based on regionalism? After all, they're depending on the whim of voters from back home, who tend to, like, talk the same way.

Well that could be the case. There's definitely an anti-intellectual tradition in the U.S. and politicians don't want to come off as "eggheads." Even Bill Clinton, who was a Rhoades Scholar, played up an image of a good ol' boy, and the press was happy to help. I think Americans in general like a politician who comes across as strong, smart but not too fancy-schmancy, a cut-the-bullcrap sort of person. I'm not English, so I can't speak for them, but I think they might appreciate fine oration more than we do on this side of the pond. Winston Churchill, for example, could talk real good...

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em - 09/13/02 05:40 PM
get Faldage too involved in this discussion you'll get a lesson on bird and brid

In the case of nucular I'm more likely to bring up the example of Hercules and Herakles but then some nit-picker would probably complain that this should go in Words from classical mythology.

Nucular has a couple of things going for it. One is the large number of scientific words that end in -ular, e.g., molecular, cellular, etc., to act as models. The only other common word that ends in -clear is clear itself (and derivative words such as unclear). The other thing is that there is a standard linguistic process that I don't remember enough about to expound upon in any detail here but which perhaps one of our linguists could. It is probably the same thing that turned the Greek Herakles into the Latin Hercules.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: nuke'em - 09/13/02 05:54 PM
but then some nit-picker would probably complain

must... resist... temptation...

standard linguistic process

metathesis? Like brid -> bird?

Posted By: Faldage Re: metathesis - 09/13/02 06:14 PM
brid -> bird

Yeahbut©, I think there's something specific to the CL thang that makes it special.

This site http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/mispron.html points out that British and Australians find the American repetition of the [u] between the [k] and [l] quaintly amusing. Good reason [to] get it right.

Ut si!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: metathesis - 09/13/02 06:28 PM
That's a cool site and worth a thread of its own!

Meanwhile, AHD has this to say:

http://www.bartleby.com/61/30/P0673050.html

Posted By: Faldage Re: metathesis, ecsetera - 09/13/02 06:59 PM
There's also something called Attraction that plays a role in nucular. If it were just metathesis it would come out something like nukelar. Attraction causes a vowel change to match a nearby vowel, giving us nucular (although it is usually pronounced nucyular).

Just googling metathesis nucular gives a small but interesting group of sites.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: metathesis, ecsetera - 09/13/02 07:58 PM
The easiest way to remind yourself to pronounce it correctly is to remember that it sounds like "new clear." By the way there was an album in 1980 by a band called The Vapors called "New Clear Days" which contained the song "Turning Japanese."

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Tilting at windmills - 09/13/02 09:12 PM
I'm afraid this is another of a too-large number of degradations of the language that have evolved despite all efforts. Chalk it up next to Febyooary, liberry, between you and I, and split infinitives.

Correcting these misusages is an unrewarding, nay a thankless task, and in the sense of choosing your battles may be not worth our aggravation. The best I've been able to come up with (see? preposition-at-end-of-sentence was another one one hundred years ago, wasn't it?) is to lead by example and choose my own words with care.

Still, it's frustrating to be "right" but smothered by the rest of 'em. Ain't it?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Splitting Infinitives - 09/13/02 09:25 PM
Let me know whether I'm incorrect in what I've learned--especially since I've never studied Latin--but what I heard an English professor state was it was ridiculous not to split the infinitive when a writer wanted to get the adverb closer to the verb itself for emphasis. The professor's reasoning was that the Latin infinitive was a single word, not two as are English infinitives. By forcing the adverb to either precede or follow the two-word English infinitive, force was lost and awkwardness was often the only gain. He gave us a long list of sentences in which the two-word infinitive had not been split and companion sentences in which the adverb was nestled up right against the root verb after the "to." I thought his was a point well-taken.

WW

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: nuke'em - 09/14/02 04:14 PM
I guess the thing about this use of nucular by Dubya that most puzzles and amazes me is that his many advisors must all say it the same way; otherwise one of them would have gently corrected him.

I personally consider the mispronunciation of nuclear as a sign of lack of education. And if Dubya's been idificated and still does it it's a sign of stupidity. Ignorance can be cured, stupidity goes all the way to the bone.

Posted By: wwh Re: nuke'em - 09/14/02 04:26 PM
Smart courtiers do not correct the King. That's why we call London's river the Tems.
Edit: Peccavi. The above appears to be a canard. No mention of it in AHD
http://www.bartleby.com/61/11/T0141100.html
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Splitting Infinitives - 09/14/02 06:12 PM
The professor's reasoning was that the Latin infinitive was a single word, not two as are English infinitives.

WW, you learned right. It was one of those Victorian thangs. I'll let my betters, tsuwm, Faldage and maverick (and who knows who-all else?), direct you to the right place but I think you'll find this in Pinkerton's The Language Instinct, which somebody cited somewhere in some forum (I'm getting too old to be participating in four bulletin boards... I can never remember who did what to whom).

And then again, you could always consult William Safire.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Tems - 09/14/02 06:16 PM
Smart courtiers do not correct the King. That's why we call London's river the Tems.

I alwaays wondered why, Dr Bill. Can you substantiate and attribute? One of those Hanover guys?

Posted By: wwh Re: Tems - 09/14/02 06:24 PM
Dear AS: my face is red. I remember reading that because the first Hanoverian,
George I spoke no English, he pronounced name of river auf Deutsch. and sycophant
courtiers adopted his pronunciation. But AHD says the "h" in the name was
introduced by spurious scholarship, and pronunciation therefore aways was "Tems".

Posted By: Faldage Re: Ignorant or stupid - 09/15/02 12:32 PM
Ignorance can be cured, stupidity goes all the way to the bone.

Dwight David Eisenhower. James Earl Carter.

Ignorant or stupid?

This is a sample of natural linguistic change. It's OK if it was done a couple hundred years ago but heaven forfend that it happen right before your eyes. No problem using the accusative/dative plural in the singular nominative in the second person as long as the ungrammatical usage was established as "correct" 400 hundred years ago but not today in the third person. It's OK to pronounce knight as though it were spelled nite but not nuclear as though it were spelled nucular.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Y'all prescriptivists ain' got no respeck for the language. It's fine as long as it does what you want it to do, but you can't take it on its own terms.

Harrumph®!

Posted By: dodyskin Re: nuke'em - 09/15/02 05:09 PM
duck tape duct tape Ducks very rarely need taping though you may not know that ducts always do—to keep air from escaping through the cracks in them. , i have always called this gaffer tape or duck tape, the main brand name for gaffer tape in England

Posted By: sjm Re: Ignorant or stupid - 09/15/02 08:22 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Y'all prescriptivists ain' got no respeck for the language.

And I've said it before and will say it again: we're all prescriptivists, even you. It's just a matter of degree. One simply needs to be prepared to admit that one has one's own set of prescriptivists taboos.

Posted By: wwh Re: Ignorant or stupid - 09/15/02 09:11 PM
Prescriptivists are indeed condemned to piss against the tide. But patient teaching
of what is beautiful and what is ugly in language use ought slacken the tide a bit.
We can't lick the slobs, but we don't have to join them. Like, whatever.

Posted By: musick Laughing energy - 09/15/02 09:20 PM
One simply needs to be prepared to admit that one has one's own set of prescriptivists taboos.

Not if yer already prepared to laugh at the admition before actually® 'doing so'.

Would you (have me) believe that the least prescriptive of *us approaches the ununderstandable?

Posted By: sjm Re: Laughing energy - 09/15/02 09:26 PM
In reply to:

Not if yer already prepared to laugh at the admition before actually® 'doing so'.

Would you (have me) believe that the least prescriptive of *us approaches the ununderstandable?

You, sir, are one of the least benightedly unintelligent life forms it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to avoid meeting.

RIP DNA

Posted By: Faldage Re: Ignorant or stupid - 09/15/02 10:24 PM
we're all prescriptivists, even you

As we are all descriptivists. If we work on that assumption we strip all meaning from the words and communication is destroyed more surely than can be done with a few like, y'knows.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Ignorant or stupid - 09/16/02 12:03 AM
>Like, whatever.

You say a lot of humorous things, Dr. Bill, and those two words may be the funniest you've ever posted here.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Like, whatever - 09/16/02 12:34 AM
The prescriptivist fallacy is that what the descriptivists describe has no rules.

Posted By: milum Re: Like, whatever - 09/16/02 01:20 AM
Like, whatever. ~ Dr Bill

You say a lot of humorous things, Dr. Bill, and those two words may be the funniest you've ever posted here. ~ TEd

Like, you know, I agree TEddy-O, it's just a loud crying shame that the good doc said them cool words the one, single, onliest time that Faldage was absolutely right. -> <- mw

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 10:49 AM

"And if Dubya's been idificated and still does it it's a sign of stupidity."

Maybe. "Educated" people tried for years to get me to change my ignorant habit of referring to my home town as Loo-uh-vul. It never worked. They gave all kinds of hints that I wasn't quite up to snuff, but none of them ever had the guts to say it to my face. More to the point, while one of my best friends, a truly brilliant fellow, knows the one and only correct pronunciation and nevertheless insists on saying noo-cyu-lar, it wouldn't even occur to me to think of him as either ignorant or stupid.

http://wingedsphere.com/ftv/ftv_home.htm Dean Z is the short-haired guy on the left. I'd like to educate him - I only wish I were qualified.

All of this is not of course to say that I don't feel a bit jealous that the Brits have someone so articulate, sincere, thoughtful, and, well, just plain smart, as Tony Blair.

"Ignorance can be cured, stupidity goes all the way to the bone."

I've heard that too. In fact, I don't think ignorance is such a bad thing at all, as everyone I've ever met possessed it to some degree. I'm not sure how it ever became a put-down.

k

Posted By: Wordwind Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 11:53 AM
Prescriptivism, descriptivism, piss-against-the-wallitism...

Dubya sounds like a dunce saying nukyooler.

I had a principal long ago who always said, "pacific" instead of "specific." He was a really sweet guy--and we teachers used to chuckle everytime he said "pacific" meaning "specific." I doubt any of us would have corrected him because of the big fish/small pond environment. Besides, we liked him.

But with Dubya it's different. Very big fish; very big pond...memories of someone out there having misspelled the very basic potato.

And it ain't a big deal to learn how to pronounce nuclear. Hasn't each of us here thought some word somewhere was pronounced a certain way only to learn later we were incorrect? And was it a big deal to plug in the correct pronunication? No. No big deal. But everytime Dubya gets in front of a TV camera, he's reaching a huge audience--and his nukyooler falls upon the ears of either wincing know-better's or innocents who might imitate him. If he doesn't care about refining his use of the language, then he sets no example. He shows that sloppiness is tolerable, he shows that there is no need to be curious about the progression of the language, he shows that there is no need to improve one's command of the language, and he makes me (a guppy in a shot glass) just plain mad.

Posted By: slithy toves Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 01:05 PM
Amen, Theresa! Descriptivism may have its defenders, but it can be a slippery slope.
"Now heaven knows
Anything goes."
~~Cole Porter

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 01:27 PM
My understanding is that Quayle was given a flashcard with a misspelled word on it. Why isn't anyone making fun of teachers (who presumably made the card in the first place)? At best, it's only a half-truth. This story goes in the same category as the one about Gore claiming he invented the Internet.

It would be nice if all of our statesmen were linguaphiles, but so far as I'm aware it's not a prerequisite for the position. Moreover, a person can be very well aware of "THE correct" pronunciation and neverthess feel that the word sounds funny and unnatural when said that way.

I'm strongly ambivalent in these situations. On the one hand, when people don't speak in the way I think they should speak, I sometimes find it extremely grating. OTOH, having been judged stupid on numerous occasions based on my vocabulary or my accent (or, I know this is hard to believe, but there are people who will valuate people's intelligence based on their perceptions of their political opinions), I try (I mean I really try) to force myself not to judge the intelligence or worth of people because of their habits of speech.

k

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 01:31 PM
innocents who might imitate him

The history of language is writ by innocents imitating.

a slippery slope

Note to attackers of the non-syllogistic use of the phrase begging the question:

Slippery Slope is also the name of a logical fallacy.

One can be a descriptivist without defending or condoning sloppy usage, as one can be a prescriptivist and practice sloppy usage. Pronunciation shift is a part of language; discounting the contributions of someone whose usages do not match one's own only limits the holder of these prejudices.

Posted By: wwh Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 01:42 PM
Prescriptivism is a dirty word, but must we cheerfully join the idiots who can't tell
one tenth from nine tenths? (good old decimate).

Posted By: Faldage Re: decimate - 09/16/02 01:48 PM
By the original meaning of the word one tenth were killed outright and nine tenths were shipped of to other legions. None were left in situ. A legion that was decimated had no one left in it.

Posted By: wwh Re: decimate - 09/16/02 01:55 PM
An interesting point, Faldage, that I've not heard before. I wish I could be sure
that the people who use the term for total distruction were thinking of that.
Too bad the Romans didn't call it "delendation".

Posted By: Faldage Re: decimate - 09/16/02 02:02 PM
People who use the term decimate in its modern sense of large-scale destruction are using it the way they have heard others use it and in a way that they expect people to understand based on the fact that that is the way others use it. If meaning did not shift then silly would be a compliment and nice an insult.

Posted By: slithy toves Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 02:30 PM
I regret using slippery slope. It's one of those trendy phrases I generally try to avoid. Just slipped out.

Posted By: dxb Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 03:44 PM
I know a couple of people who consistently say “brought” when they mean bought. This despite a lifetime of having heard the correct word used. This mistake, although not common, is sometimes heard around the London area – I haven’t heard it anywhere else. This causes me to stumble mentally every time I hear it as does the word nuclear pronounced as nucular. What happens is that for a time I am distracted from the message by the pronunciation. Others here obviously also find that to be the case.

So what we have is the most powerful man in the world's most powerful country trying to give us what he sees as a powerful message, but a good many of his listeners are being distracted from the message by his speech mannerisms! That has to be undesirable. Those of his listeners who themselves say "nucular" would not be upset or think any the less of him were he to pronounce the word properly, so the effect is all negative for him.

Certainly language is all about communication and it changes and develops with common usage, but that can only be through a popular trend (carefully avoids using "slippery slope"!). Whether a pronunciation or usage has become “accepted” can only be assessed by a body that is generally recognised as suitably qualified, and to see what is accepted right now one would, at least I would, refer to a number of well-known dictionaries. They will not suggest the use of brought for bought or nucular as a way to pronounce nuclear because right now those are not accepted.

So lets resist the trends that we find unpalatable or ugly to try to prevent them from becoming accepted!

dxb.

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 04:08 PM
They will not suggest the use of brought for bought or nucular as a way to pronounce nuclear because right now those are not accepted.

Suggesting one use a pronunciation and dismissing someone for using that pronunciation are two entirely different things.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 04:17 PM
I like the point, however, about incorrect pronunciation causing a distraction.

It's difficult enough to follow the path some speeches take without throwing obstacles in the way, such as mispronunciations.

If the mispronunciations go with the flow of, say, an obviously humorous part of the speech, well, great. We're in that groove with the speaker.

But if the mispronunciations are part of a serious speech we're trying to take seriously, the speech finally isn't as effective.

What is the good of cluttering up a serious speech with mispronunciations, Faldage? Really. What good comes of mispronounced words?

Posted By: dxb Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 04:21 PM
Faldage, I was not suggesting that anyone should be dismissed.

dxb

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 04:22 PM
not suggesting that anyone should be dismissed

You weren't but.

Posted By: dxb Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 04:24 PM
But what? But me no buts - be specific, not coy.

dxb

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 04:39 PM
What good comes of mispronounced words?

I hear people pronouncing either as "eye-ther" and it takes some effort for me not to assume they are putting on airs. People who don't think of "nucular" as being anything but the standard way of pronouncing the word probably don't spend a lot of time on the web nattering on about it* but they may well feel that those who do pronounce it correctly are a little bit stuffy.

*What does this say about the relative levels of intelligence?

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 04:41 PM
be specific, not coy.

...but TEd did.

Posted By: musick Nuke duke'em - 09/16/02 06:47 PM
... a body that is generally recognised as suitably qualified...

... So lets resist the trends that we find unpalatable or ugly to try to prevent them from becoming accepted!

Your choice of what is unpalatable or ugly seems to be aligned with your definition of a "suitably qualified" body... but personally *we find language an art form and its virtue is in the ears of the beholder.

I know what is meant when I hear 'noo-cue-lar' (I can't even say it myself) and I use 'eye-ther' quite 'off-ten' but I ain't tryin' to impress nobody by doin' so, yet the little journey of juxtaposition and misuse of "acceptable form"(blech) I take myself and the listener on in this sentence is intentional.

Speaking of... If the mispronouncer doesn't "know better" how long does it take 'til it no longer qualifies as a mispronouciation?

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: nuke'em - 09/16/02 10:24 PM
it takes some effort for me not to assume they are putting on airs...they may well feel that those who do pronounce it correctly are a little bit stuffy

Well, that's just inverse snobbery really, isn't it?

Point taken, though, nunclage - you shouldn't really judge people by what you consider mispronunciations, any more than you should judge them by accent, spelling, handwriting, dress, hairstyle, blah blah.

But the fact is, we do.

This can mislead us in ways that may suit a politician down to the ground, but those misconceptions could equally well destroy the politician's career. It's part of the job to be able to tell the difference.

Posted By: milum Re: nuke'em... now! - 09/17/02 09:37 AM
The poll results are in!
Is participatory democracy the cat's pajamas or what?

(No offense intended to those of you who still have Kings and Queens and outdoor plumbing)

The Survey

Should President Bush bomb Saddam Hussein out of the Old Stone Age and into the New Stone Age?
________________________________________YES [ ] NO [ ]

Does President Bush care if dippy, henny-penny, tree hugging, commies-with-out-a-country, liberals call him "Duhba" behind his back?
_________________________________________YES [ ] NO [ ]

Does "nuclear" rhyme with "knuckle-ear"?

Does "nuclear" rhyme with "molecular"?

Is anyone here driving a red ford station wagon parked out front in the loading zone with the lights on?
______________________________ YES [ ] NO [ ] DON'T KNOW [ ]

THE SURVEY SAID...

* 100% of my grandchildren agreed that we should stand firm against the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction by Saddam Hussein.

* 80% said that they thought that President Bush didn't care what you people called him (as long as it wasn't late to lunch. 20%)

* 0% thought that "nuclear" rhymed with yucky "knuckle-ear"

* 100% thought that "nuclear rhymed with "molecular".

* 80% answered that they owned the red station wagon, 20% (Olivia, who is only three and hasn't yet learned to lie) answered "I don't know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted By: Faldage Re: Flawed poll - 09/17/02 10:33 AM
Anyun thanks a three yer ole cain't lie 'sgot his hed stuck so far up his butt he's lookin out thru his ahbawls.

She jes gone lie about somthin worth liein about.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: decimate - 09/17/02 11:07 AM
Speaking of decimate, it happens to be today's Word. Y'all suppose Anu reads this thang sometimes?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: knuckle-ear - 09/17/02 11:27 AM
I like knuckle-ear.

Knuckle-ear reactors

Knuckle-ear bombs

Knuckle-ear physicist

Knuckle-ear power

I'm gonna write President Bush a letter and request that he start using "knuckle-ear" ASAP. I think it'll catch on. Thanks, milum, for coining a great word that gets at the both the drift of this thread and the drift of this thread.

Posted By: Faldage Re: knuckle-ear - 09/17/02 11:35 AM
a great word that gets at the both the drift of this thread and the drift of this thread.

That's very profound.

Or either that or a really dumb, unproofread mistake, one, or neither, none, or either that or both, both.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: knuckle-ear - 09/17/02 12:28 PM
a great word that gets at the both the drift of this thread and the drift of this thread.

...'twere intentional, Fald. Take it as you will.

WW

Posted By: Faldage Re: knuckle-ear - 09/17/02 12:39 PM
'twere intentional

Well, OK. I guess my onliest question now is whut's 'at firstest the doon in ther?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: knuckle-ear - 09/17/02 01:05 PM
Tha first the shou'na be there. I di'na read meseff well. 'Twas me knuckle-eye wot got in tha way.

Posted By: Faldage Re: knuckle-ear - 09/17/02 01:12 PM
me knuckle-eye wot got in tha way

Which just goes to prove the old saying: Never stick nothin bigger'n yer knuckle-elbow in yer knuckle-ear.

Posted By: Madam Curie Re: nuke'em - 09/17/02 04:18 PM

I see this issue as one of understanding what one (in this case the prez) is saying, by understanding where the word comes from. In the case of nuclear, it means relating to the nucleus or nuclei. (not molecules) Obviously this is rather key to the whole concept of nuclear weapons, arsenal, etc.. As I have never heard these other words pronounced as nu-que-lus or nu-que-li, I tend to view the use of nu-que-lar as an indication of ignorance.
Now, you may just look at it as a cute little verbal quirk of Dubya's, but I wouldn't want my children to imitate it.

Hello to all!

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em - 09/17/02 05:09 PM
understanding where the word comes from. In the case of nuclear, it means relating to the nucleus or nuclei. (not molecules)

And there's no bells in the origin of belfry.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/88/B0168800.html

Posted By: Madam Curie Re: nuke'em - 09/17/02 05:46 PM
batty I may be, but then when should the origin of the word have a bearing on the pronunciation? (I am aware that there are proper exceptions to this "rule").

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em - 09/17/02 05:53 PM
when should the origin of the word have a bearing on the pronunciation?

So it's OK to pronounce it "nucular"?

Posted By: musick Re: nuke'em - 09/17/02 06:07 PM
And I repeat... If the mispronouncer doesn't "know better" how long does it take 'til it no longer qualifies as a mispronouciation? [blank stare]

Posted By: Wordwind Re: nuke'em - 09/17/02 06:13 PM
NO, Faldage. It is NOT ok to pronounce it nucular. No way. Period. Not if you're the President of the US.

Dubya is screwing up. He's educated. He's the president. He should know better. And, if he doesn't, he has lots of advisors who should know better.

He is certainly intelligent enough to change his pronunciation from nucular to nuclear. (I hope he is, that is.) He can do this. Really. In the wink of an eye. It ain't hard. It's easy.

Now other people who do not have the resources close at hand that Dubya does--other people who don't even know they're mispronouncing nuclear--other people who really don't care about how they pronounce anything--well, that's different. I'll bet even you, Faldage, mispronounce a word every now and then--rarely, but mebbe once in a blue moon. I'll bet every single one of us on this board has screwed up some pronunciation out of the Great Dictionary in the Sky at some time. And I ain't criticizing that at all. You live and learn and all that jazz. But you do learn, you know?

But when it comes to the dadburn President of the United States holding onto a pronunciation just because he's too lazy or superior to want to set a good example, well, then I have to wonder about how lazy he is in other matters, too.

So, Faldage: It is NOT ok to pronounce nuclear : nucular if you're the President of the US.

And it is OK to pronounce nuclear "nucular" if you just don't know better and haven't realized you're pronouncing it incorrectly.

And if you know you should pronounce it "nuclear," but are pronouncing it "nucular" just because you enjoy making mincemeat of the language, then fine. That's just your eccentric bag.

Welcome, Madam Curie. Faldage is being a slippery snake today.

Posted By: Faldage Re: nuke'em - 09/17/02 06:22 PM
It ain't hard. It's easy.

Depends. For some people, yes. For others, no. And it's got nothing to do with intelligence.

Which thumb do you use to hit the space bar? Can you change? Easily?

And how many votes do you think Dubya's gonna lose because he can't pronounce nuclear right?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: nuke'em - 09/17/02 07:45 PM
It ain't hard. It's easy. WW

Depends. For some people, yes. For others, no. Slippery Snake Faldage

I ain't talkin' some people. I'm talkin' George W. Bush. See thread starter. WW

And it's got nothing to do with intelligence. SSF

Yes, it does has somethin' to do with intelligence. Cats can't say 'nuclear' and slugs can't either. Mebbe parrots can. Depends upon who's teachin' 'em. But this is George W. Bush's intelligence in question, and I think he has enough intelligence to make the switch easily. Give me five minutes with him. WW

Which thumb do you use to hit the space bar? Can you change? Easily? SSF

The above statement is a non sequitur. WW

And how many votes do you think Dubya's gonna lose because he can't pronounce nuclear right? SSF

Another non sequitur. We're not talkin' votes; we're talkin' givin' a speech in which the audience is sittin' there countin' on their fingers and thumbs--even the thumbs they don't use to press the space bar--how many times they've heard 'nucular' for 'nuclear.' WW

Five minutes. That's all I'm askin'. Five minutes.

Posted By: TEd Remington The GNC - 09/17/02 08:00 PM
This reminds me of an anecdote from the Carter Administration. Jimmy had just gotten back from a European grip and grin when he made an offhand reference to the GNC while talking to reporters.

They searched and they searched and could not find what GNC was an abbreviation for, so they asked his press secretary, who laughed heartily and said that Carter had been talking about a security problem involving the Aegean Sea.

Seriously, Faldage, a president who mispronounces a word as important as nuclear needs to be corrected. Those who hear it and abhor the mispronunciation tend to discount the other words in his message (if they even hear them at all.)

It's a disservice to the US of A and to the Presidency itself for his aides not to jump all over his skinny little butt to get him to say the word properly. I think they are allowing him to do it because they think it plays well with the good ol' boy image he stgrives so hard to maintain. Wither that or they are all pronouncing it nucular because the boss does. Which would mean Bill's right about not correcting the King.

And I don't think that happens. I just got finished reading Shadow, by Bob Woodward, and he reports dozens of instances where Presidents' aides take off the gloves and whale the hell out of each other (and the boss) but only in private. Now it may be that the climate of the current White House doesn't support that. After all, this is the first time in history where we've had an attorney general who wants to be referred to by the title "general".

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: the debate - 09/17/02 08:05 PM
In the interest of fairness and complete disclosure, I gotta stay out of this, being Faldage's better half. I can't help but hope, though, that y'all don't start calling him an ASp. Think of what that would do to my rep!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: the debate - 09/17/02 08:18 PM
ASp and SlipperyAsp [SAsp]...sounds like a perfect match!

ASp and SAsp...Forever!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: knuckle-ear - 09/17/02 08:51 PM
From henceforth, I declare, that anyone guilty of misclear unpronunciation will be the recipient of a knuckle-ear sandwich right quick!

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: nuke'em - 09/17/02 09:04 PM
Five minutes. That's all I'm askin'. Five minutes.

Use the chair!

P.S. "Slippery Snake Faldage"

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: nuke'em - 09/17/02 09:08 PM
One can be a descriptivist without defending or condoning sloppy usage, as one can be a prescriptivist and practice sloppy usage. Pronunciation shift is a part of language; discounting the contributions of someone whose usages do not match one's own only limits the holder of these prejudices.

"I seen the enemy, and they is us."

And, yet, if we continiue to use the "Dubya" for "double-you", we're all descrptivists, changing the language to suit the need and facilitating a permanency of that change through repetition, aren't we?

What about LBJ's..."Mah fellah Americans"? I know that's is just a matter of accent, but did it render him less intelligent in my eyes...no. Or the Kennedys' thick Boston accent? But I think you also have to know, and in a postition of influence, demonstrate that you know the rules before you break them, linguistically speaking (Creative Writing 101). If you want to write experimental poetry, fine. But, first, you should know and be able to work in the sonnet form before you abandon it. I do think that many politicians streamline their verbalization to reach their greatest perceived number of constituents. And all, of course, are given to the colloquialisms of everyday speech like the rest of us. Witness Dale Bumpers eloquent Daniel Webster-like oration to the Senate during the Clinton impeachment proceedings. If he spoke that way everyday in local Arkansas TV interviews he'd probably never get re-elected. However, I have always reacted to nucular as a mispronunciation...there's nothing there that merits change except for a lack of intellectual guidance, at the least. Not good form for presidents or kings or college professors, etc.

Welcome, Madame Curie...and thanks for discovering radium!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: nuke'em - 09/17/02 09:15 PM
Loo-uh-vul

Thanks, FF! All this time I've been trying to pronounce it right for Jackie and could only manage Lureville! Hey, Jackie!!! I'm hiring Fallible as my Loo-uh-vul dialect tutor!

Posted By: musick Re: nuke'em - 09/17/02 09:25 PM
Which thumb do you use to hit the space bar? Can you change? Easily? SSF

The above statement is a non sequitur. WW

I know a non sequitur when I see one, and that ain't one... neither (pronounced ny-ther) was the next one...

Posted By: Faldage Re: nucular/nuculus - 09/18/02 10:17 AM
First I apologize to Mme. Curie for missing her point about nuclear and nucleus. In my mad dash to jump on my horse and ride off in all directions I didn't notice that she was pointing out that you don't hear people saying nuculus for nucleus. There are at least two reasons for this. One of the reasons for the pronunciation nucular is that there is an extensive support system of other words ending in -cular, approximately four times as many as words ending in -culus given the relative numbers m-w.com gives when fed "*cular" versus "*culus". The other reason is that nuclear is considerably more common than nucleus with 7,410,000 google hits for nuclear versus 967,000 for nucleus. I suspect that if you listen you will hear nuculus, just not nearly as often as nucular.

The point of the thumb thing was that it is a set pattern in your muscles as is pronunciation.

As for intelligence having an effect on our ability to alter speech patterns learned early in life I have merely to point out that many otherwise intelligent people have great difficulty learning new languages after childhood and often those that do never speak it with a good accent. On the other hand, many people of average intelligence or below learn to speak foreign languages late in life and can speak like a native.

As for learning new pronunciations, the President of the United States has plenty more important things to worry about than how to pronounce nuclear. He could be coached for hours and practice saying "NOO-CLEE-ER" for hours and then have it all dissipate when he's up at the speaker's platform, as anyone who has experienced public speaking knows well.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: nucular/nuculus - 09/18/02 11:55 AM
Five minutes, Faldage. That's all I want. While he's brushing his teeth, for instance. He won't have to practice long. Honestly. After he spits out his toothpaste.

The thumb on space bar is muscular, true, as is speech. However, when we speak, we are actively engaging our minds. When we hit the space bar, we are using an automated response. I don't have to think "hit space bar" when I'm typing. I think of the words, type them out quickly, listen inwardly to the sound of the sentence I type, but I don't think "space" in between the words as I read over them. When I speak, however, I do think more consciously than when I hit the space bar. Carbohydrate, for instance. I used to pronounce it "carbohydrit" instead of "carbohy-drate". Somebody corrected me. So now when I speak the word carbohydrate, the little speech coach in my brain reminds me to employ the ATE sound instead of the IT one. (Who knows--carbohy'drit' may be an acceptable pronunciation by now. Thus progresses the language in its many-garbed parade of possible sounds.)

I still believe:

1. President Bush could quickly modify his pronunciation of 'nuclear'; if he cannot with a modicum of effort, well, at least he gave it a good shot (five minutes--honestly--while he's walking downstairs, for instance); learning to pronounce "nuclear" for President Bush would not be as hard or time-consuming as Faldage would have us believe;

2. Nuclear is an important word with important ramifications; it should be pronounced correctly;

3. Public speaking on a national level requires some discipline from its speakers, and they should attempt to use standard pronunciations when speaking on topics of importance;

4. Mispronunciations are somewhat different from allowances made for accent;

5. The mind is more consciously engaged when speaking to an audience than it is when hitting the space bar.

6. Yes, Faldage, President Bush is engaged in "more important" things than learning to tweak a pronunciation of a word. But he's not engaged in those more important things all of the time. He relaxes. He satisfies his curiosity. He reads. He yawns. He rides a horse or two. During those more relaxed times when he is exercising his curiosity about the language, he might think to tweak his pronunication of nuclear. I would never suggest that he so tweak when he's actively engaged in a crisis, just as I wouldn't try to tweak a pronunication problem of my own when I'm teaching.

Best regards,
WW

Posted By: Faldage Re: five minutes - 09/18/02 12:44 PM
Here ya go, Dub. Make you a nappointment.

president@whitehouse.gov

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: nucular/nuculus - 09/18/02 01:02 PM
. When I speak, however, I do think more consciously than when I hit the space bar. Carbohydrate, for instance. I used to pronounce it "carbohydrit" instead of "carbohy-drate". Somebody corrected me. So now when I speak the word carbohydrate, the little speech coach in my brain reminds me to employ the ATE sound instead of the IT one. (Who knows--carbohy'drit' may be an acceptable pronunciation by now. Thus progresses the language in its many-garbed parade of possible sounds.)

I agree, WW, that pronouncing a word correctly is a relatively minor habit to fix as opposed to a muscular reflex action like thumbing the space bar or being right or left-handed for that matter (and, BTW, Faldage, one can train themselves, in baseball, to be a switch hitter and to bat with both hands with a modicum of effort ).
I used to pronounce discombobulate as discom-boob-ulate (and I still like the latter better, dammit! ), but once I learned the error of my mispronunciation I immediately made the correction and have never lapsed back into the "boob" form unless it was intentional, because now I know it's wrong. Ditto hackneyed (pronounced hack-need)...I used to pronounce it hack-neyed as in eye. I think if Bush's error were brought to his attention he could correct it very quickly...but two things come to mind as to why this is not happening. 1. All his kiss-up staff and cronies have never pointed it out to him. 2. They caught it, but to correct it after his fluent use of the incorrect form would just highlight his linguistic foppery and provide fodder for columnists and the late night comics, so they prefer to just leave it alone....political expediency is the only approach these guys know or care about (they don't care about his intellectual stature or the example he sets for school children).

Hey...what we could all do is e-mail our favorite columnists (Dave Barry, Leonard Pitts Jr., Richard Cohen, Kathleen Parker, etc.) and point this situation out to them! Fight fire with fire, I always say!
(and be sure to send them the link to this thread! )

Posted By: Wordwind Re: five minutes - 09/18/02 01:41 PM
I wrote to President Bush, Faldage. This is what I wrote:

Dear President Bush:

Although I realize you have little spare time, I wish you would consider learning to pronounce "nuclear" correctly. When you give your speeches, you consistently mispronounce "nuclear" and your mispronunciation becomes a distraction from the content of your speeches. I have heard various people in your TV audience say that they were so distracted by your mispronunciation of "nuclear" that they couldn't concentrate on content; instead, they were counting the number of times you said 'nucular.'

I realize that people from different parts of the country speak with accents that do affect their pronunciation. However, when a person in your position speaks before audiences, I believe it is advisable to make sure that standard pronunciation is used so that the speaker is understood.

I am en elementary school teacher and I try to make sure that pronunciations I use in class are standard pronunciations. I also have a keen interest in how the language does change--how certain pronunciations that were not standard when I was young have become standard. However, in the case of "nuclear" your own pronunciation, which sounds like "nucular," creates the kind of distraction from content that I do not believe you would want. I am sure you want your audience to focus on your speech content rather than on a perhaps awkward mispronunciation. I write this suggestion respectfully. And, no, I do not believe you would lose one vote because you mispronounce "nuclear," but you would certainly gain some respect for pronouncing correctly an important word.

Best regards,
Theresa Ranson
Spring Run Elementary School
Chesterfield County Schools
Midlothian, VA

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: five minutes - 09/18/02 01:50 PM
DubyaDubya writes to Dubya. You gotta love it!

Posted By: Faldage Re: five minutes - 09/18/02 01:57 PM
Very good, Dub. I sincerely commend you for this action. I will have no more to say on the matter in this forum.

Posted By: musick Collective Consciousness - 09/18/02 04:16 PM
4. Mispronunciations are somewhat different from allowances made for accent;

As I have recently learned, history tells us that there are enough examples of how the pronunciation of the English and American Languages developed to prove that this statement is not sufficiently answering the question I posted twice earlier in this thread.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Collective Consciousness - 09/18/02 05:05 PM
And I repeat... If the mispronouncer doesn't "know better" how long does it take 'til it no longer qualifies as a mispronouciation? [blank stare]

Here ya go, moose, er, muse...

If someone lives in a dark hollow up in the mountains and the handful of folks he communicates with understand him, and if he doesn't know it's a mispronunciation and none of
the other folks know its a mispronunciation and use it back...then it beomes a new word. Enlarging on this scenario, it is increasingly difficult in the modern world to coin a change in usage without the bulk of your listeners knowing it's a mispronunciation. So if everybody starts using nucular, not knowing its incorrect, because their leader chooses that usage, then it becomes a word...but the fly in the ointment is, the rest of the English-speaking world would have to fall in line, too. Since most people are NOT going to start using nucular instead of nuclear, and most people, in this case, are going to know nuclear is the correct pronunciation, then Bush is incorrect and the prospects for nucular becoming the new word for nuclear are almost nil. This, of course, would have to apply on a word to word basis...but I don't see this happening on a large scale anymore. With the influence of the mass media the proper option is always evident. Language is just not as vulnerable to the old verbal "pass the message along" aberrations, anymore. So, musick, when does a mispronunciation become a new word in this modern technological culture?...not likely anymore. Although, in the same respect, the rapidity of new coinage now spreads with lightning-like fury.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: five minutes - 09/18/02 09:24 PM
You gotta love it!

I do.
Three cheers for DubDub the direct!

Now, what else does Bush say wrong?...

Posted By: wwh Re: five minutes - 09/18/02 09:44 PM
Why do college presidents never become President of US? Woodrow Wilson was president of
Princeton before he was elected President of US. His pronunciation was probably excellent but
that does not seem to have made him a great president.

Can it be that peerless pronunciation is not predictive of prestigious presindencies?

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: five minutes - 09/18/02 10:38 PM
Wilson wasn't all that bad a President. Certainly his successor was far worse.

Now, here are two trivia questions:

Who's the only union leader to become President?

Who's the only King to become President?

Both US presidents.

Posted By: wwh Re: five minutes - 09/18/02 10:44 PM
I remember Ronald Regan was president of actors' union, can't remember exact name.
A King who became president of US sounds trickier. Gotta ruminate that one.

Edit: A King who could have become President of the US:
William Rufus de Vane King, (1786-1853), 13th VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

Posted By: Faldage Re: five minutes - 09/19/02 10:10 AM
Who's the only King to become President?

Ooooh! Oooh, ooooh! I know! Pick me! Pick me!
Also the only President never to be elected to nationwide office.. Gerald Ford, né Leslie Lynch King, Jr.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: five minutes - 09/19/02 11:06 AM
Faldage,

Why did he change his name. Weird.

But so did Clinton.

Sounds like Hollywood.

Posted By: wwh Re: five minutes - 09/19/02 01:24 PM
Ford, Gerald R(udolph) (1913- ),
Early Life (((copied from Encarta encyclopedia, then excess deleted)))
Ford was born as Leslie Lynch King, Jr., in Omaha, Nebraska. In 1913 his mother, Dorothy, left her husband (they divorced in 1914) and took her son to live with her parents in Grand Rapids, Michigan. At a church function, she met Gerald R. Ford, whom she married in 1916. Although he never formally adopted Dorothy's son, Ford gave her child his name-Gerald Rudolph Ford, Jr. That name became the future president's legal name in 1935.

Posted By: musick Re: five minutes - 09/19/02 02:47 PM
Why did he change his name. Weird.

He was worried about the "right-to-life" issue. Lynch King

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: five minutes - 09/19/02 02:59 PM
the "curse" of being smart

Here's a quote from Bush's long-time crony and right-hand man which may point to a calculating dumbing-down of the President's persona:

"As people do better, they start voting like Republicans
-- unless they have too much education and vote Democratic,
which proves there can be too much of a good thing."

Karl Rove, Bush's Chief Strategist and Senior Advisor

It's the old "elitist intellectual" demonization thing...I guess that includes everyone here on this board.

So mebbe they actually advised him to deliberately mispronounce nuclear as nucular. 'Tis possible. Guys like Rove don't let much get past them, exspecially the little details.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: five minutes - 09/19/02 04:20 PM
exspecially

Heh

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: five minutes - 09/19/02 04:28 PM
exspecially

Yeah...that's the way that Daffy Duck would say it!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: five minutes - 09/19/02 06:03 PM
I wouldn't put it past Daffy Dubya, either.

Hey, can someone start a new thread, if there's anything more to say? We are encroaching upon 100 posts...

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: the nucleus of the matter? - 09/19/02 06:44 PM
I've got it! We've gotta get Dubya to say nucleus...if he says nuculous, we've got 'em!

© Wordsmith.org