Wordsmith.org
Posted By: graceusa hyphen in last names - 06/18/02 01:43 PM
I would like to know the origin of hyphenated last names.

Grace Norman
Colorado USA
Posted By: FishonaBike Re: hyphen in last names - 06/18/02 02:13 PM
the origin of hyphenated last names

Welcome aBoard, Grace!

I'd always thought that multiple surnames were simply the result of marriages where there was a desire to retain both (or all) surnames. The old standard (changing these days) was that the woman would by default forfeit her maiden name, but what if that name belonged to a highly-regarded family? Then the woman may want to adopt a new combined surname. The couple may then decide to pass that name on to their children.

I believe in legal terms children can have whatever surname (as well as first name) the parents choose. So even if the parents didn't decide they wanted to merge surnames until children arrived, they could do so then. In fact if you wanted to call your child whatever you wanted, even if it had no relation at all to any family names, you could do so. Scary really

Fisk

P.S. Incidentally over this side of the Pond we'd talk about "double-barrelled" rather than "hyphenated" names. Anybody else familiar with these terms?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: hyphen in last names - 06/18/02 05:50 PM
Welcome, also, Grace.

"Double-barrelled" names? No, never heard of 'em, but it's a great term and should be used as often as possible.

Do you also refer to hyphenated words as being double-barrelled? Rootin'-tootin' in rootin'-tootin' cowboy seems a natural candidate for a double-barrelled word. I don't know that it's hyphenated, but.

Posted By: musick Hyphenamed - 06/18/02 07:04 PM
Great name (Grace, that is)!

Your hyphen question makes me think (as is the usual use of hyphen) that when I say "Olivia Newton-John" what I'm really saying is Olivia John of the Newton variety!

Posted By: slithy toves Re: Hyphenamed - 06/18/02 07:47 PM
My welcome as well, Grace. Hope you decide to stick around.

No doubt the trend toward hyphenated names in the US is a product of our growing sensitivity to gender equality. After all, if a married woman decides to keep her maiden/birth [choose one] name, why shouldn't her children get to keep both names? The obvious flaw in this practice arises when offspring from two such families marry. Will their kids be saddled with four names and three hyphens?

I get the idea that the double-name situation in the UK is altogether different. I'll welcome a correction from one of our friends from the mother country, but it's my guess that sometime in the past two prominent families, joined by marriage, felt the need to seal the bond with a double-barreled moniker. The Prince of Wales's girlfriend has one of these names, and I've noticed references to yound Prince William being linked with a number of young women with similar tags. To the American ear (at least to this pair) these hyphens suggest just a dash of elegance. But then let's not forget Mandy Rice-Davies. Colorful, but not exactly elegant.

Posted By: consuelo Re: hyphen in last names - 06/19/02 01:27 AM
Hi Grace and welcome to the madhouse . I'm sure there are as many answers to this question as there are people or cultures that use more than one surname for their children whether they be hyphenated or no. You might be interested in checking this link to a previous thread:

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wordplay&Number=53866

Posted By: belMarduk Re: hyphen in last names - 06/19/02 01:51 AM
Hi Graceusa, welcome on Board.

Here is a hyphenating rule I don't quite understand. In French Québec, if a street is named after a person the name will take a hyphen if the person is dead and none if he/she is alive. Eg. René-Levesque street in Montréal is named after a former prime minister who passed away.

It is such an odd rule that most people don't even bother with the hyphens when writing out addresses.

Posted By: wwh Re: hyphen in last names - 06/19/02 02:11 AM
Here is a URL to UCBerkeley.edu site with a long series of posts about experiences with hyphenated names"

http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/parents/hyphenated.html

Posted By: musick Space, the final frontier - 06/19/02 03:10 PM
I had thought that it might be a computer related requirement, as a lot of databases do not accept a blank space as a valid character to store. The hyphen may prevent the data from being stored as one squished word. I see nothing wrong with having two separate names as a "last name", but then one would have to call them "last names".

Posted By: dodyskin double barrelled surnames - 06/19/02 10:42 PM
one reason for double barrels is good old snobbery. if an aristocratic woman was from a better family or had a 'better' family name part of her dowry could be to bring that name to her new family. examples include the wentworths, the remingtons, and my old dear ancestors the lockharts. another reason could be an indicator of estates owned or regions ruled over. a good example of this is brendas original name saxe-coburg, the names of the two royal duchys the queen is descended from, in what is now germany. many aristocrats have two names, their family name; essex, buckingham, wellington, and their fathers name. remember estates do not always go from father to son. of course the estimable english middle classes cottoned on to this some time ago and many people of the aspirational class have hyphenated their surnames simply to look 'posh'.

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: Hyphenamed - 06/21/02 11:32 AM
I get the idea that the double-name situation in the UK is altogether different. I'll welcome a correction

Only slightly different really, slithy, as per my previous post on this thread. The common factor is that - for whatever reason - the wife-to-be wants to retain her maiden name (incidentally, am I right in thinking that this terminology is frowned upon? Why so?), and the husband-to-be is happy for her to do so. Any kids take on the double-barrelled name, thus giving explicit credit to their family tree on both sides.

You do get the odd triple-barrelled name, but far more commonly the least valued additions will be dropped. Of course the least valued addition may be the woman's or the man's birth-name these days. And really even in the old days, if a lower-ranking man married someone like a princess or queen, you'd hardly expect her to drop her surname, which may, of course, be double-barrelled already.

As a side-note, my wife has retained her maiden name, and for a number of reasons we've given our kids her surname rather than mine. People can struggle with this one, but I've become used to being referered to as if her surname was mine. A little way for social evolution to go yet, eh?

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Hyphenamed - 06/21/02 03:42 PM
Hey Fish, your exposé of double-barrelled last names, ending with the last name your children use, reminds me of an article I read somewhere (uhhh, think it might have been in Maclean's, "Canada's news magazine!"): the young couple took each other's names, both of 'em did. Can't remember the names in question, but here's how it went:

Bryan Smith was marrying Lydia Jones, so they became the Smith-Joneses, and he was Brian Smith-Jones and she was Lydia Smith-Jones.

Think that was how they arranged it (ie, I don't think the woman's surname went first). The article was written by the wife, who said that people they met were surprised that her husband had taken her name as well, resulting in their both being hyphenated.

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.
Posted By: Geoff Re: Hyphenamed - 06/22/02 02:28 PM
her maiden name (incidentally, am I right in thinking that
this terminology is frowned upon? Why so?),

Once upon a time the term maiden implied virgin. Nowadays, by the time a girl gets married she's rarely a "maiden," so the term is now obsolete.

Posted By: FishonaBike "Maiden" Name - 06/25/02 03:59 PM
Once upon a time the term maiden implied virgin

Indeed, Geoff, but that was "once upon a time". If someone told me that their (or someone else's) maiden name was such-and-such, I'd know exactly what they meant. But no way would that tell me anything about the married person's sexual activities (or lack of them) prior to marriage. In fact I would have to be a little deranged as well as antiquated to take it as saying anything about that.

Well, "deranged" I can take.

I suppose we're back to Political Correctness again.

[rant]
Proof, if such were required, that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Why should we allow a supposedly superior minority to dictate what we can and can't say?
[/rant]

Ah well, I live in hope that good sense will prevail.

Fisk

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: "Maiden" Name - 06/26/02 01:11 AM
Hey Fish -

Like you, I gots no problem with it being called a "maiden name."

I also gots no problem with the first name being referred to as the "Christian" name - however, it don't seem to make much sense these days, when "Christian" names are so often NOT blatantly, er, "Christian." Instead of the ol' standbys from the Bible, there seem to be a lot of:

Tiffanys
Brandys
Cliffs
Kents
Clints

etc.

Anyway, "Christian" name don't apply to Jews and Muslims (or any followers of any other religions), so it seems inappropriate for that reason.

Interesting, though: it's not unusual for people to decide to go by their middle name rather than their first - which stymies people who want to ask, "What is your first name?"

I once dated a feller whose name was Greg. One day I asked him what his middle name was, and he said, "Gregory." I went blonde in a heartbeat and said, "You mean your name is Gregory Gregory?" Noooo. His name was David Gregory.

So why don't people give their children first names that they are going to use? Why didn't his parents call him "Gregory David"? What's up with that?!

Posted By: FishonaBike Re: "Maiden" Name - 06/27/02 09:46 AM
So why don't people give their children first names that they are going to use?

Because parents never do anything right, MG

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: "Maiden" Name - 06/27/02 12:06 PM
I have neighbors who combined their last names to make a new one: Young and Baer became Youngbaer. that's the name the entire family uses now. I don't know if they had to do anything legally to make the change.

Posted By: Keiva Re: "Maiden" Name - 06/27/02 01:49 PM
Young and Baer became Youngbaer

As opposed to the combination Baeryoung, suitable for use when the couple contemplates having children?

Posted By: wwh Re: "Maiden" Name - 06/27/02 02:41 PM
Keiva: you are persona non grata anywhere on AWADtalk.

Posted By: of troy Re: "Maiden" Name - 06/27/02 04:42 PM

See
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=73423

Go away Keiva, you are not wanted here.

Posted By: FishonaBike Combined name - 06/28/02 10:36 AM
the name the entire family uses now. I don't know if they had to do anything legally to make the change

Yeah, as I said above, I don't believe it's a problem calling kids whatever you want (including surname) - you just register their names accordingly. As regards the parents, there would normally be some legalities involved (you change your name by "Deed Poll" in the UK), probably slightly more straightforward for the woman than the man due to the relevant authorities/companies having had more practice on that front (total supposition, this, but bet I'm right ).

Once the couple have changed their names, they then need to notify everybody with whom they ever have dealings, especially banks. So give it another year or so for the name changes to percolate through for both the man and the woman. Then even junk mail will start coming through with the right names. Maybe.

I have a friend who wanted to change his surname and adopted a far more cheap and straightforward route - he simply declared to all and sundry his wish to be known as the new name. This doesn't seem to have presented him with any problems, even with banks etc. And he doesn't get post addressed to his old name with "k/a newname" next to it, either, which surprised me a bit.

Fisk

Posted By: wow Re: "Maiden" Name - 06/28/02 08:45 PM
I get around it by using first, middle and last name!

So why don't people give their children first names that they are going to use?

An anecdote. My mother was names Josephine Mildred. When the boys in the family started calling her "Jo" her mother put her foot down declaring with nine sons she wanted her daughter called by a girl's name not a boy's name. Thereafter and all her life she was Mildred. It became her legal signature as she used Mildred J. all her life.

In Scotland - if a female is the last of her name her husband may take her name in order to perpetuate an ancient lineage - after, of course, obtaining permission of the Standing Council of Chiefs.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: "Maiden" Name - 06/29/02 05:07 AM
I have remembered me why it was that that man was called David Gregory, rather than Gregory David: it was to do with initials. His parents were Catholics and were concerned that people (perhaps especially cruel contemporaries in the schoolyard) would take the GD combination to mean "God Damn."

But can you ever be that careful, really? You might not see a bad acronym arising (like a bad moon rising, only less so). My mother's initials, for example, are PMS. There is NO WAY her parents could have foreseen what that would come to stand for....

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: PMS - 06/29/02 01:13 PM
Heh ~ my mom's maiden name was Berneice Mortenson, and she was a nurse... so every time she initialled patient charts, this one's especially for you, Dr. Bill they had a BM.

Posted By: dodyskin deed poll - 06/29/02 05:53 PM
yes, a weird and ancient law allows one to simply declare a change in name in this country with no need to apply to official quarters, strange and pretty cool i think.

Posted By: wwh Re: deed poll - 06/29/02 07:46 PM
A lawyer told me you could use any name you wanted to, so long as it was not to deceive or defraud.
However since then there are so many things for which a legal name is required, that failing to get
a legal name change could cause one many serious headaches. Social security, driver's license,bank accounts insurance, etc. etc etc.

Posted By: slithy toves Re: Hyphenamed - 06/30/02 12:37 PM
Reverting to the original thread:

If Yo-Yo Ma married Erica Jong, and they decided to use both names, he could be Yo-Yo Ma-Jong. Think of it!

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Hyphenamed - 06/30/02 04:28 PM
<<Think of it!>>

Must we?

;)

Posted By: Keiva Re: deed poll - 07/01/02 06:37 PM
A lawyer told me you could use any name you wanted to, so long as it was not to deceive or defraud.

Correct. While looking up something else I quite by accident stumbled across a case noting thus (with 11 citations):

... under the common law (which is recognized both by Illinois and by the federal courts in this regard), a person may adopt a new name without resorting to the courts, and may even use his birth name again after having adopted a new name for a period of time. A party may properly effect legal process under any name so assumed. Indeed, a person who is known by two different names may use either name in legal process without affecting its validity, even if the name used is not his "true" name.

Posted By: wwh Re: deed poll - 07/01/02 07:17 PM
Keiva: You started a flame war, and would not quit.
You got re-instated by threats of a lawsuit.
You will never be welcome in AWADtalk.
I used to like and admire you, but now I despise you.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Hyphenamed - 07/03/02 03:19 AM
slithy, you remind me of another strange pairing:

If Snoop Doggy Dog married Winnie-the-Pooh, would he then become Snoop Doggy Dog Pooh?

Posted By: wwh Re: Hyphenamed - 07/03/02 10:43 PM
Dear MG: Winnie the Pooh may be a Bear of little brain, but not so little as to
commit matrimony with a bitch, let alone a dog. No hyphen-hitch conceivable.
As the Frenchman said they are both inconceivable.

Posted By: lukaszd Re: hyphen in last names - 07/04/02 06:46 AM
This is not exactly or rather not at all about hyphenated names but I won't let such a tiny detail stop me:

In Poland, as in most of the various countries around the world, I presume, the proper way of introducing oneself by the whole legal name is:

[first|given] name, {last|sur}name

(forgive my programming-language-like notation). I'm not talking about directories but just about introductions or referring to somebody else, like I'm Lukasz Drejer, for example, and I don't like to and won't ever say it in reverse no, I don't mean rejerD zsukaL.

...but not in Hungary! Last names precede given names there even in the TV subtitles denoting the speaker's identity! Bela Bartok is known among his own countryfolk as Bartok Bela, Liszt Franz his company! For a Pole this looks/sounds strange, how's that for you?

Or maybe anybody heard about some other folk who do the same?

Lukasz

Posted By: modestgoddess Re: Hyphenamed - 07/04/02 06:49 AM
Bill, speaking of conceiving........at lunch today with friends, we were joking about the most Canadian way to have a baby. The discussion began when a girlfriend of mine was saying she was so eager to find out whether or not she was pregnant, she went to the drugstore for a test kit, and then straight across the road into the Tim Horton's (Cdn donut shop, long since bought out by Wendy's so no longer Cdn, but originally begun by Cdn hockey player Tim Horton, funnily enough - vastly popular coffee spot for central-Canada Cdns, if not also for Easterners - not so evident in the west). I said that was about as Canadian as you could get about having a baby, and the only more-Canadian thing you could do would be to conceive same baby in a canoe....Someone else at the table said, "Or at a hockey game, between periods..." I said, "It would have to be between periods....!" (rimshot please!)

I crack myself up! what a great yolk...it was truly eggstrordinary. [full of myself-e]

Posted By: wow Re:reversing first & last names - 07/06/02 05:14 PM
Last names precede given names

Very often in Asian countries. I believe that in China it is the custom to give the last ( family) name first in order, followed by the common name. ie Chang Liu in China would be Liu Chang in USA ...many Chinese who come to school in USA - for instance - have changed the way their names are presented on forms and cards so they are done the American way. Only time the names are really Chinese-correct is in lists alphabetized by last names.

For the Chinese Secret Police - if you are watching : No it's nobody I know, I don't even know if Liu is a Chinese name and I guessed at Chang ... it just looked and sounded right for purposes of illustration, here.

Posted By: modestgoddess Re:reversing first & last names - 07/08/02 04:12 PM
wow, your post and this part of this discussion remind/s me of The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon - Shonagon was the woman's first name. I am that anal-retentive that I have all my books in alphabetical order by author (but that's another story!), and I have that one under "Sei."

Posted By: dodyskin Re: PMS - 07/08/02 04:17 PM
my parents tried hard but i still ended up with SCM (scum to me mates) and my brother changed his perfectly acceptable name when he married, to Colley. Nothing wrong with Colley but now he signs his name E.Colley

© Wordsmith.org