Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Hip Sixties-isms - 08/28/02 09:37 PM
I was just thinking about all the hip coinage of the 60's...like "Let's roll!" that was mentioned. Also, "Later!", for instance, trimmed down from "I'll see you later on" to "later on" then simply "Later!" We could also include the more cliché catch-words and phrases like groovy, far out, out of sight, bummer, not my bag, rip-off, sock it to me...but that's enough from me for now. Remember... the 60's...not the '50's or '70's. How many can we get from all sides of the pond? Or does anybody care?

Posted By: consuelo Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/28/02 09:49 PM
Psychedelic, man!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/28/02 09:58 PM
I think we did this a while back, but I can't remember the thread name.

Anyway, I have a corny one a male guidance counselor used to use:

Know what I mean, jellybean?

It's probably not all that hip. I'm not hip and never have been, but I liked that phrase back in the 60s, just to show how out of it I was. I mean: way far out, and not "far out!" at all. There's a paradox for ya'!

WW

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/28/02 10:27 PM
One I can't stop using, even after all these decades, is cool.

Posted By: Verbarian Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/28/02 10:43 PM
One word I've observed mentioned is 'gnarly', which is generally synonymous with 'cool' or 'rad'. Another one from the 50's or 60's, I believe, is 'gone'. I inadvertantly discovered an ad for a 50's or 60's recipe, and found the word there. It also means 'far out' or 'rad'.

e.g.: Gnarly, dude!
e.g.2: That pie is totally gone!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/28/02 11:40 PM
That pie is totally gone!

Like, real gone!

Welcome, Varbarian!

Posted By: wwh Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 12:58 PM
Timothy Leary:"Tune in, Turn on and Drop out."

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 01:18 PM
from the late 60s SF scene: contact high (Fillmore West)

I brought back from a trip to SF (not a SF trip) a brass peace symbol on a leather thong, which I would wear to parties: token hippie : )

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 02:05 PM
One I can't stop using, even after all these decades, is cool.

But that is cool, Auntie - or at least it is over this side of the Pond, where 60s phrases and outfits (saw my 16-y-o cousin in a distinctly Mary Quant hat/outfit the other day) are coming right back in.

My 5-y-o son and 3-y-o daughter are already describing things as cool, so I expect the term will become such a natural part of their vocabulary they'll have to find another one when they hit their teens.

Another Carnaby Street special is Fab. Two years ago I would have felt a complete pillock saying something was "Fab". Now it's close to my favourite expression of approval, and I haven't yet been laughed at for using it (at least not to my face ). This might just be a regional thing - I live fairly close to (liberal) Brighton right in the Saath of England, so opinions of those in the frozen North would be interesting here.

Hi Rhub and dode!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 02:10 PM
grok

From Robert A. Heinlein's classic SF novel, Stranger in a Strange Land, where the main character, Michael Valentine Smith, an alien, teaches those on Earth to grok as a way of absorbing and understanding something, or someone.

from Bartleby's and The American Heritage Dictionary:

grok

PRONUNCIATION: grk
TRANSITIVE VERB: Inflected forms: grok·ked, grok·king, groks
Slang To understand profoundly through intuition or empathy.
ETYMOLOGY: Coined by Robert A. Heinlein in his Stranger in a Strange Land.

--------

Also: uptight, stoned, bad trip, keep on truckin', bad vibes, good vibes, cool it, spaced out

burn-out (as in, he's a real burn-out): this expression is an interesting study of the social mores among the younger folks of the time...it meant someone who stayed high all the time, usually using a vast array of drugs. It's semantic value is now difficult to explain if you weren't there, because most folks partied to a degree, even if just experimenting with pot, but nobody wanted to be a burn-out except for the burn-outs. Yet, there was no derision in the term, just a mild distancing...it wasn't really cool to be a burn-out, but burn-outs maintained their own cool and mystique in a strange sort of way and intermingled and partied with everybody else. But you would hear folks say things like, "Man, I ain't no burn-out!" Or, "I ain't doing that [drug], I ain't no burn-out." Or, "What are ya, some kind of burn-out!" And these were always accompanied with a laugh and/or a smile, and a definite twinkle in the eye.
Then "burned-out" also came to mean overextending your energy somewhere in the 70's.

And, then, of course, "burned-out" or "all burned-out" [on drugs] came to take on a more ominous tone as more peoples' lives began to shipwreck on substance abuse in the 70's.

Posted By: of troy Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 02:27 PM
Cool idea, Whit, but I don't know if i can trust any of the posts being made.. remember, Don't trust any one over thirty!
i am going to find my white go-go boots, and mini skirt.. or maybe i should go with a maxi, or bellbottomed jeans.. and water buffalo sandles.. I still have my "Frodo Lives" button.. and even my dylan lp.... (and a turn table! so there!) or i could tune my radio to station NYC and listen to Oscar Brand play the newest folk tunes on "Woody's Children" (actually i can still that last one!)

One strong memory of the late sixties for me was the song form HAIR, where i heard word i had never heard before! (given my strict catholic upbringing it was no wonder...)

Posted By: of troy Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 02:27 PM
Cool idea, Whit, but I don't know if i can trust any of the posts being made.. remember, Don't trust any one over thirty!
i am going to find my white go-go boots, and mini skirt.. or maybe i should go with a maxi, or bellbottomed jeans.. and water buffalo sandles.. I still have my "Frodo Lives" button.. and even my dylan lp.... (and a turn table! so there!) or i could tune my radio to station NYC and listen to Oscar Brand play the newest folk tunes on "Woody's Children" (actually i can still that last one!)

One strong memory of the late sixties for me was the song from HAIR, where i heard word i had never heard before! (given my strict catholic upbringing it was no wonder...)

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 02:33 PM
My problem is getting my bell bottom into the jeans!

Posted By: FishonaBike grokked out - 08/29/02 02:55 PM
grok
How could we forget, Juan?
Originally the Martian word for "drink" I believe.

And, then, of course, "burned-out" or "all burned-out" [on drugs] came to take on a more ominous tone as more peoples' lives began to shipwreck on substance abuse in the 70's.
I've heard the term "gouching" used to describe people totally blissed out and unconcerned by the world, but definitely with negative connotations. Implies a slack-jawed out-of-it state. Anyone know if that was a 60s term? I suspect it's more 70s heroin abuse territory.

"Man, I ain't no burn-out!" would have a modern equivalent (dunno if this is UK only) of "I'm not a stoner!"

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 02:57 PM
My problem is getting my bell bottom into the jeans!

[snorted coffee]

Thanks, TEd!

Posted By: wwh Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 03:14 PM
Originally the term "beat" meant "weary", but it was later
connected to jazz music like the "hip" vocabulary and cool manners of the
Counter Culture artists´. "Beat" also appeared in Norman Mailer's essay
The White Negro (1957): 'The words are man, go, put down, make, beat,
cool, swing, with it, crazy, dig, creep, hip, square.' Several magazines
published articles on the Beats and lexicons of their jargon. Teenage
followers were called 'beatniks" -

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 03:30 PM
Man, like, I can dig it, Dr. Bill!

Yeah, I guess the Beat Movement continued into the early 60's and the lingo crept into the hip jargon of the decade, co-opted by the hippies who had metamorphosed from the Beatniks. (why do we always spell hippie with a small "h" and Beatnik with a capital "B"?)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 03:50 PM
But that is cool, Auntie

Thanks, my dearest young Fishling. Better to be safe than never. Or something.

Posted By: wwh Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 03:53 PM
Speaking of not trusting anybody over thirty, I remember a radio program of
Allen Ginsberg meeting a notable English literary Dame, whose name I forget. Her
first words to him were: "My, you do smell."

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 03:53 PM
(why do we always spell hippie with a small "h" and Beatnik with a capital "B"?)

I dunno, Juan. Maybe for the same reason 'hep' transmorgrified [sic] into 'hip'?
...whatever that is...

Posted By: sjm Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 08:20 PM
>Another Carnaby Street special is Fab. Two years ago I would have felt a complete pillock saying something was "Fab". Now it's close to my favourite expression of approval,

Great to hear sweetie dahling, now pass the bolly!

Posted By: wwh Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 08:53 PM
Dear sjm: You have led me to the solution of a mystery. Quite a few years ago
I used to prowl through hundreds of acres of forest surrounding a public water supply.
There were empty houses still standing in a few places. One of them had a very
decrepit Chick Sale, with an elaborate enamelled blue and white street sign
"Carnaby Street". I could not imagine what significance it had.
Your post promptem me to search and find origin of that name. Thanks

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/29/02 10:55 PM
Great to hear sweetie dahling, now pass the bolly!

Oh absolutely sweetie - and don't forget the Stolly..

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/abfab/ is the "official site" apparently, but really the program has to be seen, folks )

Posted By: lapsus linguae Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/30/02 01:13 AM
from my hazy recollection of "A Stranger In Strange" (i read it in the 70's) the term GROK was used to describe the custom the Aliens had of eating the remains of friends or family who had died. This was a sign of great respect and their way of understanding that person totally.
p.s one of Heinlen's better reads

Posted By: lapsus linguae Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/30/02 01:17 AM
sum day i'l edet ma posts before i send thum

Posted By: consuelo Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/30/02 03:41 AM
Write on, lapsus linguae!

Posted By: consuelo Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/30/02 03:42 AM
Oh, wait, that should have been "Right on!".

Posted By: Jackie Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/30/02 04:12 PM
sum day i'l edet ma posts before i send thum
Nah, don't bother, we love you just the way you are![hug] Well, I know I've got S in a S L here somewhere, and of course now that I want it...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/30/02 04:18 PM
write on lapsus pennae.

Posted By: dodyskin Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/30/02 08:59 PM
Don't trust any one over thirty!

I don't trust any of you, in fact I don't believe this entire thread.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 02:48 AM
Wise girl. Don't sweat it man, it'll be cool ...

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 03:44 AM
Hey, Cap! What's happenin'?! (now that's a definite interrobang)

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 04:04 AM
Another Carnaby Street special is Fab.

This also brings to mind mod, whch over here in the US simply meant a type of fashion. But after seeing The Who's movie Quadrophenia I realized that in Britain it was actually a youth social cult, The Mods, very seriously at odds, to the point of violence, with other youth sects. And, yet, after all these years, I've never been quite clear about the reasons for the divisions in the youth-groups there at that time...the closest analogy I can come up with here in the US is the hippies and the greasers (which were categorized as all the slick-backed hair, 50's style guys and gals)...but they just kind of let each other be here, no push for violence or anything like that)...could anyone from across the Atlantic pond elaborate a bit on The Mods for us?

Posted By: slithy toves Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 01:19 PM
Hippies:Greasers::Mods:Rockers

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 03:57 PM
But the mods, greasers and rockers came well before the hippies. And those movements left no linguistic legacy that I can find, although Rhuby, who was old when the mods were out on their scooters in their roll-neck sweaters and screwed-down hairdos, may be able to shed more light on that than I ...

For information about what the mods and the rockers were, Juan, I sugguest you read this excellent discussion:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A707627

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 06:19 PM
Mods/Rockers

Thanks, Cap! That fills in the vagaries for me!

I found this a bit curious, though: For everyday wear, turned up Levi’s became de rigueur, often shrunk to size by being worn in the bath.
Huh? We used to buy new Wranglers or Levis for 5 or 6 bucks (and sometimes cheaper on sale...ah, those were the days!), and then wash 'em, bleach 'em, drag 'em through the dirt, and stomp on 'em to give 'em that "faded, lived-in" look. But wearing 'em in the bath? I don't think so! (I always wore Wranglers, BTW, jeans and jacket).

Side note: Hey! There's a fish on a bike in the banner logo to the site you linked, Cap! Hmmm...what's up with that Shona?

Posted By: wwh Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 06:35 PM
Dear WO'N: some of that passion for worn garments started in the services, when
the old-timers prized shirts and trousers tastefully faded, and sometimes steeped
in coffee if too bleached, because nobody could mistake them for rookies.

Posted By: solrep Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 06:46 PM
It's always been my understanding that the peace symbol was originally the symbol for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament and was based on semaphore for CND. Anyone verify this or was it told to me by a delusional boy scout? I imagine war protesters in the fifties were occasionally referred to as a bunch of boy scouts.

Carpe whatever
Posted By: wwh Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 07:42 PM
I found a site about the Peace Symbol of the fifties:
Peace Sign - The Peace Action Symbol was
designed on February 21, 1958 for use in the first
Aldermaston Easter Peace Walk in England. The
symbol is the composite semaphore signal for the
letters 'N' and 'D' standing for Nuclear Disarmament.

The semaphore symbol for "N" has both flags lowered to forty five degrees.
The semaphore symbol for "D" has one flag overhead, the other at the feet of the signalman.

To me the joke was that the circle with vertical bar, and the symmetrical slanting bars
looked very much like a huge bomber aircraft.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 08:11 PM
I found this a bit curious, though: For everyday wear, turned up Levi’s became de rigueur, often shrunk to size by being worn in the bath.
Huh? We used to buy new Wranglers or Levis for 5 or 6 bucks (and sometimes cheaper on sale...ah, those were the days!), and then wash 'em, bleach 'em, drag 'em through the dirt, and stomp on 'em to give 'em that "faded, lived-in" look. But wearing 'em in the bath? I don't think so! (I always wore Wranglers, BTW, jeans and jacket).

Yaha. You woulda been a rocker. Suits you! The idea was that since during the sixties the jeans were made of denim that hadn't been preshrunk, if you wore them in a warm (hot) bath they would shrink to figure-hugging tightness, which was part of the mod look. Very de rigeur. To some extent the hippy look - in Britain anyway - was a sartorial backlash against the mod look.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 09:22 PM
tight jeans

Yeahbut®, we were into tight jeans, too, Cap. Even the bell- bottoms had to be tight till they flared out at the bottom. Just never wore 'em in a tub to shrink 'em (but mebbe some the of ladies did and just didn't tell anybody...knew a few gals who whose jeans were so tight we used to say that if they got any tighter they'd suffocate...'course, we didn't mind! )

into; get into; I can't get into that There's another Sixties' lingual gem that's come to stay!

Posted By: sjm Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 10:06 PM
In reply to:

(why do we always spell hippie with a small "h" and Beatnik with a capital "B"?)

Maybe so the latter isn't taken as a command.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 10:12 PM
spellings?

Another spelling question: hippie or hippy? I see it both ways...but I think the "-ie" is the original spelling. Yippie and yuppie is always the "ie" suffix.

But, then, George Carlin was "The Hippy Dippy Weatherman", so I dunno...

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 08/31/02 11:05 PM
I searched for the thread that was here a while back and found it. Let's see whether this works:

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wordplay&Number=42845&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1

Edit WARNING: Don't click on that link if you didn't like all the hippopotamus mess that went on.

Best regards,
WordWalrus See, I've mended my ways.
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 09/01/02 02:13 AM
the hippoheadamus mess

Hey, Dub-Dub...how much for for a nickel bag of that stuff? 'Cause whatever you were smokin', I want some!

Posted By: lapsus linguae Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 09/04/02 01:58 AM
i was told that if you could remember the 60's you weren't really part of them.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 09/04/02 02:27 AM
You "were told"? So does that mean you WERE part of them? <grin> (Mercy, I'm so glad you're here!)

Posted By: lapsus linguae Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 09/05/02 01:34 AM
Jackie
i can't really recall. *g*

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Hip Sixties-isms - 09/05/02 02:37 AM
I can't remember if I remember the 60's.

I can remember not remembering the 60's.

I remembered not to rememeber the 60'...or the early 70's either!

I remembered the 60's for awhile...but then I forgot I remembered it.

I remember all of the 60's!...but I forgot where I put it.

Man, all this remembering is a real drag!

...what a drag, kind of a drag.

(my memory of the 60's is actually very vivid...my 60's didn't start happening until about '69-'70 or so...)

Posted By: hev How are those Hips, Sixties?-isms - 09/05/02 04:09 AM
my 60's didn't start happening until about '69-'70

Which would make you about 93. My, but you are spritely!

© Wordsmith.org