Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dodyskin okay, heres a quiz - 06/19/02 10:56 PM
you have two days to find out what minging means

answer will be posted on friday
all done and dusted but i was just sent these links, the sensitive should steer clear

http://www.mingers.com/
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/review/370297.html
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Minger_20Defence_20System

Posted By: wwh Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/19/02 11:42 PM
Dear dodyskin: I searched for "British slang minging" and found this:

minging
Drunk, painful, disgusting, as in "I was totally minging last
night" or "My head is really minging".

Posted By: wwh Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/19/02 11:43 PM
Dear dodyskin: here's a question for you: What does "retromingent" mean?

If your dictionary doesn't have it, try this one:

http://onlinedictionary.datasegment.com/alphabet/A/

Posted By: slithy toves Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/19/02 11:59 PM
Is it the same as if spelled mingeing?

Posted By: wwh Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/20/02 12:10 AM
Dear Slithy: Naw, I just picked that one because dodyskin's word reminded me of it. You could use the dictionary URL also. Bill

Posted By: inselpeter Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/20/02 01:26 AM
Is the word an anglocized native of Argentina?

Posted By: dodyskin Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/20/02 10:44 AM
nope, originated in scotland but meant a different thing there

Posted By: milum Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/20/02 11:11 AM
I got it! With wwh's help and deduction.

Retromingent : An animal that discharges its urine backward.

Therefore...

Minging : A person in the act of discharging his urine forward.

Life is simple if you pay attention to the clues.

Milum.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/20/02 11:43 AM
Well, I didn't find anything on wwh's link that hit the nail on the head, urinating or otherwise, for the verb "to minge." There wasn't anything on a plausible, but apparently non-existent verb "to ming."

There was an obsolate verb "to minge" meaning to mingle or to mix. I take this to be a social meaning.

Could this social mingling be the minging that you're talking about, not that the urinary application isn't also plausible?

However, we speak of a person who's had too much to drink as being "pissed," so wwh's original application of "minging" way up at the top of the thread still makes the drunken/pissed/urination connections all come together.

But I like best the obsolete minging for social mingling the best.

Posted By: wwh Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/20/02 01:24 PM
Minging miseries include micturition with trousers up and zipped. Ancient joke about guy trying to tell his wife his pants were wet because a guy in bar spilled beer in his lap. Wife said the guy must also have been a magician, because he shit in your pants.

Posted By: dodyskin Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/20/02 02:47 PM
minge and ming mean quite different things, be careful with that one as one meaning of minge is, well, a ladys most private possession.

Posted By: wwh Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/20/02 03:10 PM
Dear dodyskin: I searched for "Scottish minging" and found a dozen sites, none of which dealt with 'the promised land." But I did find one that was both scatological as well as pudendal:

>I'm most pleased that you have started saying the
>quant old Scottish term 'shite', as it was me that
>used it often on the Scottish Unbroken site. Please
>try to spread this word as much as possible - here are
>some more: doss cunt (a stupid cunt); dobber (a cock);
>radge (a faggot);ned (a stupid arsehole); jobby (a
>shite); minging/honking (stinking). Thanks.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/20/02 03:21 PM
minge and ming mean quite different things, be careful with that one as one meaning of minge is, well, a ladys most private possession.

Then perhaps "minging" is something straight men and lesbians do to straight women and lesbians, respectively?!

I was thinking it must have something to do with the vases....[humble-e] [KIDDING-e!]

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.
Posted By: milum Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/20/02 05:14 PM
Hmmm...this is a tough one...a ladys most private possession? Let's see...a sharp tongue? Naw...well the victorian in me wants to say... - her hair. But no! in today's world , it's probably a less subtle part of her anatomy, like her... But no! you can't be possessive of a part of your own anatomy so it must be a part of her boyfriend's, or maybe even her husband's, anatomy...like in that novelty song by Chuck Berry...

My ming-a-ling, my ming-a-ling,
My ming-a-ling is the cutest little thing.

No... little thing doesn't sound quite right...uh, a high limit credit card?...mmmmm...Hey Dodyskin! Can we have an extension? Maybe until next Monday?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/20/02 06:23 PM
Dody,

I know exactly what you're referring to for the lady with the word minge, and it's an old term and not one to be used in polite company.

But you are losing me on minging. Other than that obsolete mingling definition that you're obviously not looking for.

Since there are several documented definitions of minging, could you provide a general field for us to explore further to narrow down the particular definition you want us to find?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/20/02 06:41 PM
Minge (v. t.) To mingle; to mix.

Minge (n.) A small biting fly; a midge.

Minging (p. pr. & vb. n.) p. pr. & vb. n.
1. of Mince

Mince \Mince\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Minced; p. pr. & vb. n. Minging.] [AS. minsian to grow less, dwindle, fr. min small; akin to G. minder less, Goth. minniza less, mins less, adv., L. minor, adj. (cf. Minor); or more likely fr. F. mincer to mince, prob. from (assumed) LL. minutiare. ????. See Minish.] 1. To cut into very small pieces; to chop fine; to hash; as, to mince meat. --Bacon.

2. To suppress or weaken the force of; to extenuate; to palliate; to tell by degrees, instead of directly and frankly; to clip, as words or expressions; to utter half and keep back half of.

I know no ways to mince it in love, but directly to say -- ``I love you.'' --Shak.

Siren, now mince the sin, And mollify damnation with a phrase. --Dryden.

If, to mince his meaning, I had either omitted some part of what he said, or taken from the strength of his expression, I certainly had wronged him. --Dryden.

3. To affect; to make a parade of. [R.] --Shak.

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=minging

From the above citations, I would gather that minging and mincing had once been closely related. But minging in the above in the sense of "to mince" is also obsolete.

Would someone please comment on the third definition above: to affect .... immediately followed by the cryptic "to make a parade of"?

Oh, and for the record, in OneLookdictionary, only three references included minging--that's three out of over 700.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Porcine ablution? - 06/21/02 02:27 AM
Why does this whole thread sound like an informal Hogwash round? :-) Is it time to try it again officially?

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/21/02 03:30 PM
No... little thing doesn't sound quite right...uh, a high limit credit card?...

milum, you slay me! your whole post....

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.
Posted By: dodyskin Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/22/02 11:32 PM
sorry, still recovering from drowning my sorrows on Friday. will post something enlightening tomorrowish

Posted By: Geoff Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/23/02 01:37 AM
MinGing? Oh, yeah, it's the name of my Chinese girlfriend.

Posted By: stales Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/23/02 01:08 PM
Knew a girl once called Mary Hinge......

stales

Posted By: Geoff Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/23/02 03:07 PM
Knew a girl once called Mary Hinge......
Was she double jointed? When she left, were you unhinged? When she took up druidism, did you call her StoneHinge?

Posted By: dodyskin Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/25/02 09:24 PM
right, not had much chance to think about this, ive not been too well so here is my attempt at a definition, though i think milums is better.

minging- 1. repulsive or dirty, particularly smelly
2. disappointingly unpleasant- 'we went to that new restaurant last night, it looks lovely but it was minging'.
ming- a bad smell or rotten and damp matter
minger- an person who seems attractive but is is fact in possession of a deeply unpleasant character.
mingus- the worst you can imagine something to be

Posted By: slithy toves Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/25/02 10:25 PM
mingus- the worst you can imagine something to be

Well, I have to say Charles Mingus was the best at what he did.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: okay, heres a question - 06/25/02 11:58 PM
Dody, where'd you dig up those definitions? In other words, what was your source?

Eager to know,
WW

Posted By: dodyskin Re: okay, heres a question - 06/29/02 05:45 PM
simple, i like to get back to basics with language and ask english speakers to define the words they use. it often throws up interesting results. to define ming i simply asked about twenty people from manchester and emailed a few of my expat mates to tell me their first impulses when thinking of the word. not very scientific but, hey, ive come to learn not to teach. ;) hope you like me word

Posted By: dodyskin Re: okay, heres a quiz - 06/29/02 05:50 PM
i know i know, an unfortunate development, when helena christensen announced the name of her child was to be mingus and that she wanted to send him to school in england my heart went out to the poor little mommet, if there was ever a name to get you teased at school that was it.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: okay, heres a question - 06/29/02 09:11 PM
<<I simply asked about twenty people from Manchester>>

Manchestrocentrism if ever I saw it -- what special authority do they have? Or as they say in Argentina, "Minga!"

Posted By: dodyskin Re: okay, heres a question - 06/30/02 09:36 PM
Manchestrocentrism if ever I saw it -- what special authority do they have? Or as they say in Argentina, "Minga!"

manky all the way darling, im just lazy i spose ;)

© Wordsmith.org